Top 10 in State 2016

owlman1967

I literally said none of what you just claimed. But okay. Every team mentioned is better than my team this year. The post said list your top ten. I did. I disagreed with some people on here. Asked for reasons why they believed what they did and gave reasons for why I believe what I do. I didn't get much back from Whithaven until very late in the discussion. I presented the scores from this year while saying games between Whitehaven Oakland BA and MBA would be great games I'd be willing to pay to see. I simply stated I thought BA and MBA were more battled tested and would likely win in my opinion. Never disrespected the Whithaven team or said they aren't good. But go ahead keep putting words in my mouth. lol if I'm insecure about high school football I really need to reavaluate my life. I played in my day, got a ring and went on to play college ball. I'm not insecure about anything. I now Have a job the requires me to watch a lot of high school football and contributed my knowledge and all the ball ive seen.

But according to you I believe Whithaven is terrible and that D2 is superior to every public team ever. Lol. What else would you like to make up that I said?

Spartan4Life:

I posted my top 10 list with Whitehaven and Oakland as 1 and 2. I had BA 3rd I believe. I don't remember the rest and I'm not going back through this thread to find it. Anyway, you don't agree. I don't have issue with that. However, none of the polls, or stats, or strength of schedule stuff, or whatever else you can find will convince ME othrrwise about who I THINK is better. I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. You don't have to convince me otherwise. You can think BA is the best. I can think Whitehaven is the best. You choose your list. I will choose mine. Nobody is right. Nobody is wrong.

You can look at offensive production and you can look at defensive prowess of each team and compare them if you wish, but it tells you absolutely nothing. I don't agree that BA is more battle tested then Whitehaven or Oakland or Maryville for that matter. I don't give stock in those comparative analysis.

The only thing that matters is the outcome of an actual game.

PERIOD.

I'd like to see week one's schedules on hold until the state finals are done, then the first week of the next fall, place the state title winners against each other. Examples, D2-A winner Lausanne vs 1A Dresden, 2A Trezevant vs 3A Alcoa, 4A East vs 5A Farragut, 6A Whitehaven vs D2-AA Brentwood Academy.

Yes, lineups would change and there would be blowouts because it but it would be huge for football in the state. Use money made from the gate for team hotel and food costs in Nashville or Murfreesboro. The attendance would be bigger than the state finals I believe. Better weather and more exciting matchups.

Kwc if this were the case we would have no college game day or NFL pregame shows. Analysis is part of the game and part of the fun. How teams would match up is easy to see based on the history of their work but you are right no one can be sure of an outcome without playing the game.

I was happy to see you guys win it . I was doubtful only because Oakland appeared to be as good if not better than their 2008 team. I enjoyed the game - enjoyed watching them all this year.

Spartan4Life:

I posted my top 10 list with Whitehaven and Oakland as 1 and 2. I had BA 3rd I believe. I don't remember the rest and I'm not going back through this thread to find it. Anyway, you don't agree. I don't have issue with that. However, none of the polls, or stats, or strength of schedule stuff, or whatever else you can find will convince ME othrrwise about who I THINK is better. I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. You don't have to convince me otherwise. You can think BA is the best. I can think Whitehaven is the best. You choose your list. I will choose mine. Nobody is right. Nobody is wrong.

You can look at offensive production and you can look at defensive prowess of each team and compare them if you wish, but it tells you absolutely nothing. I don't agree that BA is more battle tested then Whitehaven or Oakland or Maryville for that matter. I don't give stock in those comparative analysis.

PERIOD.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

I'd like to see week one's schedules on hold until the state finals are done, then the first week of the next fall, place the state title winners against each other. Examples, D2-A winner Lausanne vs 1A Dresden, 2A Trezevant vs 3A Alcoa, 4A East vs 5A Farragut, 6A Whitehaven vs D2-AA Brentwood Academy.

Yes, lineups would change and there would be blowouts because it but it would be huge for football in the state. Use money made from the gate for team hotel and food costs in Nashville or Murfreesboro. The attendance would be bigger than the state finals I believe. Better weather and more exciting matchups.

