Covington @ South Gibson

CHARGERFAN

This is a key matchup to decide the Region 7-3A title. My Covington Chargers are on a roll. SGC is also sporting a gaudy record. I expect this one to have a playoff atmosphere. Given Covington's great playoff success, especially under Coach Wheeler, I would think that might favor the Chargers.

You don't have many matchups that feature two ranked teams from the same region. How do y'all see this one?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, fanoffootball2013 said:

Is it 100% that if Covington win they will get the number 1 spot? No matter if they lose to Bolivar?  

Yes. Bolivar has already lost two Region games (Milan and SGC). If Covington does win at SGC, then the most Region losses Covington could possibly have is 1 (if Bolivar were to beat them). Since Bolivar has two losses already, they could not finish ahead of Covington.

Now if Covington did beat SGC and lose to Bolivar, then Covington, Milan, and SGC would all have one Region loss. But with that scenario, Covington would have defeated both Milan and SGC. I'm assuming the tie breaker is head-to -head competition, which would make Covington Region 7-3A champ. 

I know somebody will straighten me out if I am wrong here. If correct, then this Covington @ SGC matchup could decide the Region championship. Now if Covington loses to SGC, I don't know how things fall out from there.

56 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Yes. Bolivar has already lost two Region games (Milan and SGC). If Covington does win at SGC, then the most Region losses Covington could possibly have is 1 (if Bolivar were to beat them). Since Bolivar has two losses already, they could not finish ahead of Covington.

Now if Covington did beat SGC and lose to Bolivar, then Covington, Milan, and SGC would all have one Region loss. But with that scenario, Covington would have defeated both Milan and SGC. I'm assuming the tie breaker is head-to -head competition, which would make Covington Region 7-3A champ. 

I know somebody will straighten me out if I am wrong here. If correct, then this Covington @ SGC matchup could decide the Region championship. Now if Covington loses to SGC, I don't know how things fall out from there.

Ok!  Sounds like Friday night should be one for the books. Hope the Chargers can pull it out!  Home field advantage in the playoffs will be great. 

8 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Wrong (in a way). In your second paragraph you said "if Covington beats SGC, then lose to Bolivar, then Covington, Milan, and SGC would all have one region loss." True in a way, but if you're going forward to Week 11, then either SGC or Milan would have 2 losses because they haven't played each other. They play each other on the last weekend.

Sheww......  This is going to be a game! I saw Covington play Ripley this past Friday night. Im not sure if Covington is that good or Ripley is that bad, or a combination of the 2.

SGC is going to have to play extremely well up front if they want to run the ball against the D-Line from Covington.

Covington and SGC are in the exact same boat. Win 1 of the last 2 region games and you are guaranteed a home playoff game. Win both of them your guaranteed home playoff games till the quarter finals.

The Hornets nest will be rocking this Friday night!

1 hour ago, ManOfMillions said:

Sheww......  This is going to be a game! I saw Covington play Ripley this past Friday night. Im not sure if Covington is that good or Ripley is that bad, or a combination of the 2.

SGC is going to have to play extremely well up front if they want to run the ball against the D-Line from Covington.

Covington and SGC are in the exact same boat. Win 1 of the last 2 region games and you are guaranteed a home playoff game. Win both of them your guaranteed home playoff games till the quarter finals.

The Hornets nest will be rocking this Friday night!

The two teams have played 2 common opponents:

Covington 48 McNairy 10 and SGC 35 McNairy 28

also

Covington 45 Westview 0 and SGC 26 Westview 10

Now comparative scores don't mean much, but there they are.

Each team has one loss on the road.

Munford (ranked #7 in 5A) defeated Covington 16 -6 in our opening game.

Crockett County (ranked #2 in 4A) defeated SGC 28-14.

I am excited to see this game Friday night. Covington fans travel extremely well, so SGC should expect a large crowd on the visitors side. I recall playing once at SGC about 5 or 6 years ago. Someone else may recall the exact year,