McNairy Central for Real

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Y'all were one of two teams in West Tennessee I believe that didn't scrimmage a team in late July/early August. However, y'all played Freedom Prep. Was that planned? Let Freedom Prep be the "scrimmage game"?

Last season, we lost our RB which was going to be the key to the offense for the year and season before we lost our main RB and then our best defensive players all in preseason scrimmages games. So, the coaches decided to not play any scrimmage games this year and hope to be fully healthy to start the season. Health was the plan but it did help to start off with Freedom Prep. 

Still got a lot of concerns going through the rest of the season. Hopefully, they can take some things away from Week 1 and keep improving each week. At least get wins over Covington and Westview and make the playoffs would be a plus. But, still got lots of work to do. 

If Freedom Prep stays healthy, I think they have a shot of making the playoffs out of their region in 1A. They don't have much depth, probably have about 23 players. After their starters, it look like a big drop off. But they got size on the lines and a couple athletes. The QB was inconsistent but he made some very nice throws at times and he ran the ball well. Plus he is a good size QB, but hopefully he doesn't take too much of a beating the rest of the year. He took a lot of shots Friday and had the ball in his hands a lot.

1 hour ago, LetMeHearYA said:

Last season, we lost our RB which was going to be the key to the offense for the year and season before we lost our main RB and then our best defensive players all in preseason scrimmages games. So, the coaches decided to not play any scrimmage games this year and hope to be fully healthy to start the season. Health was the plan but it did help to start off with Freedom Prep. 

Still got a lot of concerns going through the rest of the season. Hopefully, they can take some things away from Week 1 and keep improving each week. At least get wins over Covington and Westview and make the playoffs would be a plus. But, still got lots of work to do. 

If Freedom Prep stays healthy, I think they have a shot of making the playoffs out of their region in 1A. They don't have much depth, probably have about 23 players. After their starters, it look like a big drop off. But they got size on the lines and a couple athletes. The QB was inconsistent but he made some very nice throws at times and he ran the ball well. Plus he is a good size QB, but hopefully he doesn't take too much of a beating the rest of the year. He took a lot of shots Friday and had the ball in his hands a lot.

Thanks for the info! I noticed Freedom Prep's schedule and they will also play Ripley and Lake County later on the season. I want to see those charter schools in Memphis succeed in sports. I've heard of Middle College as well. M.A.S.E out of Memphis played their first game last night in schools history as well, but lost to Fayette Ware.

I want to see McNairy Central make the playoffs, but it looks like the game against South Gibson will be the game. I believe Covington is a 'lock.' Even though the Hornets beat Lexington, I am still not sold on SGC simply because I know Lexington is down. But I'll let nature play it course and see in the future. Goodluck to y'all!!

7 hours ago, Bobcats83 said:

Don't defend us playing freedom prep. We knew it should be an easy game. If they make playoffs it'll be one and done and only because 1A schools in Memphis aren't very good. 

Glad we got the W but this game didn't tell us anything.  

I did not defend us playing Freedom Prep at any point, even acknowledged it being an easy game. My bad on giving an observation and opinion on a team that I saw play, especially a new school. Even though they play in Memphis, making the playoffs would be a big accomplishment for them in their 1st season. The more success they have, the better players they will draw to their school and build a team that is not such an easy out in the playoffs, example Trezevant. Which is why I assume TryNotToSuck is hoping charter schools succeed in sports in Memphis, so more kids will go there and have a chance at a better education and competitive in sports.

Also, this game did tell us something. Pass defense is still a concern and the line play on both sides of the ball has to get better. We are not going to play many teams whose lineman play both sides of the ball and get wore down. 

14 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Thanks for the info! I noticed Freedom Prep's schedule and they will also play Ripley and Lake County later on the season. I want to see those charter schools in Memphis succeed in sports. I've heard of Middle College as well. M.A.S.E out of Memphis played their first game last night in schools history as well, but lost to Fayette Ware.

I want to see McNairy Central make the playoffs, but it looks like the game against South Gibson will be the game. I believe Covington is a 'lock.' Even though the Hornets beat Lexington, I am still not sold on SGC simply because I know Lexington is down. But I'll let nature play it course and see in the future. Goodluck to y'all!!

I agree with you, I hope the Charter schools start having success. It may offer the kids a chance at a better education and along with good sports programs. I just hope that it's the charter schools that care about the education and not the money. 

Yeah, I know Lexington is down but that win impressed me more than Covington losing 16-6 to Munford. But, Munford may be good this year, I don't know much about them. Just the past few years, we could not stop South Gibson's run game and that's why I was going with Covington. But, I think both games are about equally important. 

I watched the game. Oline is still up in the air. QB rolled out away from pressure most of the night. So pass protection is yet to be seen. The RB looks slower this year and had few big runs but didn't run the ball that much. QB struggles with reads and just mostly throws ball up in the vicinity of the receiver and hope he makes a big play. I think the Spine and LB is the core of the team. They played well. The pass d is the same as the last 8 or more years. Not that great. And Central has a great PAT licker if the line gives him a chance to kick. Those Xtra points can win Games. All in all I hope they watch film and improve on the first game. Lets Win!