I like that idea. I think 1A vs 2A and D2A vs 3A would be a better matchup.

Lausanne or Webb would easily have their way with 1A Schools.

Overall I like the idea though except next year there will be 9 champs....who is the odd class out? Haha.

Spartan4Life:

PERIOD.

How is BA not more battle tested than whitehaven or Oakland? Harder schedule = battle tested lol

How is BA not more battle tested than whitehaven or Oakland? Harder schedule = battle tested lol

That's just it. The schedules are all different. Region play is different, depending upon where you are in the state. Just because so and so magazine says that so and so school has a harder schedule then the other schools, doesn't actually make it a true and accurate statement. That just happens to be their opinion. Even if you use pure algorithms. Some one had to assign weight and value to the algorithms to determine outcome. Whose to say that the weight assigned is correct and reliable? YOU? The creator of the algorithm? Case in point, LazIndex has the algorithm he uses, and it still isn't 100 percent accurate. It gets some games right, notwithstanding, it gets some games wrong. Determining strength of schedule is ...

SUBJECTIVE

At BEST.

Especially in high school. If you are relying on THAT little nugget, well ... have at it ... they are usually worthless in actually determining how two REALLY GOOD teams will fare against each other. It may get the winner of a game and the spread right. It may get the winner right but the spread wrong. It may be wrong on both accounts. Just because a computer spits out an outcome, doesn't make it so.

Look, I have no doubt that BA is battle tested. Whitehaven is battle tested. MBA is battle tested. Oakland is battle tested. They are all battle tested.

Just because one publication says that school so and so had a harder schedule then school A, doesn't actually make it so. No one really knows if Region 1 is stronger then Region 3, or if Region 3 is stronger then Region 4, or if D2-2A West is stronger then Class 6A Region 4, or anything. It is the biggest mess of subjectivity that there is.

Don't misunderstand me either. I do see value in SOS and other metrics. They do have their uses. But you always have to use that information with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, it's just meaninglessness gobbly-gook when you get to this stage.

However, you guys, just have fun with it.

Edited by kwc

Ignorance is Bliss I guess.

2016 Results

Baylor(D2AA) 35 Rhea County (5A) 0

Briacrest (D2AA) 41 Germantown (6A) 28

CBHS (D2AA) 22 White Station (6A) 14

CBHS (D2AA) 41 Houston (6A) 21

MBA (D2AA) 49 Pearl Cohn (4A) 7

McCallie (D2AA) 49 Blackman (6A) 10

MUS (D2AA) 19 Memphis Central (5A) 13

MUS (D2AA) 40 Ridgeway (4A) 22

Pope John Paul (D2AA) 54 (6A) Coffee County 14

Average D2AA Baylor mercy ruled 5A Rhea County who pushed 5A state champion Farragut to the wire 33-30 in the playoffs.

Pearl Cohn only lost one other game all year... To Memphis East by a single point.

Christian Brothers a below average D2AA beat 6A WhiteStation worse than 6A state champion Whitehaven did.

MUS another average D2 school also beat Ridgeway by the same amount as your 6A State Champs Whitehaven.

McCallie, the fourth best team in D2 beat the 6th ranked 6A Blackman by 39.

Ensworth beat 2A champion Trez 54-14.

I can even throw in some smaller D2 schools like Lausanne and Webb who beat 5A and 6A teams this year.

Webb beat Oak Ridge who is the only team to beat 5A state champ Farragut this year.

There is proof of D2 schools not only going undefeated but also whooping 5A and 6A schools. There is nothing more to say. The proof is in the games played and common opponents. If you want to continue to be ignorant than by all means continue. Whatever helps you sleep well at night.

I have much respect for Whitehaven Oakland and Maryville and I do believe these teams could field competitive games but for you to honestly think anyone else could come within a couple scores of the top D2AA teams just shows how delusional you are.

When people try and argue which league is better it's hilarous. It's not even close. Big boys play in D2AA. There are good teams in 5a 6a don't get me wrong. But D2 is something different that's why it's considered the SEC of high school football.