Three days of non competitive games

Indian

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:39 PM, Indian said:

All but two or three. What's a solution?

-Drop to five classes and two classes in Division II?

-Add another week with champions playing each other. Division II-AAA champ vs 6A champ, etc. Basketball coaches already wanting players back wouldn't like this one.

-Bring all the privates back, start with Brentwood Academy etc in 6A. 

-Classify schools by long term success, or a mix of a success and enrollment.

-Z plan returns, if a less confusing plan could be worked out.

-Leave it as is.

-Other

I have been saying for several years that with the population base in Tennessee there only needs to be four (4) classifications for high school football.

Class A:  Only public schools.  Private schools may not participate in this division without a special exception granted by the TSSAA.  Private schools beginning a football program or a private school that may only have around 150 students could be granted permission to participate.

Class AA:  Public and private schools but no private schools that offer financial aid

Class AAA:  Public and private schools based on enrollment numbers

Class AAAA:  Public and private schools based on enrollment numbers

The TSSAA should also allow schools the opportunity to participate in 4A football but 2A or 3A for basketball, baseball, soccer, etc...if that is where the enrollment numbers dictate.  Why penalize a school for wanting to challenge themselves and play up a division in a sport with which they excel.  Do I ever expect any of the above changes to be made, absolutely not!  Nothing against educators but when you have a group of past teachers and administrators operating a multi million dollar budget you have a problem.  They have zero business experience and you throw them into a role with the TSSAA and they couldn't operate the local 7-11 and turn a profit.  It's not their fault they are placed into a position without the qualifications required to be successful.  What they had better be worried about is the obese officials.  It's just a matter of time before one of them has a heart attack and dies during a game because they so out of condition and overweight.  Now what would that cost the TSSAA and the insurance company that represents them?

Edited by cbg

On 12/11/2017 at 3:47 PM, cbg said:

I have been saying for several years that with the population base in Tennessee there only needs to be four (4) classifications for high school football.

Class A:  Only public schools.  Private schools may not participate in this division without a special exception granted by the TSSAA.  Private schools beginning a football program or a private school that may only have around 150 students could be granted permission to participate.

Class AA:  Public and private schools but no private schools that offer financial aid

Class AAA:  Public and private schools based on enrollment numbers

Class AAAA:  Public and private schools based on enrollment numbers

The TSSAA should also allow schools the opportunity to participate in 4A football but 2A or 3A for basketball, baseball, soccer, etc...if that is where the enrollment numbers dictate.  Why penalize a school for wanting to challenge themselves and play up a division in a sport with which they excel.  Do I ever expect any of the above changes to be made, absolutely not!  Nothing against educators but when you have a group of past teachers and administrators operating a multi million dollar budget you have a problem.  They have zero business experience and you throw them into a role with the TSSAA and they couldn't operate the local 7-11 and turn a profit.  It's not their fault they are placed into a position without the qualifications required to be successful.  What they had better be worried about is the obese officials.  It's just a matter of time before one of them has a heart attack and dies during a game because they so out of condition and overweight.  Now what would that cost the TSSAA and the insurance company that represents them?

With all the consolidation of schools on the horizon, how can the TSSAA justify keeping all these classes?  I know that Sullivan County (Sullivan Central, Sullivan North and Sullivan South), Greene County (Chuckey Doak, North Greene, South Greene and West Greene) and Roane County (Harriman, Kingston and Rockwood) have voted to combine schools and I thought I read that there is a vote to close some smaller neighborhood schools in Memphis and combine with larger ones.

18 hours ago, QSouth89 said:

With all the consolidation of schools on the horizon, how can the TSSAA justify keeping all these classes?  I know that Sullivan County (Sullivan Central, Sullivan North and Sullivan South), Greene County (Chuckey Doak, North Greene, South Greene and West Greene) and Roane County (Harriman, Kingston and Rockwood) have voted to combine schools and I thought I read that there is a vote to close some smaller neighborhood schools in Memphis and combine with larger ones.

With the TSSAA it's all about the money.  I have been told that if you have nine classifications in football the results are more money for the TSSAA because you would have more playoff games.  I was told that the TSSAA receives 50% of the gate before any expenses are paid for all playoff games, the home team receives 25% and the visiting team receives 25%.  The problem is the home team must pay the officials and security and the visiting must pay for transportation.  In the end it becomes difficult for the two schools to turn a profit or even break even on the playoffs.   

You spoke about some of the smaller schools in various counties combining to form one large high school.  I have been told that a few of the smaller counties have discussed combining to have one high school between two or three counties.  When you have a school that has less than 50 students in a graduating class it's difficult not to lose money operating that school.  A friend of mine reported that Lake County High School only has around 30 students in a graduating class and Frank Hughes College (Clifton, TN) only has around 20 students graduate each year so I know there is no way they can break even financially.  

5 minutes ago, cbg said:

With the TSSAA it's all about the money.  I have been told that if you have nine classifications in football the results are more money for the TSSAA because you would have more playoff games.  I was told that the TSSAA receives 50% of the gate before any expenses are paid for all playoff games, the home team receives 25% and the visiting team receives 25%.  The problem is the home team must pay the officials and security and the visiting must pay for transportation.  In the end it becomes difficult for the two schools to turn a profit or even break even on the playoffs.   

You spoke about some of the smaller schools in various counties combining to form one large high school.  I have been told that a few of the smaller counties have discussed combining to have one high school between two or three counties.  When you have a school that has less than 50 students in a graduating class it's difficult not to lose money operating that school.  A friend of mine reported that Lake County High School only has around 30 students in a graduating class and Frank Hughes College (Clifton, TN) only has around 20 students graduate each year so I know there is no way they can break even financially.  

I would be interested to see how forming one school between multiple counties work out.  The positive, is you can combine resources and make a larger school. So the T$$AA cares more about making money than producing quality games.  Such a shame.

5 hours ago, QSouth89 said:

I would be interested to see how forming one school between multiple counties work out.  The positive, is you can combine resources and make a larger school. So the T$$AA cares more about making money than producing quality games.  Such a shame.

The TSSAA only cares about making money!  If a good game breaks out that is even better but they don't want the game to go into overtime or run late because that would cause them to get home a little later than anticipated.  

If money is an issue I wouldn't mind an extra round of the playoffs (with classes lowered to five or four). It would even out more than it seems, from a very quick look at it.

I still wish they'd taken a closer look at urban and rural classes. It would help in the open zone questions some still have (though it wouldnt solve all of it).

Edited by Indian

On 12/19/2017 at 3:23 PM, QSouth89 said:

Man thaits a lott uv Sullyvuns........Greens........ and Roans........:popcorneater:

Image result for ed sullivanImage result for collard greensImage result for roan horse

5 minutes ago, Indian said:

If money is an issue I wouldn't mind an extra round of the playoffs (with classes lowered to five or four). It would even out more than it seems, from a very quick look at it.

I still wish they'd taken a closer look at urban and rural classes. It would help in the open zone questions some still have (though it wouldnt solve all of it).

I know what you are saying about urban vs rural but the TSSAA in all of it's wisdom has already legislated a state championship to most every school in Tennessee.  No one in all their wisdom is able to justify Tennessee having more than 5 divisions for football and that is with the public and private schools combined.