Cheerleading

eglchic55

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by ouch:

well i don't see a cheerleading board where else are they supposed to post? maybe coach t could create one for them. Its a sport too

you obviously are a new member,this idea,and controversy on whether or not cheerleading is a sport has been tossed aroumd MORE than enough times,and it hasnt happened yet,because most dont veiw cheerleading as an athltic event,which is why its not on a HIGH SCHOOL ATHELTIC website.and to be truthful,Im one of em,and dont see why a cheerleader would want........hmm,well im at a loss for words and im gettin tired of pushing the delete button,b/c i dont wanna sound hateful,but cheerleading isnt a sport,and i have a feeling this thread will be locked up soon.

if cheerleading isn't a sport, then why do we have competitions? if cheerleading isn't a sport, then how in the world do we lift girls above our heads, throw them up higher than most of you have ever flown, jump as high as most of u can jump, tumble like it's an easy thing, and do it all with a huge smile on our faces? tell me y it's not a sport if we have our own TSSAA competition every year? i mean doesn't that mean tennessee secondary school ATHLETIC association? if we're not athletes, then why in the world are we included in an ATHLETIC association? i don't know about some squads, but we practice just as much and just as hard if not harder as the other sports in our school, and by the way we have no off season, and we are not respected by many people, but we put up with it, and if you're an athlete in a different sport i expect u to support us, because that's all we do is support you!

sure cheerleading is a sport IN SOME CASES i view cheerleading in two categories, you have some cheerleading teams that are in competitions and do stunts and stuff that is where i can see it is a sport but in the other view you have some teams that pretty much stand there to get looked at, and that is about it, but i see both sides of the fence and those are just my two cents added in.

ok-- one person said that some cheerleading is a sport and some isn't... well mabye one reason that some squads aren't as good as others is because the school sees no importance in cheerleaders and doesn't take the time to find a coach that actually wants to be there and work with them. Some squads have a lot of potential there just isnt anybody there that cares. Cheerleaders do a lot for the school, and hardly get any credit. They get laughed at, made fun of, and can I say nobody has ever said they were proud of their cheerleading squad. Has anybody ever wondered what games and pep rallies would be like without cheerleaders?

If cheerleading is so stupid then why are so many star football players going to college on cheerleading scholarships???!!!!

Well to all of you who think cheerleading is not a sport then i ask you to attend a cheerleading practice and lift girls your own weight over your head,throw them high into the air,tumble on the hard floor, and do jumps that are high. I'm sure most of you would not survive or be capable of doing these things. I mean serisouly how difficult is it to dribble a ball and shoot it..not very hard. I use to play basketball and i find cheerleading a lot harder on my body than i did bball. And another thing I'm sick of cheerleaders being considered stupid. Most of the time we have better grades than the other sports. So everyone just needs to drop that subject. But i just wanted to explain that cheerleading is a sport!! And to those of you who think it isn't i would ask you to go on a gym floor and do a backhandspring back tuck......oh wait i know you would never be able to do that b/c it takes some actual talent. You tell me how hard is it to teach someone how to dribble a ball or throw a football?...not to hard. But you can never teach someome to tumble in a day. But once again cheerleading is a SPORT!! thanks

Like Handyy said, IN SOME CASES...at CCS and other schools like that...cheerleading is something some dumb girls dress up and "Cheer" (get looked at) during basketball games. But there are the cases of competition squads which I would consider a sport....it's too controversial (sp?) Anyways, Basketball anyone?

Posted by pcchick4life:

if cheerleading isn't a sport, then why do we have competitions?

Quiz bowl has competitions too. I've spent literally months of my life on becoming a better quiz bowl player, and I was pretty good...but I'll be the first to tell you it's not a sport, and I will never consider it one.

Yes, cheerleading requires athletic ability. Good cheerleaders have to work very hard at what they do, and I'm often impressed by how well-choreographed the routines are and how well the girls have their timing. But guess what? There's a lot of things out there that require great choreography, great timing, hard work, and athletic ability...and I don't consider them sports.

How would games be without cheerleaders? For me, not different at all. I'm usually paying enough attention to the games that I either don't notice the cheerleaders or don't care about them. I'm usually too busy either talking about the game, listening to someone else talk about the game, or trying to catch my breath after talking about the game. How would pep rallies be different without cheerleaders? Dunno, pep rallies stunk at my HS as it was.

And WCM, you can teach somebody to tumble in a day about as well as you can teach somebody to throw a spiral in one day. And about as well as you can teach somebody to shoot in one day.