THE FOOTBALL GODS HAVE SPOKEN!!!

Southtowner

42 minutes ago, ladykee said:

Amen! How did Greenback even get picked to originally move to Region 1 anywwys. OZ was a no brainer! How many from Coalfield lobbied with TSSAA on behalf of OZ to get GB moved lol! Just kidding....kind of.

I wouldn't want GB or Coalfield either one to move. It was the only competitive game in both regions either team had. Our region games this year have been pathetic other than Coalfield. That is one reason we play up in out of conference games. Beginning of the season was the best competition until Coalfield in game 7. Last couple of years at least we had a traditionally good Oneida & good Harriman teams to compete with. We have too many Region matchups this year where you could just pick a play blindfold and have a high percentage chance to score. I hope we get someone's best effort in round 2 so we have to "play" football before meeting up with Coalfield again. Coalfield is in the same boat we are. 

Coalfield has a (HUGE) graduating class after this season. You could probably be safe saying Greenback has        region won next year to . I don't understand how football comp has gotten so weak that anyone can predict the season before it happens. Coalfield is and has been only comp in 1a this year. Next year that won't even be a discussion I don't think. Makes it boring to me.

22 hours ago, plumb69 said:

The real problem is that the playoffs have twice as many teams that qualify as should. Third and fourth place is not playoff caliber. The T$$AA doesn't see it that way so you have 1-9 teams in.

Out of the depths of anarchy, a voice of reason emerges. ;)

Edited by Southtowner
oops

18 hours ago, rlh said:

Cloudland struggled with Copper Pan.  That surprised me.

I know this sounds crazy, but that was the most physical defense we've playedagainst this  year.  They are not good at all on offense.  We did some really retarted stuff that put them in our red zone twice.  They only had one first down in the 2nd half.  I got to shake hands with several of their players.  I told them that I really admired their character to drive all that way being 2-7 and to play that hard.  Those boys love to play football, win or lose. 

Edited by THE KING

3 hours ago, THE KING said:

I know this sounds crazy, but that was the most physical defense we've playedagainst this  year.  They are not good at all on offense.  We did some really retarted stuff that put them in our red zone twice.  They only had one first down in the 2nd half.  I got to shake hands with several of their players.  I told them that I really admired their character to drive all that way being 2-7 and to play that hard.  Those boys love to play football, win or lose. 

I have alot of respect for those type teams!

On 10/29/2017 at 3:53 PM, plumb69 said:

The real problem is that the playoffs have twice as many teams that qualify as should. Third and fourth place is not playoff caliber. The T$$AA doesn't see it that way so you have 1-9 teams in.

Depends completely on the region. In some regions the fourth place team is better than everybody in another region.

As an example look at Region 3 in 6A. You have Oakland at 10-0 and then 3 teams at 8-2. Siegel was in that region and didn't even make the playoffs and probably would finish 2nd or 3rd in several of the other regions.

There have been several teams in the last decade or so get into the playoffs at 4-6 or 5-5 and get all the way to the championship game. I know Livingston Academy got in at 5-5 and won the championship.

2 hours ago, steelcityroller said:

Depends completely on the region. In some regions the fourth place team is better than everybody in another region.

As an example look at Region 3 in 6A. You have Oakland at 10-0 and then 3 teams at 8-2. Siegel was in that region and didn't even make the playoffs and probably would finish 2nd or 3rd in several of the other regions.

There have been several teams in the last decade or so get into the playoffs at 4-6 or 5-5 and get all the way to the championship game. I know Livingston Academy got in at 5-5 and won the championship.

I agree that the third and fourth place teams in one region could be better than the first or second place teams in another region. Livingston Academy did enter the 2005 (I think) playoffs at 5-5 and took a gold ball home.

However the fifth and sixth place teams in one region could be better than the third and fourth place teams in another region so where do you draw the line? 5-5 Livingston Academy winning state is an outlier and if this system stays the same long enough that will happen again.

What I'm saying is too many teams are allowed in the playoffs and a team with a sub five hundred regular season record does not belong in the playoffs period, even if the other three teams are Oakland, Whitehaven and Maryville. If you can't finish in the top two (my opinion) of your region then start practicing basketball.

The T$$AA wants these games so it will not change.

3 hours ago, plumb69 said:

I agree that the third and fourth place teams in one region could be better than the first or second place teams in another region. Livingston Academy did enter the 2005 (I think) playoffs at 5-5 and took a gold ball home.

However the fifth and sixth place teams in one region could be better than the third and fourth place teams in another region so where do you draw the line? 5-5 Livingston Academy winning state is an outlier and if this system stays the same long enough that will happen again.

What I'm saying is too many teams are allowed in the playoffs and a team with a sub five hundred regular season record does not belong in the playoffs period, even if the other three teams are Oakland, Whitehaven and Maryville. If you can't finish in the top two (my opinion) of your region then start practicing basketball.

The T$$AA wants these games so it will not change.

Good post.

1 hour ago, gfd709 said:

For those on here that say Greenback should have been in region 1 why was oakdale moved from 1 back to 2? From what I understand them and Oliver Springs both wanted in region 1! SO why not put them there???????

I never said Greenback should have been in region 1.   They were put there by the TSSAA and appealed that decision and they were granted to go to region 2. I stated that was fine by me.  Somebody else might have stated it but I didn't.  I'm gonna go back thru and reread to see if someone said that. I don't remember reading it.

On 10/31/2017 at 11:47 AM, Southtowner said:

I never said Greenback should have been in region 1.   They were put there by the TSSAA and appealed that decision and they were granted to go to region 2. I stated that was fine by me.  Somebody else might have stated it but I didn't.  I'm gonna go back thru and reread to see if someone said that. I don't remember reading it.

I didnt mean to imply you said it. It was just said we should have stayed there after we were put there. We have always been in region 2. Oakdale was in region 1 and they were moved to region 2, but requested to stay 1 ,or at least that what was told to me. Plus Oliver springs is new to the region and was put in 2, they also asked to be put in 1 so why not move them. Thats all i was saying. Sorry to ruffle feathers. Never ment to do that.