What is your definition of athlete in girls basketball?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the best athletes I have seen are Jennifer Wilson (Oak Ridge), Ashley Earley (Briarcrest), Abi Ramsey (Shelbyville), Erin McGinnis (Oak Ridge), Courtney Vance (Bristol), Jennifer Azzi (Oak Ridge), and Erin Young (Oak Ridge). That should rekindle some fond memories in people who are from Oak Ridge.

Of the players I have listed Azzi is of course the best but the player who worked the hardest to achieve her fullest potential was two time Class AAA Miss Basketball, All - Everything in the Southern Conference at UT - Chattanooga Miss Automatic Jennifer Wilson, currently head coach at Hardin Valley High in Knoxville. To say she out worked Azzi is a bold statement because Azzi was a basketball junky, gym rat and basketball jones all rolled up into one dynamic explosive fireball.

All the players I listed could run the floor, score off the dribble, play in your face defense, receive the ball turn and fire in one smooth motion, anticipate the flow of the game, rebound and shoot the three ball.

They also had something in common, they were coached by Jill Prudeen (Oak Ridge) and Lynn Burkey (Oak Ridge and Tennessee Stars).

To me the thing that has made Tennessee Girls Basketball so dominant is the number of great coaches in high school and of course Pat Summit. Who can forget the great programs like White County, Shelbyville, Lawrence County, Coffee County, Upperman, Livingston Academy, Gallatin, Meigs County, South Greene and Oak Ridge. I am leaving out some spectacular programs due to my failing memory.  I bet all or most all were ranked in the USA Today Top 20 at some point in time. These were programs of local girls and not international stars like Hamilton Heights in Chattanooga. I love Hamilton Heights because I know people in their program but give me good old fashion small town pride, bust your butt, run threw walls Tennessee girls every time.

Writing this post has been fun. I will miss the days when I can no longer remember such fond memories.

Edited by WillieTheWildcat

Some of the best athletes I have seen are Jennifer Wilson (Oak Ridge), Ashley Earley (Briarcrest), Abi Ramsey (Shelbyville), Erin McGinnis (Oak Ridge), Courtney Vance (Bristol), Jennifer Azzi (Oak Ridge), and Erin Young (Oak Ridge). That should rekindle some fond memories in people who are from Oak Ridge

Of the players I have listed Azzi is of course the best but the player who worked the hardest to achieve her fullest

potential was two time Class AAA Miss Basketball, All - Everything in the Southern Conference at UT - Chattanooga Miss Automatic Jennifer Wilson, currently head coach at Hardin Valley High in Knoxville. To say she

out worked Azzi is a bold statement because Azzi was a basketball junky, gym rat and basketball jones all rolled up into one dynamic explosive fireball.

All the players I listed could run the floor, score off the dribble, play in your face defense, receive the ball turn and fire in one smooth motion, anticipate the flow of the game, rebound and shoot the three ball.

They also had something in common, they were coached by Jill Prudeen (Oak Ridge) and Lynn Burkey (Oak Ridge and Tennessee Stars).

To me the thing that has made Tennessee Girls Basketball so dominant is the number of great coaches in high school and of course Pat Summit. Who can forget the great programs like White County, Shelbyville, Lawrence County, Coffee County, Upperman, Livingston Academy, Gallatin, Meigs County, South Greene and Oak Ridge. I am leaving out some spectacular programs due to my failing memory. I bet all or most all were ranked in the USA Today Top 20 at some point in time. These were programs of local girls and not international stars like Hamilton Heights in Chattanooga. I love Hamilton Heights because I know people in their program but give me good old fashion small town pride, bust your butt, run threw walls Tennessee girls every time.

Writing this post has been fun. I will miss the days when I can no longer remember such fond memories.

Azzi was great ,one of the best to ever play in TN. Summit never really recruited her did she? Was player of the year at Stanford and won a national title and I think made the cover of s sports illustrated ? Edited by anotherback

Some of the best athletes I have seen are Jennifer Wilson (Oak Ridge), Ashley Earley (Briarcrest), Abi Ramsey (Shelbyville), Erin McGinnis (Oak Ridge), Courtney Vance (Bristol), Jennifer Azzi (Oak Ridge), and Erin Young (Oak Ridge). That should rekindle some fond memories in people who are from Oak Ridge.

Of the players I have listed Azzi is of course the best but the player who worked the hardest to achieve her fullest potential was two time Class AAA Miss Basketball, All - Everything in the Southern Conference at UT - Chattanooga Miss Automatic Jennifer Wilson, currently head coach at Hardin Valley High in Knoxville. To say she out worked Azzi is a bold statement because Azzi was a basketball junky, gym rat and basketball jones all rolled up into one dynamic explosive fireball.

All the players I listed could run the floor, score off the dribble, play in your face defense, receive the ball turn and fire in one smooth motion, anticipate the flow of the game, rebound and shoot the three ball.

To me the thing that has made Tennessee Girls Basketball so dominant is the number of great coaches in high school and of course Pat Summit. Who can forget the great programs like White County, Shelbyville, Lawrence County, Coffee County, Upperman, Livingston Academy, Gallatin, Meigs County, South Greene and Oak Ridge. I am leaving out some spectacular programs due to my failing memory. I bet all or most all were ranked in the USA Today Top 20 at some point in time. These were programs of local girls and not international stars like Hamilton Heights in Chattanooga. I love Hamilton Heights because I know people in their program but give me good old fashion small town pride, bust your butt, run threw walls Tennessee girls every time.

I'd also add Tiffany Krantz (Livingston Academy played with Sudae Watson) and Amy Geren ( only player to win MVP of state on losing team for Bradley against a loaded Shelbyville team ) she played with another great and your current lady Wildcat coaches Paige Redman Green

I'd also add Tiffany Krantz (Livingston Academy played with Sudae Watson) and Amy Geren ( only player to win MVP of state on losing team for Bradley against a loaded Shelbyville team ) she played with another great and your current lady Wildcat coaches Paige Redman Green

Amy also won the Volleyball MVP twice on Bradleys state championship teams. Was a pretty good shortstop insoftball too.