Final: Father Ryan 37 MBA 31

SportsTNFan

The worst officiated match in the history of this great Father Ryan / MBA rivalry.

The officials are probably glad it was not a full gym or they might have been booed out of the building by both fan bases. Coaches and wrestlers were frustrated here most of the night tonight.

I know both teams were not at full strength, but good luck to MBA the rest of the way.

12 hours ago, PurpleWrestler said:

This is hilarious, a FR fan complaining about bad officiating. I'm sorry, not trying to be mean, but that is really funny.

Were you there tonight? Would love your feedback on the match if so.

Let me clarify, it was awful for the wrestlers, coaches and fans on both sides through out the night. There were 5-6 stoppage times for the officials to talk with each other and decide if they made the correct call or not and then changed the score at least twice leaving everyone in the building confused. It felt like they called 20-25 stalling calls and made the matches about them and not letting the wrestlers decide the match. 

I am not upset as a Father Ryan fan. I am disappointed as a wrestling fan. These are matches that some of these kids on both sides will remember for the rest of their lives due to the rivalry and wish the officials did not take away from that on both sides. 

Edited by FRHSIrishVol

Having watched the match I can safely say that it was not the best or most consistently officiated wrestling match that has taken place.  When the match is stopped multiple times for both the head and assistant official to consult with one another it truly disrupts the flow of the match it is not fair to the wrestler that has the largest gas tank.  How Pat Simpson, Frank Simpson and both coaching staffs stayed composed I will never know because a call would be made, the officials would huddle and then the call would be changed.  Stalling calls were thrown in every direction as it appeared that the officials really didn't have a feel as to which wrestler was truly stalling.  In no way do I feel that the officials were biased in any way, they just had a terrible evening.  Like one gentlemen that has a son who wrestles in college said, those two guys shouldn't even be allowed to officiate a middle school match.  

Edited by cbg

I watched the match on the live stream. Father Ryan should consider having another person do commentary for their matches. The commentator should probably join up and officiate, I know every area is always looking for referees. For a great program like Father Ryan to have their commentator openly berate the officials and even some of the wrestlers is a poor reflection on their program. Stalling is going to occur more in a contested rivalry match like that since kids that are a little outclassed at a weight are being coached to keep the bout to a decision and not to give up bonus points. Who cares about a spectator who has a son that wrestles in college and his opinion, if he feels so strongly about his comment he can join up and officiate as well. You guys are hilarious. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe if everyone in the middle of the state would stop screaming for stalling every 5 seconds, the refs would back off on it. I've traveled all over this side of the country, and only in middle TN is it called like it is. Its unbelievable at times. That's why I find this so funny that someone from up there would complain about it. Ya'll built this monster, live with it.

well I will be the first to tell you there is nothing worst than watching a match where one kid is absolutely unwilling to engage and wrestle. After all its called wrestling not sit back and wait for your opponent to shoot and take advantage. not referring to any match in this thread just stalling in general.  Its just not a consistent call no matter where you are.

26 minutes ago, gobobcatd said:

well I will be the first to tell you there is nothing worst than watching a match where one kid is absolutely unwilling to engage and wrestle. After all its called wrestling not sit back and wait for your opponent to shoot and take advantage. not referring to any match in this thread just stalling in general.  Its just not a consistent call no matter where you are.

What I'm saying is that middle TN is the worst about it, and always have been. When we are other places, I might see one or two calls in a full tournament that I think were off, the rest I can agree with. BUT, in middle TN, I see too many to count.