2017 4A Mr. Football Finalists

Lead

1 minute ago, DevilMan03 said:

You can’t win with you guys lol tell me this, who was Ac toughest game during the season? And if you think Ballard cant throw deep just wait lol 

I never said he cant throw deep, did I?  Also, I said AC had a week schedule, none of that is disputed, I asked that if what YOU say is true than why is Stanton a finalist?  If what YOU say is true and Ballard is only attempting 15 passes a game and you say that you rely on the team than YOU are the one implying that Greeneville is where they are because of the team, not Ballard.  This is all implied by Greeneville fans, not AC.  You guys are the ones talking about how AC is the beneficiary of a week schedule and that is going to be a determining factor as to why Ballard gets Mr. Football and not Martin, which may be true, but by that logic why is Martin even a finalist.  I mean, obviously the only reason they are where they are is because of who they played right? Wouldn't that mean that if SOS is a factor he shouldn't even be a finalist?  Who was Greenevilles toughest game?  Was it betsy?  Science Hill?  we just handled Betsy pretty good, and if I remember right, didn't one of Greenevilles fans make the comment that unless you are as good as Science Hill you will not blow out Betsy, or something to that effect?  We both beat East Ridge by pretty much the same, and we both beat Central by pretty much the same, you guys had a better game against Granger and we had a better game against Betsy, seems we are not that far apart, maybe the voters think the same thing, and if that is the case than Martin would have the edge.  Maybe its not, but who knows, but I do not see it being a fact that SOS is determining this when Martin is a finalist.

I'm sure there are other examples, but Dy'Shawn Mobley wasn't even a finalist back in 2011, so keep that in mind when it comes to this award; he broke Tory Fleming's single season rushing record (3,068 yards and 46 TDs) and led Powell to Cookeville that year. Finalist Brian Kimbrow (Memphis East lost in the 1st round) had less than 2,000 yards, and eventual winner I'Tavius Mathers (Blackman lost in the 2nd round) had ~2,600 yards and ~30 TDs. I don't know who truly "deserved" to win the award, but no one came close to what Mobley accomplished that year.

Ironically, that rushing record was broken the following year by Jalen Hurd (3,357 yards and 43 TDs), who also went on to win the award. Go figure. 

Edited by osunut2

2 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I'm sure there are other examples, but Dy'Shawn Mobley wasn't even a finalist back in 2011, so keep that in mind when it comes to this award; he broke Tory Fleming's single season rushing record (3,068 yards and 46 TDs) and led Powell to Cookeville that year. Finalist Brian Kimbrow (Memphis East lost in the 1st round) had less than 2,000 yards, and eventual winner I'Tavius Mathers (Blackman lost in the 2nd round) had ~2,600 yards and ~30 TDs. I don't know who truly "deserved" to win the award, but no one came close to what Mobley accomplished that year.

Ironically, that rushing record was broken the following year by Jalen Hurd (3,357 yards and 43 TDs), who also went on to win the award. Go figure. 

yes, my whole point about this is that nobody knows, but to say that Martin will not get it due to the schedule is a slap in the face.  Heck, they may not give it to either of them, their is another candidate and nobody knows who truly deserves it.  I honestly wish they would wait until the Semi Finals are over, you never know what a kid will do down the stretch.   To discount a 3rd of the season for one of the candidates with the competition they would face in the playoffs seems crazy to me, it also by the way I think backs up the fact that the competition is not as important to the voters as the performances.

8 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Mobley was a man playing amongst boys.  I remember him warming up before the game and he was bigger in person than on film.  As a Coach during that time frame that had the pleasure to coach against Powell you had to try to contain him because you sure as heck knew you weren't going to stop him!  Great Player!

1 minute ago, Swipes said:

Mobley was a man playing amongst boys.  I remember him warming up before the game and he was bigger in person than on film.  As a Coach during that time frame that had the pleasure to coach against Powell you had to try to contain him because you sure as heck knew you weren't going to stop him!  Great Player!

Hey AC came into Powell and pulled out a win from the undefeated Panthers. That was a fun game.

27 minutes ago, Mav4life said:

yes, my whole point about this is that nobody knows, but to say that Martin will not get it due to the schedule is a slap in the face.  Heck, they may not give it to either of them, their is another candidate and nobody knows who truly deserves it.  I honestly wish they would wait until the Semi Finals are over, you never know what a kid will do down the stretch.   To discount a 3rd of the season for one of the candidates with the competition they would face in the playoffs seems crazy to me, it also by the way I think backs up the fact that the competition is not as important to the voters as the performances.

I do agree, I think playoff performance should count. That said, I can absolutely see the voters giving the award to Ballard due to SOS. I still think that is a key reason why Mobley wasn't a finalist in 2011. You had Robinette (Maryville), Kimbrow (Memphis East), Mathers (Blackman), and Mobley (Powell). Someone had to be the odd man out, and I think the perception was that Powell played a weak regular season schedule that year. Hard to argue - their best wins were Oak Ridge (6A quarters) and Austin-East (3A semis), and I think most of us were wondering what would happen once they got to the playoffs. It turns out that they were pretty darn good; that title game versus Henry County was an incredible game.

Edited by osunut2

I can guarantee you that Cade would trade in a Mr. Football award for a gold ball any day.  His quote in the paper after being named a semi-finalist says it all "It's Very cool to be considered, but it's a team award for me. The guys around me make it easy. You can put my name on any trophy you want, but it's the Greene Devils trophy. The only one that matters is the one they give out in Cookeville in five games.  Thats the big one to me.  That's the one our eyes are on and thats the one we are going to try and go get."  Talk about one of the most humble and grateful people you will ever meet

2 minutes ago, KEV-O said:

You seriously can't be that oblivious to the fact Cade earned those states while also playing 6à schools. Who was the biggest and beast team AC played during the regular season? It's easy to put it record numbers when your schedule is nothing to brag about....

did I ever once argue any of that?  Did you not see where I said that I agree 100% with AC having a weak schedule?  My whole point was about how obviously that's not what the voters are basing it off of because if it was Martin would not be this far in the voting process.  Martin has had bigger games as the competition has gone on, I am not saying that has any impact as if it did than he would hands down be the favorite, heck, he had over 500 yards of offense and what, like 5 or 6 TD's against Betsy and had a 68 yard TD called back on a drive we didn't score on.  My point is you can not discount his performance during the season due to the schedule when it is becoming pretty apparent with his recent performances that the season was not a fluke.  How many times was AC up 21-0 or 28-0 or 35-0 in the first qtr and then coasted?  If it was all about stats Martin would have averaged over 500 yards a game if they wanted to, but because of the weak schedule and comfortable leads he didn't.  The argument could almost be made that if they played better competition and he had to play 100% of all the games he may have better stats, I mean the great Betsy team that was supposed to Mercy rule AC according to some on here is proof of just that right?  because is they are not than you are saying they are overrated as well, are they?  Nobody knows, but with him being a finalist I do not think they are putting as much in the SOS as you may think.  Cade may win it and is deserving, by this stage in the process all 3 are obviously deserving and any of the 3 can win it.