Crockett County @ Covington

CHARGERFAN

So now we can discuss this one. Each team was ranked in the latest AP poll. CC was #2 in 4A, and Covington was #7 in 3A. Of course, these rankings will change this week following the CC loss to Haywood, and the Charger's win over South Gibson County.

These teams have played some hard-fought contests over the years. Maybe someone has the energy to research the series record between the two.

The USAToday Score Predictor has CC winning 27 to 21. On the other hand, Sonny_Moore's Power Rankings show CC at 127 and Covington at 124. The difference is 3, but you then give Covington 3 points for home field advantage, and the game is a toss-up.

I like the Chargers to win at home. What do y'all think? 

OK, curiosity killed the cat. I do have an old Covington football program that lists historic schedule results from 1992 thru 2012. That shows 11 meetings of these two teams, with Covington ahead 8-3 on wins. I can't attest to any head-to -head results outside of that timeframe, because I don't have the data.

It would be hard to say.  I haven't seen Covington play in quite a while but it's obvious from the results of the games played that they have a very good football team.  How will the kids from Crockett Co. respond after their first loss of the season?  Like I said in a previous post, Haywood has a very strong, fast and athletic football team and although the results don't show it, the Cavaliers actually trailed in that game 35-7 in the 2nd qtr but they did not lay down.  They scored 3 unanswered TD's to get to within 7 points at 35-28 before Haywood pulled away.  I think the Cavaliers will bounce back and the coach's will have them ready to go.  I hope it's a good, injury free football game and good luck to both teams in the playoffs in their respective classes.

9 hours ago, Tigerfan256 said:

It would be hard to say.  I haven't seen Covington play in quite a while but it's obvious from the results of the games played that they have a very good football team.  How will the kids from Crockett Co. respond after their first loss of the season?  Like I said in a previous post, Haywood has a very strong, fast and athletic football team and although the results don't show it, the Cavaliers actually trailed in that game 35-7 in the 2nd qtr but they did not lay down.  They scored 3 unanswered TD's to get to within 7 points at 35-28 before Haywood pulled away.  I think the Cavaliers will bounce back and the coach's will have them ready to go.  I hope it's a good, injury free football game and good luck to both teams in the playoffs in their respective classes.

And I am the same way in regard to Crockett County. I have only seen their scores and their poll rankings. I expect a close game between two good teams. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am glad we have this game at home. Of course, it will be senior night, being the last home game. That can cause some emotional response from our players and could affect play. But, who knows which way that works. Are the seniors fired up to go out with a bang, or is it a downer as they finish their high school careers? 

We will see.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, CHARGERFAN said:

OK, curiosity killed the cat. I do have an old Covington football program that lists historic schedule results from 1992 thru 2012. That shows 11 meetings of these two teams, with Covington ahead 8-3 on wins. I can't attest to any head-to -head results outside of that timeframe, because I don't have the data.

Covington wins at home.