Seymour HC Job

I'm gonna give you two names that are new and young:

Brian Milan-Defensive Coordinator at Bearden. Best scoring defense in that region up there this year.

Nick Craney-Defensive Coordinator at Knox Central. Helped Coach Rosser to the state championship last year and I believe has the boys still playing.

Just kind of tired of the same ole names being thrown around and thought I'd offer something new. Thoughts?

43 minutes ago, BigPoppaPump said:

I'm gonna give you two names that are new and young:

Brian Milan-Defensive Coordinator at Bearden. Best scoring defense in that region up there this year.

Nick Craney-Defensive Coordinator at Knox Central. Helped Coach Rosser to the state championship last year and I believe has the boys still playing.

Just kind of tired of the same ole names being thrown around and thought I'd offer something new. Thoughts?

Both Milan and Craney are great young coaches and both are from NE Tennessee.  Craney playing under Coach Ballard at Greeneville and learning from him, Coach Sparks while he played at CN, and Slade who use to be the D coordinator at Central before taking over at CN as there D coordinator .  I actually played against Milan when he went to Cherokee and Rogersville Middle school.  Both Great Young Football Minds!  The big question is does Seymour think A 28 year old (Milan) or a 25 years old (Craney) can handle being a head coach.  In my opinion they can

Edited by Swipes

37 minutes ago, BigDog28 said:

Share what info you have on the Seymour job.  Is it a good job?  Can you win there?  Know alot more about the area than the school.

All I know is that all of 5A in East Tennessee besides region 3 and Catholic is extremely weak. Whoever gets this job is going to be able to at least win a first round game if they make it in. I'd just like to see some powers at be take a serious look at a HC job around this area. It seems like most people don't really put a ton of research into their hires. Just because a coach wins a bunch doesn't completely mean he's a great coach because the players could be studs. The opposite is true as well. I think the right hire at Seymour could win and win fast.

22 hours ago, BigDog28 said:

Share what info you have on the Seymour job.  Is it a good job?  Can you win there?  Know alot more about the area than the school.

I don't think it's a great job anymore.  The guy they had there had an excellent career record from Ohio (had like a 75% win percentage with some rings over 30 years) and went 0-10 last year before they ran him out of town.

Seymour used to be a real powerhouse at the 3A and 4A levels, but Sevier County's been opening up new schools and redistricting, which has changed the dynamics in Sevier County athletics dramatically in the past decade.  It doesn't help that they've got The King's Academy in their backyard making serious efforts to recruit away a lot of the better athletes that pop up in Seymour, too.

On top of all that, they're one of the smallest 5A schools and they're in a tough conference.  People think that Region 2 is weak because of the records, but it's not so much weakness as balance with teams beating up on each other.  Region 2 swept Region 1 this year in the first round of the playoffs.  It's no coincidence that the conference winner might go 6-4 there, but then make a run at the semi-finals or state championship.  

However, Seymour fans still want the old days where they were a top 5 program in the state and played for the conference each year.  It makes it hard on any coach to get something going.

Sevier County supports athletics and Seymour's got some decent facilities and fan support, but right now it's a dead end.  If I were an up and coming coach, I'd stay away.  Lots of pressure without the talent to work with.

Edited by BlueDevil58

Lots of rumors in Sevier County right now.  

On Seymour, hearing that Scott Meadows is very interested.  Also hearing that another current head coach in the SCS system is interested.  

Also hearing that Lingo could be stepping down and another current head coach in the system might move in to that position.  

Like I say, all in the rumor stage now, but not rumors without reasonable basis behind them.