FCS vs DCA

Playerscoach

Strengths and weaknesses of both? This is the matchup I predicted preseason and did not waiver after a midseason rough patch for DCA. The first game was much closer than the score per an FCS parent that I'm certain will post in this thread. :)

As a DCA guy I'll talk about FCS first. Easily the best, and most complete team DCA played this year. The OL/DL have several good players and the first meeting FCS played very well in the trenches. DCA had a 2 year starting OG not play that game but  FCS has lots of size and talent. I do think DCAs #53 caused some problems by beating double teams and in pursuit though.

LBs were solid and made plays. Cherry, like his father, is a smart, good athlete that had a back breaking int inside the DCA 7 yard line to put the game away.

DBs are good and agressive. This matchup is a toss up vs DCAs WRs and when the DCA qb had time they caused problems for FCS. #20 had two tds the first two drives then was injured and not the same.  Prior to that FCS didn't cover or run with him very well. 

Kicking game might be an advantage for DCA. Punting and FGs have been a strength for DCA all season and the kickoffs have gone to or in the end zone consistently. A crucial 70 yard punt last night helped DCA switch the field and win the game.

Coaching. Both guys have been at their respective programs forever. Both staffs have succesful former college players and have great continuity with the HC. FCS has had more overall talent in recent years but DCA has done alot with less talent. 

FCS offense vs DCA defense. FCS is going to run and get yardage. They are big with a great back. DCA's defense has been stingy for weeks now and was outstanding last night swarming to the ball and making plays.

FCS defense vs DCAs offense. Starts with the DL and stops there  too. DCA will have to establish some running plays to create balance to open the passing game. The DCA qb is the best overall in Div2A IMO so containing him is a must. When FCS didn't in the first game it caused them problems.

The first meeting had DCA gift two tds to FCS inside their own 7 yard line and had multiple td drops. If DCA wants to win they cannot have catastrophic turnovers again. Both teams appear to be playing their best so who knows what will happen? FCS is a solid favorite here but DCA just continues to make plays and get better. 

Best of luck to FCS and safe travels.

Edited by Playerscoach

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:04 PM, Playerscoach said:

Strengths and weaknesses of both? This is the matchup I predicted preseason and did not waiver after a midseason rough patch for DCA. The first game was much closer than the score per an FCS parent that I'm certain will post in this thread. :)

As a DCA guy I'll talk about FCS first. Easily the best, and most complete team DCA played this year. The OL/DL have several good players and the first meeting FCS played very well in the trenches. DCA had a 2 year starting OG not play that game but  FCS has lots of size and talent. I do think DCAs #53 caused some problems by beating double teams and in pursuit though.

LBs were solid and made plays. Cherry, like his father, is a smart, good athlete that had a back breaking int inside the DCA 7 yard line to put the game away.

DBs are good and agressive. This matchup is a toss up vs DCAs WRs and when the DCA qb had time they caused problems for FCS. #20 had two tds the first two drives then was injured and not the same.  Prior to that FCS didn't cover or run with him very well. 

Kicking game might be an advantage for DCA. Punting and FGs have been a strength for DCA all season and the kickoffs have gone to or in the end zone consistently. A crucial 70 yard punt last night helped DCA switch the field and win the game.

Coaching. Both guys have been at their respective programs forever. Both staffs have succesful former college players and have great continuity with the HC. FCS has had more overall talent in recent years but DCA has done alot with less talent. 

FCS offense vs DCA defense. FCS is going to run and get yardage. They are big with a great back. DCA's defense has been stingy for weeks now and was outstanding last night swarming to the ball and making plays.

FCS defense vs DCAs offense. Starts with the DL and stops there  too. DCA will have to establish some running plays to create balance to open the passing game. The DCA qb is the best overall in Div2A IMO so containing him is a must. When FCS didn't in the first game it caused them problems.

The first meeting had DCA gift two tds to FCS inside their own 7 yard line and had multiple td drops. If DCA wants to win they cannot have catastrophic turnovers again. Both teams appear to be playing their best so who knows what will happen? FCS is a solid favorite here but DCA just continues to make plays and get better. 

Best of luck to FCS and safe travels.

These two teams will provide a great game to watch on Dec 2.  The FC squad is lead by a group of seniors that love each other and play for each other.  Their mental toughness rivals their physicality.  They are a complete package on both sides of the ball.  

As the season has progressed, the defense has continued to get better.  The secondary has dialed it in and comes into the state game with 19 interceptions on the year.  The MLB, Carman, has a school record 147 tackles while one of his OLB counterparts has 20 tackles for loss.  

DCAs quarterback is a gamer.  He will leave nothing on the field and is sure to run and gun on the big stage in Cookeville.  I was impressed with #22s ground attack against Davidson, but believe that the Dline and line backing corps of FC will be more stingy than Davidson.

While I agree with my friend, PC, that the turnover gifts were welcomed in the first meeting and helpful, I believe that the FC squad has grown stronger and more hungry as the season has progressed.  I look for #3 for FC to put on a strong performance behind his OLine.  He is a game changer.

I do believe the fist meeting was closer than the score suggests and beating the same team, of this caliber, in the same season is a tough hurdle.  I believe FC is up to the challenge.

I look forward to seeing my DCA buddies on the sidelines for another great battle between old rivals.

I have been gone for a while since my kids both graduated years ago but have continued to follow FC football.  Having been around during the incredible back to back 2011/2012 runs you might say "completely different players" and while that's true, it's nearly the same coaching staff and experience at "the big dance" counts.  Very proud that FC is back in the big game.  304 high school football programs, only 18 teams make it to the final.  That's a huge compliment for both FC and DCA.  Only 9 walk away with gold, here's to hoping FC brings home their 3rd gold ball!