Cheerleading

eglchic55

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by pcchick4life:

well. . .just to let you all know, I have been cheerleading for 6 years now. I have never had anything below an A on my report card. I just got inducted in to BETA Club. I am President of my class, Captain of our FCA, number 3 in my class, and guess what, quiz bowl guy, i was in quiz bowl in middle school, and i would be in high school, but our school doesn't have a team, so don't even go there. O yeah, one more thing, i can throw a spiral 60 yards.

shoot,if you can throw that good,why are you wasting your talent cheerleading??And the thing is,no matter how many "good" cheerleaders there are out there,there's always enough that will ruin it for everyone,i call em like i see em,and i see that cheerleading isnt a sport and cheerleaders(just cheerleaders)are not atheletes,if you play another sport,than your an athelte,but cheerleading is a social even,bottom line.

Guest beachrebel13

well all im gunna say is that maryville has some hot freakin cheerleaders and they can call it a sport an activity, whatever they want, they look good. and so do some of u others. if u got it, cheer it, im all about it. all that tumbling and throwin up the air, thats all some crazy stuff, but im not too much into the whole guys cheerin thing. guys either play the sport or watch it but leave the cheering for the cute girls with the make up and pom poms.

Alright, first of all, whoever said that cheerleading takes more athletic ability than football and basketball need to get a grip. Someone else said that cheerleaders can jump higher and are stronger(try to lift girls over your head), pleeeeease tell us you're joking. I heard some girls at our school saying that they work harder than the basketball players and they were complaining about how much they run and stuff. Our weightroom is in the same gym as where the cheeleaders practice and they've NEVER ran more than 10 laps(probably no more than 5). I think cheeleading brainwashes people so that they really think they are doing something more difficult than real sports when they should know they're not. I've been seeing these cheerleaders saying they've been cheering for 5 or 6 years like that's a long time. Haha, I've been playing baseball and basketball for 14 or 15 years, and I'm only 17. I'm sure many other people who play sports have been playing this long as well. Sure, I could probably teach someone to dribble or throw in one day, but the equivalent of the amount of skill they would aquire in one day would be about the same as doing a backwards somersault. If you want them to dribble WELL it could take years of practice. I bet even I could teach someone to do a backhandspring in a LOT less time than that.

I have to say that I am long out of all competitive sports, but I want to point out that there are athletes with tremendous amount of ability in their individual sports-all of them, cheerleading included. Just like there are so-so basketball players who go out for the team simply to be a part of a team, so are there in every sport. A standout in any sport is one who has not only the athletic ability, but a greater understanding of the sport as well. I have a tremendous amount of respect for basketball players-knowing what to do, when to do it, and being able to do it in a split second is admirable in any thing you do. In competetive cheerleading, nailing a stunt or tumbling pass, or even knowing that you hit your 8-counts as a single unit takes timing and great skill as well. Different sports appeal to different people. Check out the ammount of support the Lady Vols basketball teams give the Lady Vols soccer team and vice versa. Do you think Germantown students are any less proud of their cheerleaders' numerous National Championships than they would be a state championship in any sport? I certainly wouldn't be. BTW-this is a basketball board. There really should be a separate on for cheerleading-they deserve a forum too.

This debate could go on forever. No one will ever agree on the issue. The debate over sport and not a sport, for anything cannot be resolved. I think basketball takes the most athletic and most gifted people. Other things I do not consider a sport because of my personal preference. I do not consider bowling, nascar racing, and for the most part baseball, a sport.

My definition of a sport is pretty rigorous and cheerleading does fall in that category. Most of the cheerleaders do gymnastics in addition to cheerleading. Cheerleading is a social thing however. Most of the cheerleaders are "Miss Popular" at their school and like the attention of the whole crowd watching them. Back to the point. Cheerleading takes much skill and practice. I would not be comfortable with some of my best friends throwing me up in the air and catching me. They would probably drop me. Cheerleading however is not an extremely competitive sport when you are watching from the sidelines of a basketball or football game. The competitions take place away from the teams and usually on weekends away from most people's eyes.

And Finally, the girls are in shape. At my school, the girls ran about 3 miles a day, plus sit-ups, and push-ups. They did more push-ups than some of the guys on the basketball team could do. (I'm not talking the push-ups from the kness either)

I don't know if all cheerleading squads go through the same exercises as my school, but it would be hard for anyone. I think they don't get enough respect and definitely deserve more than the whiny pro baseball players. (which is not a sport, an activity or pastime better describes it)

i agree totally, how in the crap is baseball not a sport, having balls thrown and hit at you, and you having to react to it and use your hand eye coordination to catch the ball or to hit the ball. i know many people that cant hit a underhanded toss, much less a mid 80's fastball flying at them, but this is just my opinion. i feel it is very much a sport ;):)

Guest kqueen3

ok, the person's question that STARTED this whole thread, or whatever they are called, was "who is the best squad in mid. tenn.?" not, should it be considered a sport, how hard do you work, how far can you throw the person in the air, how much you work at practices. stick to the question guys. i mean, i understand how the argument got started, this is a boys bball board and not cheerleading, but i mean, come on... simma down........as for me, 2 of my best friends are cheerleaders, so i don't really have anything to say about if it is a sport or not LOL