Coach Morris is stepping down

SHHS87

I was attempting to pass along information but people kept posting rumors and wasting everyone’s time. It’s been nearly 2 weeks since the fake news about Ricky Woods broke. Here’s why Milan has not hired anyone... 

1. Stipend is $10,500. That’s about average for an average job. Way lower than jobs as high profile as Milan. They won’t find an established coach to do it. Like Ward, they’re finding out it’s a pay cut. 

2. They will be teaching a full load. Again, many established head coaches who hold jobs as high profile as Milan do not teach.

3. School board. That’s it. Their school board. Way too invasive with the daily operations of the school. Their school board meetings could be a reality tv show.

4 hours ago, RockyTop98 said:

I was attempting to pass along information but people kept posting rumors and wasting everyone’s time. It’s been nearly 2 weeks since the fake news about Ricky Woods broke. Here’s why Milan has not hired anyone... 

1. Stipend is $10,500. That’s about average for an average job. Way lower than jobs as high profile as Milan. They won’t find an established coach to do it. Like Ward, they’re finding out it’s a pay cut. 

2. They will be teaching a full load. Again, many established head coaches who hold jobs as high profile as Milan do not teach.

3. School board. That’s it. Their school board. Way too invasive with the daily operations of the school. Their school board meetings could be a reality tv show.

school board met and adjusted the budget to match Ward's current supplement...around $20k... and took the stipulation that his daughter attend MHS off the table...he still turned it down....Morris currently teaches but it's a PE class or 2...not exactly a schedule that will give a teacher ulcers....and coach Ward currently teaches 2 PE classes at CCHS....

Edited by cofo

The school board met to approve money to be spent on hiring a coach outside the district. The money approved was for a teacher of 20 years with a bachelor degree plus the 10,500 supplement. The board met before Ward was offered the job. After board approval for the money, Ward was offered the standard teacher salary based on MSSD pay scale plus the aforementioned supplement. My point is this...Milan faithful want a homerun hire. It’s not going to happen because they offer less than these “homerun” type guys are making. If they could pay more, or offer a job with no teaching, or they had great benefits, they would have made a hire by now. Coaches are not going to leave their current job for a lateral move financially, work load, or similar benefits. 

47 minutes ago, RockyTop98 said:

The school board met to approve money to be spent on hiring a coach outside the district. The money approved was for a teacher of 20 years with a bachelor degree plus the 10,500 supplement. The board met before Ward was offered the job. After board approval for the money, Ward was offered the standard teacher salary based on MSSD pay scale plus the aforementioned supplement. My point is this...Milan faithful want a homerun hire. It’s not going to happen because they offer less than these “homerun” type guys are making. If they could pay more, or offer a job with no teaching, or they had great benefits, they would have made a hire by now. Coaches are not going to leave their current job for a lateral move financially, work load, or similar benefits. 

I could not agree more. I hope you have shared this common sense logic with your source on the committee because it seems administration either does not understand this or deems Milan Football to be of little value. While the school board did approve the base pay & stipend mentioned, this was the amount the administration asked for. They could have asked for more. The community is largely unaware that the initial offers being made to applicants are both insulting to the applicant & embarrassing to the program because administration is keeping everything so tight lipped. If the money cannot be found in the millions of dollars the school system has running through it, I assure you Milan boosters would come up with whatever money was needed to secure a winning coach. Milan Football is too important to too many people to simply settle. However, at this point the current administration appears to be content with doing just that. I have been involved with Milan Football for over 35 years and based on how this has played out thus far I am beginning to get worried about the future of our program. I hope someone with some sense steps in soon & turns this ship around. 

On 11/14/2017 at 0:22 PM, riverrat said:

First of all hats off to Morris, one of the great ones in West TN. 

I have heard for several years some of the folks in Milan want Ward from Crockett.  I do NOT see them hiring from the current staff but I have no inside knowledge to base this assumption on.  This job will draw a huge amount of interest.  The coaching carousel has the potential to really start to spin in West TN!

On 12/2/2017 at 8:22 PM, riverrat said:

Ward > McConnell.

On 12/29/2017 at 1:22 PM, riverrat said:

Woods Peabody 2014

I agree.

Riverrat's posts about who will actually get the job.

First post:  I was right that Ward would be offered.

Second post:  Milan offered Ward prior to McConnell.  Right again.

Third post: WRONG BIG TIME.  Ran with a guess based off hints on a message board they were wrong. I was for adding anything to the speculation. 

Who knows who Milan will get now.  Certainly not this poster or some of the so called Milan experts on this board.

Good luck Milan.

