BATTLE B/T BOYD & SOUTH PITT

2Strong

They are wrong. We have had a few in the past but not this year. Alot of family,s are moving from Avery co NC to Carter Co Tenn. Its for practical purposes,lower taxes ,cheaper land, has nothing to do with football. Alot of them have small kids and our schools enrollment is rising. I could see us having 300 students somewhere in the near future. We would be a handful, if we are lucky enough to keep our coaches.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Boyd is a Christian school. Yes, we have kids who act like teenagers sometimes. Show me any place where everybody is perfect all the time and I'll show you heaven!

Recruiting? Bull! The school has survived for 50 years (most of them stinking @ football I might add) by word- of -mouth. A neighbor or relative asks about an alternative to public school because he knows that my kids go there. What do I tell him? It's not for everybody but it's great for our needs. Is it perfect? Don't be ridiculous.But know this: Ask ANYBODY who has taken the Boyd school tour for prospective families and they will all tell you the same thing- sports aren't even mentioned in the admission process!! There are too many other important things to consider. If that's "recruiting" then that's a perversion of Webster's "seek or obtain" definition when it comes to student athletes.

I promise this is a true story. I'll tell the story first and let you know my opinion second. I would also like to hear any one else's thoughts.

A good friend of mine (also a poster at times) went to the Boyd-Cloudland game last week and saw a lady who works at the same place he does on Boyd's side. He happened to run into her today at work and asked how she thought the game went. She was tickled and they talked about the game for a few minutes and got to talking about the championship game. My friend told her that he thought CPA would be hard to beat and her quote was , "If we(Boyd) don't win, it will definitely hurt our recruiting."

Now my comment: She obviously knows about Boyd's school and athletics and she has some sort of ties to the school. What she probably does NOT know is the debate surrounding recruiting and public vs. private schools. So it was an innocent comment to prove that yes, BOYD RECRUITS.

I've got a name people but I refuse to give it!!

CSense,

Might I kindly suggest that if this woman does not know about the public/private school controversy then whatever knowledge she might have of the school's athletic program is superficial at best. Surely she would not be privy to "secret recruiting." I propose she was simply making an innocent, general, and ignorant (in the sense of lack of knowledge) statement.

Another true story: Years ago, I sat behind a father at a football game who told the person sitting next to him that his son received a scholarship to play football for the school. I know for a fact that this was a bald-faced lie. Yet, I could certainly see it being used as "fact" in later conversations: "Listen, I know a guy, I can't tell you his name, whose son gets a scholarship to go to X."

"Yeah? How do you know?"

"The guy told me to my face!"

"Wow. I always knew they cheated."

Just food for thought.

[Edited by Dingo on 12-3-02 6:58P]

Dingo, I just stated what I heard and what I know. Like I said I have a name and you really don't know how involved this lady is, but I do. Like I said, I will not give the name out and frankly I don't care if you or any other private or Boyd backer believes me or not. She could very well be just as knowledgable about Boyd than you are or even more so. I actually work at the same place as well and can back up my friend's story AND her comments.

I just thought it was an interesting comment coming from a Boyd insider.

P.S. You probably need to have all the dad's of Boyd give a class to their spouses on what to say or NOT to say, or maybe yet HOW to say it. HAHAHAHAHA Instead of "recruiting" it should be "they may not be so tired of public education next year", or "they may not want to be around a Christian environment as much next year", "that might hurt our 8th grade enrollment of fine outstanding neighboring citizens next year".

CSense,

I apologize for my response. As far as believing you, I would think that the introduction, "Another true story," would answer that. I do believe you.

You are right in assuming I know nothing about Boyd. I was simply making an observation.

Again, I apologize for responding to your post. I mistakenly thought you were interested in an honest interchange. I seek discourse only with those who are interested in a fair and honest assessment of the facts.

I leave you to grind your axe and will bother you no more.

[Edited by Dingo on 12-3-02 9:36P]

-----------------------------------------------------

uncfan, did I say Marion and SP do not recruit? You are avoiding the issue just like most private backers, but like I've seen many times before, that is par for the course.

-----------------------------------------------------

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Do you agree that SP and Marion recruit?

What is the issue he was avoiding?

Can you explain what you mean by this?

The statement was made by a Boyd insider that they recruit, contrary to what some other Boyd fans say. It was just an odd statement coming from someone who knows about Boyd football, but may not know about these debates. The first response was not about Boyd, but that other schools also recruit (SP and Marion). Why the sudden interest in Marion County anyway? Could it be where you are recruiting some of the better players from? It's like, well other schools do it so it is ok for us. I mentioned nothing about SP or Marion because I did not hear of an insider from those schools say recruiting would be hurt if they lost the championship game.

Do you agree that SP and Marion recruit?

I do not know and will not speculate, like I said, because I did not hear a SP or Marion insider say they do.

What is the issue he was avoiding?

Whether or not Boyd recruits. If they don't they don't. If they do they do. I don't really care one way or the other. It was just an interesting comment, for the record, at least ONE Boyd insider says they do.

I don't care about what people hear. People take different things differently. One good example is the Bible. I believe that what I read and practice is in line with what the Bible, but people believe thousands of different things about it. That "Boyd insider" could have been joking (and probly was) and didn't know that the person would take it the wrong way.

I've actually talked to some of Boyd's football players, and every single one I've talked to says that we don't recruit. And I'd have to agree with them. Boyd can't afford to recruit. Just take a look at our field and facilities for football. When I see them, I wouldn't want to immediately join the team. SP's facilities are probly nicer. SP's field I know is nicer. Anyway, I've talked to the players. Yall are saying they're recruited. But they are saying they aren't. In fact, they are mad that people accuse Boyd of that. Accusing a team of that takes some of the pride away of how good the program is. We don't accuse SP or any other team of recruiting when they get good. Every team has their good years. I think one of the biggest reasons private schools have been doing so well the last few years is because parents want their kids to go to a better school, because they don't like the public school system. At least that is how it is in Chattanooga. Don't mean to offend anyone who thinks differently, but the statistics show that more and more people are going to private or homeschooling. The more people that come, naturally athletes are mixed in with that number.

Until yall have undeniable evidence that Boyd recruits, please stop making those accusations. That "Boyd insider" is not valid enough. The person who brought it up doesn't even know if it's necessarily true.