BATTLE B/T BOYD & SOUTH PITT

2Strong

"I think one of the biggest reasons private schools have been doing so well the last few years is because parents want their kids to go to a better school, because they don't like the public school system."

Doesn't that sentence sum up why the total split should take place? Think about it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They recruit as does all private schools. To exist they have to compete and offer something better.If they offer a better education ,they will get better students,if they offer a good sports program,they will get better atheletes.They achive whatever they set out to. If they were into tap dancing ,they would get the best tap dancers. If you build it, they will come. Its built and they are coming. :(

Pujo,

You really surprise me sometimes. There are times your posts are astute and insightful. There are other times you come across with assanine statements. It almost makes me think that someone else is commandeering your username.

Of course, private schools "recruit." By the very nature of their existence, they must seek out students. Does Boyd Buchanan offer illegal or inappropriate enticements to athletes? I stand by previous statements made on this and other boards that they absolutely do not.

Many people in the TSSAA agree with Indian that private schools should be separated from the public schools. That is a debate/discussion that many people have made incredibly balanced and insightful statements about. Inflammatory, unsubstantiated accusations like yours and Csense's contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion!

I think Boyd offers a better education. I think most athletes want a good education, don't you Pujo? I've never seen advertisements for Boyd's athletic program. In fact, I don't see advertisements for Boyd. I think the biggest way Boyd gets students is from recomendations by parents. If that's recruiting, then Boyd's guilty. But it's the parents that make the decision where their students go. I would hope that parents wouldn't have their kids go to a school just because they were told their kid would start on the football team there. The only way Boyd would "recruit" is the same way SP does. Articles in the newspaper about the game from the past friday night. That's the only time I see stuff about Boyd's football team. If you want to talk about advertising, SP has a sign showing the years SP got all their state championships. They didn't put all the nuclear physicists and engineers that graduated from there. So from what I can tell, SP does more recruiting then Boyd.

If South Pitt is recruiting and Boyd is not, maybe they should check into selective enrollment. Selective enrollment is probably one of the private schools biggest advantages. I doubt many people are going to spend thousands of dollars a year and allow their kids to underachive. I don't know about Boyd but most private schools advertise. Once you get a good atheletic program built up,the recruiting takes care of itself. Most of the kids in the private schools are hard working,dedicated kids, some of ours are. We are set up completely different. Why have private schools if they are no different than ours. You don't except losers. The enrollment figures should be counted differently.

The problem with selective enrollment is that there is not enough room in the school for more students to come. I think maybe 5-10 new high schoolers were accepted at the most and none of them play football. It seems like if Boyd wanted to use selective enrollment they could have just kept refusing until an athlete came along and then accepted that person. The easiest thing I believe to get into at Boyd would be the elementary. The middle school and high school gets filled up really fast, and not with athletes. I don't remember the last time a football player started coming to the school during high school. Sure there are some accepted late like in the seventh or eighth, but most have come since elementary. I don't think it'd be right just to accept the person just because they play sports, but I also don't think it'd be right to refuse them because they play sports and we don't want to offend a public school person totally against publics and privates being in the same division.

stevie, I did not say Boyd recruits, A BOYD FAN SAID YOU RECRUIT. I just tell the news impartially without fear or favor. Why do you guys have such huge chips on your shoulders?

I am an equal opportunity instigator. Ask Pujo. I've ruffled his feathers a few times about Cloudland. Another observation: private backers get a whole lot more bent out of shape about their schools than public backers. I wonder why?

Congratualations to both Cloudland and Boyd on fine seasons, and future seasons.

[Edited by CSense on 12-12-02 6:49A]

I, personally, would love to hear what BBS athletes people might speculate have been recruited...? Please name names and give examples. Perhaps you might assume William Nelson? No, he's been there since 4th grade. Will Healy? No, been there since early elementary. Alex Jones? Been there since middle school and wasn't the player he is now until last year, he's improved a lot. You could name anyone on any athletic team and I could tell you that most of them have been there since elementary, which was years ago when the football team was a joke. My point is unless you think Boyd is timing the 40's of 6 year olds and asking how much they bench press you cant think Boyd is recruiting. But please, mention names of who you think Boyd might have recruited.

The selective enrollment argument is dumb. Boyd doesnt have the money to be turning prospective students down left and right, if you got your money and there is room in the classroom you can go to BBS. Pujo, I'd still be interested to hear what athletes you believe were recruited. It is obvious you don't trust the admissions office at BBS, or other private schools, and I am wondering where that distrust comes from. Do you honestly think conservative Christian educators would cheat to win football games? Do you honestly think that if this were the case the TSSAA would sit aside and do nothing? That lack of trust comes from somewhere. Perhaps you've watched too many football movies where private high schools can go out and hand pick kids. Perhaps you don't trust people and things with which you are unfamiliar. Or could it perhaps be that you've seen your fair share of recruiting up there in Cloudland (although the game at Finley Stadium would show us that the Landers havent recruited well enough ;) ). I was just wondering what would make an intelligent human not trust other intelligent adults for no good reason.

Derek, I wasn't given any names and I won't say any. I was just told that if you lost the championship game that it would hurt your recruiting. It was told by a Boyd parent. I wonder if maybe their child was recruited? I don't know, I'm just passing on what a BOYD PARENT SAID. Oh and your little smart remark to pujo about Cloudland not recruiting good enough? Well, guess what, brainiac, IF Boyd recruits they did not recruit quite good enough to win the championship. Better luck next time!!HAHAHAHAHA

See Stevie, boydbuc, etc you and the other fans make it so easy to do this, Derek fell right into that one!!