21 hours ago, RockyTop98 said:

Know what...? You could "fix" everything that you seem unhappy about. When your district's election schedule rolls around, pick your papers up, get 25 registered voters to sign, and run for School Board Representative. Can't wait for that...contact your Director of Schools or SB Rep., and ask to be placed upon the agenda for the next meeting.

Milan is a great job, but the idea of paying a coach the relative sum of an average teacher along with a high profile coach's salary, while not contributing in the classroom is ridiculous. Coaches with "great" jobs usually teach some non EOC course schedule for a portion of the day, then a planning period (which the state requires anyway), then football for the latter portion of the workday. Each system set's their own policy...if you can sell the board on the idea of a $75,000.00 salary per year for coaching related duties only, it can be done...just be prepared for the other coaches and teachers to knock on your door with some fair questions...soon.

BTW...Even top tier jobs west of Nashville (Dyersburg, Henry Co, USJ). entail teaching or supervision responsibilities along with coaching, even the privates. Only a select few of the prominent private schools hire people to exclusively coach, and mostly just those with monetary affiliation to larger entities (churches, ect...) are able to afford that luxury. 

Edited by tradertwo
add content
  • Upvote 1

I’m not looking to “fix” anything and I’m not unhappy at all. I am just explaining why this process is not as cut and dry as people think it is. The inaccurate information posted on this site only adds to the confusion. I don’t disagree with anything you said Trader. You’re right. Paying a coach 75 to only coach is crazy to a lot of people and it doesn’t happen in West Tennessee. That’s my point. If Milan did it, they’d have the big hire already. But they do not do that. So now go find an established coach that will sell his house, buy a new house, and move to Milan for similar financial compensation. Would you do that in your job? And ask your wife and kids to move? And the only reason to do all of this is because you can win 9 games instead of 7...Milan, McConnel had his 2nd interview. It appears he will be offered the job. However, I hesitate to say that. If they thought he was the guy, he would’ve been offered the job by now. 

21 hours ago, RockyTop98 said:

I’m not looking to “fix” anything and I’m not unhappy at all. I am just explaining why this process is not as cut and dry as people think it is. The inaccurate information posted on this site only adds to the confusion. I don’t disagree with anything you said Trader. You’re right. Paying a coach 75 to only coach is crazy to a lot of people and it doesn’t happen in West Tennessee. That’s my point. If Milan did it, they’d have the big hire already. But they do not do that. So now go find an established coach that will sell his house, buy a new house, and move to Milan for similar financial compensation. Would you do that in your job? And ask your wife and kids to move? And the only reason to do all of this is because you can win 9 games instead of 7...Milan, McConnel had his 2nd interview. It appears he will be offered the job. However, I hesitate to say that. If they thought he was the guy, he would’ve been offered the job by now. 

40 + people applied for the job...someone will move there for the opportunity to continue Milan's tradition, it's done for less every year. To give you an honest answer to your "would you move..." question, I'd have to wear those shoes awhile. The nature of my work is a flat plane...the more I do, the more I am compensated. Coaching is different...many factors outside what you do contribute to success or failure, and that is why Milan and their tradition will be someone's motivation to move.

McConnel and Milan would either be a complete disaster or the homerun off the top of the scoreboard. If the administration and players would buy in to what he does, there's a good chance that he takes their offense up about two notches, and returns Milan to THE team from the west.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 0:54 PM, tradertwo said:

Know what...? You could "fix" everything that you seem unhappy about. When your district's election schedule rolls around, pick your papers up, get 25 registered voters to sign, and run for School Board Representative. Can't wait for that...contact your Director of Schools or SB Rep., and ask to be placed upon the agenda for the next meeting.

Milan is a great job, but the idea of paying a coach the relative sum of an average teacher along with a high profile coach's salary, while not contributing in the classroom is ridiculous. Coaches with "great" jobs usually teach some non EOC course schedule for a portion of the day, then a planning period (which the state requires anyway), then football for the latter portion of the workday. Each system set's their own policy...if you can sell the board on the idea of a $75,000.00 salary per year for coaching related duties only, it can be done...just be prepared for the other coaches and teachers to knock on your door with some fair questions...soon.

BTW...Even top tier jobs west of Nashville (Dyersburg, Henry Co, USJ). entail teaching or supervision responsibilities along with coaching, even the privates. Only a select few of the prominent private schools hire people to exclusively coach, and mostly just those with monetary affiliation to larger entities (churches, ect...) are able to afford that luxury. 

great post trader....you were spot on accurate....I don't know of any public school football coach in TN that coaches only...no teaching responsibilities.. and gets teacher pay plus coaching supplement....and I was in the business for 30 years...some are administrators...assistant principals like Alcoa's Coach Rankin for example.....but to coach only with no teaching or any other  responsibilities and make teacher pay plus coaching supplement?....I might be old school but I've never heard of it....