Freshmen phenoms

RankWrestlers

There is an impressive crop of freshmen in Tennessee this year, led by Trey Bates from Beech.  Cleveland and Mccallie are especially loaded for the next four years.  Cleveland has two of the top three and three of the top nine.  Mccallie has four in the top 15.  Following is a link that shows the top 40 freshmen in the state, as ranked by RankWrestlers.com: http://rankwrestlers.com/TNFreshmen.php.  Their names will be fixtures in TN wrestling for a long time!

Volunteer did not list the grade for any of its team on TrackWrestling, but if they did, Carpenter would have been #37. Shows how impressive this group is!

By the way, the top 40 list on the link will update daily, so there will certainly be changes as more matches are recorded. Maybe Stamper or Smith will make the list if they have the opportunity to wrestle at the tail end of the season?

Some of these freshmen may have been injured until very recently or stuck behind upperclassmen at their respective schools when they would have started at most schools in the state. Hypothetical example- Tre Bates(#1 freshman) is one year older and is stuck behind Horst at 106 and Palmer at 113. No where for him to wrestle unless it's an exhibition match. Real life example- Cael Laxton (STUD) is stuck behind Matthews and Sweeney at Cleveland and can't break the lineup until Sweeney gets injured a month ago. If Sweeney isn't injured, should we just forget about Laxton and say "sorry Cael, you're not starting at the best wrestling program in the state this year so you are NOT a top 40 freshman!" Absolutely not, at least IMO!

While I understand and no doubt there are freshman in this category, or all grades for that matter. While I was coaching we received a tranfer from Paris Graham, his name was Robert Manier. And was JV behind Bo Nichols. Point being he was never ranked those years, and beat the Ohio state champ at Va nats when he started for us. It is too subjective I think to base on more than records during the current year. Even tho there are other great wrestlers who will shine soon