Eligible

anotherback

This may help a little. A couple years ago we were approached by a D2 private about a co-op because they did not have wrestling. We are a d1 private currently. We entered the agreement because our numbers are low and I couldn't see a kid having to sit when he wanted to wrestle. A little deeper into the situation, they had signed an agreement with a metro Nashville public school and it was accepted by the tssaa but metro balked and canceled the agreement. What we had not considered at the time was we were d1 and they were d2. We could only accept certain athletes so that we were not in violation of the rules, ie financial aid and scholorship. The athlete was not on scholarship and he did not receive aid. Hope this helps

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you attend a private school and it doesn't offer wrestling what are the rules about wrestling for another school, does it also have to be a private school or can you wrestle public. If so is it the closet public school to your home address or the private school you attend?

Is the school part if TSSAA in other sports? If so, I believe the school must co-op with the nearest school. If not (meaning they are not TSSAA affiliated), then I believe it is treated like home schoolers and it would be the nearest school to you. At which point you have to contact the athletic director and submit a letter of intent to them, which is sent to the principal , then the county, and then TSSAA.

If the rules are the same as they used to be, the school he (or she) is attending must not have had a program for at least 3 years (that could be 5, I'd have to check for sure). If that's the case, then the student would be eligible to compete for another school (don't think it matters if it's public or private) provided both principles approve.

Why should kids have to wait 3-5  years to co op with another program if their school chose to drop the sport ?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but one of my buddies here at work is very good friends with Miller. I asked him. He said of the school doesn't have the program, you can play at another school (as long as you get accepted) and it "has to be a school closer to where you live" not the actual school. Your address to the nearest school.

Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but one of my buddies here at work is very good friends with Miller. I asked him. He said of the school doesn't have the program, you can play at another school (as long as you get accepted) and it "has to be a school closer to where you live" not the actual school. Your address to the nearest school.

Ok. Thanks.

If you attend a private school and it doesn't offer wrestling what are the rules about wrestling for another school, does it also have to be a private school or can you wrestle public. If so is it the closet public school to your home address or the private school you attend?

Ask Mark Reeves at TSSAA.

mreeves@tssaa.org

-TH

Edited by pantheon

Miller was a freaking load running the ball for Polk County.

That kids ate nails for breakfast, I'm sure of it!

Edited by FootballFan51

If this is the case, what would stop a private school from becoming a feeder for a public school. You could bring in athletes from out of zone, send them next door to wrestle...sounds like a plan. Now, who's got big money around here.......

If this is the case, what would stop a private school from becoming a feeder for a public school. You could bring in athletes from out of zone, send them next door to wrestle...sounds like a plan. Now, who's got big money around here.......

If a school doesn't have an wrestling program and he wants to wrestle, that doesn't make it a feeder program or anything like that. The kids can't help their schools doesn't have certain programs. This has nothing to do with money, recruiting or a feeder program. Had a lot to do with the boys or girls wanting to play a sport that their school doesn't offer.