Da Haven

dannyq

The Commercial Appeal: Hogs or Vols? Four-star LB Eason down to final two

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/09/10/football-recruiting-bryson-eason-tennessee-arkansas-ut-vols/2262955001/

Whitehaven linebacker Bryson Eason has trimmed his college list down to his final two schools, Tennessee and Arkansas.

"Tennessee is a great program and they’re doing a lot of rebuilding over there so they’re looking for me to come in and be a leader, starter, hard worker and everything like that," Eason said. "It’s really the same with Arkansas, it's just that my buddy, my best friend (Martavius French) is going there."

French and Eason, both four-star linebackers, have been playing together since middle school. French said that playing alongside Eason in college would be a "dream come true." Eason said that his relationship with French is a big factor in his decision-making.

"Right now it's playing a big role, like a really big role. Because right now we’re starting the season off right, having fun, bonding together and I’m thinking to myself, ‘Why not continue it at the collegiate level?' That's one thing that’s going through my head," Eason said. "The other thing is that maybe I could start something of my own (at Tennessee) and it's time for everybody to break up since (teammate) Tamarion (McDonald) is going to Mississippi State and Martavius is going to Arkansas."

Eason plans on taking official visits to both schools and said he might also take one to Mississippi State. His Arkansas visit is set for Oct. 19 when the Razorbacks host Auburn.

Eason said that Tennessee's 0-2 start hasn't scared him away from the program. If anything, he said it reinforces the fact that the Volunteers need help and makes his vision for stepping in and playing a big role more clear.

7c675f70-4cac-4eff-9a65-259c53e9c98e-Bry

"Just because they’re having one bad year doesn’t knock them off completely," Eason said. "Really it boosts them up, like, ‘Hey they need help’ and I can come step in and do this or do that. Everything is mutual. I’m still looking on the bright side."

Eason has also noticed that Arkansas has secured a commitment from Central receiver Darin Turner. If Eason commits to Arkansas he would be the third member of the Commercial Appeal Dandy Dozen to do so.

"Having a lot of guys that I know and that have played with before that are ballers and going to the collegiate level with them could be real special," Eason said.

Tennessee doesn't have any Class of 2020 commitments from the Memphis area but is still in the running for top prospects such as West Memphis offensive lineman Chris Morris and Briarcrest Christian defensive lineman Omari Thomas.

Greetings, my name is Khari

Memphis is a great place to be a high school sports reporter. The city has a wealth of young talent and rich stories waiting to be told. Please help us keep you informed with breaking news, compelling features, and video highlights by subscribing to The Commercial Appeal today.

Infogram logo

Edited by kwc

The Commercial Appeal: Whitehaven's Miss. St. LB commitment  hasn't ruled out Memphis, others

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/09/13/tennessee-high-school-football-recruiting-memphis-tamarion-mcdonald/2263070001/

Even for a school that has produced as many quality linebackers in recent years as Whitehaven, it's rare to have three of SEC caliber in the same graduating class.

But that's exactly what the Tigers have in Bryson Eason, Martavius French and Tamarion McDonald.

Even though French has committed to Arkansas and McDonald has committed to Mississippi State, the trio hasn't ruled out playing together in college. Eason is choosing between Arkansas and Tennessee.

"We would just be sitting and thinking, like we were at Martavius’ house, Bryson’s house and just texting in our groupchat like, ‘We should keep it how it's been since middle school.' It still could happen," McDonald said.

McDonald is keeping his options open. He doesn't have an offer from Arkansas.

French said that Arkansas offering McDonald in the spring might have secured a much earlier commitment from all three.

"In the spring we were pushing him (McDonald) and if Arkansas was going to offer him we were all going to commit on the spot but they never did. I think his time will come around because he's still balling out this year and we still have more to go," French said.

Still considering Memphis, others

McDonald committed to Mississippi State in May and said that he made his decision based on relationships with the coaching staff, the program's track record of sending players to the NFL, and where he sees himself fitting in on the depth chart.

"They produce good defensive players. They put defensive players in the league. It feels like a family when I go down there," said McDonald.

But McDonald is still keeping in contact with Ole Miss, LSU and Memphis and plans to take official visits to those schools along with Mississippi State. He plans to be in Starkville next weekend when the Bulldogs host Kentucky and Oxford on Nov. 16 when the Rebels host LSU.

McDonald said he is still seriously considering Memphis and talks with coach Mike Norvell and assistant Anthony Jones regularly. He was at the Liberty Bowl last weekend when Memphis beat Southern and was impressed with how the fans embraced former Tiger Tony Pollard, who was at the game.

"They really ain't gotta show me nothing. It's really on me. They’re doing their job. They’re winning, putting people in the league," McDonald said. "When I saw how much love they gave Tony Pollard, it make me think if I would get the same love if I stayed."

'The kid can do it all'

McDonald plays a number of positions for Whitehaven. He lines up at receiver, tight end, linebacker, safety and is the team's punter. He also has the ability to play quarterback if needed.

"The kid is just an unbelievable athlete," Whitehaven coach Rodney Saulsberry said. "The kid can do it all"

McDonald is primarily being recruited as an outside linebacker. He's the No. 20 prospect in Tennessee and the No. 34 outside linebacker in the nation according to the 247Sports Composite. He posted 90 tackles, three forced fumbles, a pair of sacks and a defensive touchdown and earned a spot on the All-Metro first team last season.

"He’ll easily be 230 or 240 (pounds) when he gets to college. He’ll be a linebacker that can go out and play in space and that’s the way college football is going now," Saulsberry said. "He’ll be an ideal linebacker or strong safety in college."

Off the gridiron

McDonald enjoys collecting sneakers.

He has over 60 pairs of shoes and said that he likes Vans because they're comfortable, but that Nike AirMaxes are his favorite in general. But if he could pick just one he'd go with his red Jordan 12's.

"I’d keep my all-red Jordan 12’s. I couldn’t give them away. I love them," McDonald said.

Last season he played basketball on the Whitehaven team that made it to the Class AAA semifinals. He hasn't decided if he will play this year. He wants to keep putting on weight for football and said that he loses weight when he plays basketball.

"Yeah he can hoop. I’ll give it to him," Eason said. "He’s a real good hooper. He can dunk but he’s a better shooter."

Edited by kwc

16 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

Question for Da Haven folks....does that LB trio go to Arkansas?  Also, is the Memphis sports Zone show any good?  Been watching it on YouTube for a couple weeks.

If Arkansas is smart, they do. It appears there is an opening for it to happen. It's all up to the U of A now. Let's see what happens.

All I know about The Memphis Sports Zone is their YouTube page. 

52 minutes ago, kwc said:

If Arkansas is smart, they do. It appears there is an opening for it to happen. It's all up to the U of A now. Let's see what happens.

All I know about The Memphis Sports Zone is their YouTube page. 

I know that only 2 were offered, but all three are straight DAWGS!  Hoping nothing but the best for these young men.  The piggies better get another scholarship!

24 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

I know that only 2 were offered, but all three are straight DAWGS!  Hoping nothing but the best for these young men.  The piggies better get another scholarship!

Like I said, it's up to the U of A now. Let's see what they do.

Edited by kwc