Cheerleading

eglchic55

I will gladly still wave the ignorance wand at you, it is obvious that you really have no idea as to what you're talking about when it comes to baseball. Sure, in little league we could all stand around and pick daisies, just as in youth basketball we would all run around like chickens with our heads cut off, but as you grow older the game advances. You said that basketball players are constantly moving and all that, but one of the hardest parts of baseball is knowing that at any time you may have a job to do even though you are not in every single play. As far as basketball taking the most skill, I will laugh at that statement. I have played baseball and basketball all my life and there is no way that basketball takes more skill, better endurance and often times better athletes, yeah, more skill, no chance. It's the mental part of baseball that makes it so tough, you may only get three chances a game to prove yourself, and any of those chances may lead to the loss or the victory. If you can find me one major league baseball player that stands around and scratches the whole game then please tell me who. You make it sound like baseball players don't have to be in good shape. To even be considered for as a middle-infielder in the major leagues you have to run a sub 6.6 60, and they often run sub 6.5's and 6.4's. The average MLB outfielder runs a sub 6.6. If that's not atheletic tell me what is. As far as them whining about getting paid and what not, I agree it's a shame, but basketball players do their fair share of whining as well. Until you have a clue as to what you're talking about I will definately wave the "ignorance wand" your way.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying the catcher is not a hard position. The catcher calls the pitches and also relays signs with the second basemen. The catcher also serves a very rigorous physical role by squatting the for the entire game and having 90+ mph fastballs being hurled at their heads.

[Edited by go370 on 11-24-02 9:33P]

I played basketball all of my life up until my freshman year of highschool. I was just ready for something new, so I figured I would join our schools cheerleading squad my sophmore year since it would be so much easier. I want you to know, I have had to work so much harder in these last two years now in cheerleading than I ever did in basketball. In basketball you have your point-guard, wings, and posts that have to make the plays. But in cheerleading you have the bases and the back-spot who are holding the flyers life in thier hands. Have you ever been responsible for some elses life in b-ball? I don't think so, but when a girl is being thrown 15 feet in the air, having to balance all their wieght on the hand of a guy, or pulling a full twisting layout on the wood floor, I think then they are putting thier life in the hands of a fellow cheerleader. So, before anyone else can diss cheerleading, how about you actually try and see if it is easier to do all the things combined in cheerleading and compare them to b-ball. Once you have tried these then you can have an opinion about it. :D;)

Since I've been in high school (I'm a senior this year), I have played football, and up until this year I have played basketball; I still play baseball. I am also presently a cheerleader for a select squad, so I'm around girls and guys that do all kinds of incredible tumbling all the time. I'd say that because I this, I know what baseball, basketball, and football require, as well as cheerleading. While it is not easy to do some of the things cheerleaders have to do, it doesn't even compare to the demands of other sports when you're serious about them. I learned how to hold a girl above my head with one hand in one day, I definitely did not learn how to play the other three sports in one day, or one year for that matter. Basketball, football, and YES BASEBALL are all sports, but I do not consider cheerleading a sport. A physical activity would be a much better description of it.

To whoever said baseball wasn't a sport and that the players besides the pitcher/catcher stand around and do nothing, I guess whenever an outfielder makes a diving catch or jumps and robs someone of a homerun, it's just an illusion, they're actually just still standing in the same place the entire time "scratching themselves." A-ROD never actually runs and dives to his right, gets up, turns, and throws the runner out from the outfield grass...He, also, is just standing there "scratching himself." I wish I could scratch myself like that. Of course he doesn't do this every play, but that just makes it more amazing that he does do it when he has to, he can't practice doing that. Whoever said everyone has to be involved in every play for it to be considered a sport?

Obviously you've had that "ignorance wand" way too long. It's time you get rid of it.

Look at it your own way over there. Like you said don't knock it till you try it. You said you played basketball up until 9th grade. Yeah me too, then I started living it. You played when you were like 13 in middle school. What middle school team has a weight program? Which ones do you know that practice year round. Not as a team but as individuals. Don't get on here talking about how easy city league basketball was for you and act like the sports a cake walk. Cause to be successful in it, just like anything else including cheerleading, you have to bust it harder than anyone else. You didn't see me get on here and bash your sport of cheerleading and I'm not going to. Just remember your experiences can't speak for everyone elses.

Oh and about all the baseball basketball who is better skilled or more athletic. I don't really know but I"m not about to knock a baseball player. There's not a lot of things harder to do than hit a little ball coming about 90 mph and breaking a foot outside once it gets there. Of course not everyone throws it like that but still professionals do and that is what we are comparing.

I have no problem with cheerleaders using this site. But the when the question of baseball being a sport came up i was stunned. how could anyone in their right mind think baseball wasn't a sport. and for the comment by a cheerleader about their conditioning program being harder than the ones for the guy's sports at their school, i would like to see them make it through one baseball or wrestling practice at my school without puking their guts out.

Posted by fastereddie:

Look at it your own way over there. Like you said don't knock it till you try it. You said you played basketball up until 9th grade. Yeah me too, then I started living it. You played when you were like 13 in middle school. What middle school team has a weight program? Which ones do you know that practice year round. Not as a team but as individuals. Don't get on here talking about how easy city league basketball was for you and act like the sports a cake walk. Cause to be successful in it, just like anything else including cheerleading, you have to bust it harder than anyone else. You didn't see me get on here and bash your sport of cheerleading and I'm not going to. Just remember your experiences can't speak for everyone elses.

excellent post!this is exactlly my point,in middle school,you "play" basketball,you think its hard,but you get to high school,BASKETBALL IS YOUR LIFE for the next 6-8 months,and for some,all year round,you lift,run,and drill yourself to death,and in cheerleading,no comparision,and neither is middle and high school basketball!