Officiating - time to change your tune

MCbobcats

On 1/28/2018 at 9:22 PM, crazzyness said:

And this thread right hear just reaffirms my beliefs that in a generation or two interschoolastic sports will be on life support or dead. Because of know-it-all jackwagon fans who think they everything and couldn't keep their mouths shut for a $20 bill. There won't be enough officials who think putting up with fans' crap is worth leaving work early and missing out time with their family. 

Have fun calling the games yourself folks.

I hope not. I think as long as there is a hoops game  there will be people who love the game enough to be involved in the game by becoming officials.

Just a report on the officiating I was able to watch during the DC vs Liberty matchup on Tuesday night. I waited to be able to post my thoughts on it for 24 hours just so it would try to limit the heat of the moment type reaction. Three guys. One was not very good. One was worse than the first. One didn't have any business calling a game. If he was to call in a cheese pizza, he would screw the call up and get the wrong topping. I mean it was bad.

National federation, Tennessee high school association make plea for more referees

Bob Gardner and Bernard Childress, Special to The TennesseanPublished 12:54 p.m. CT Jan. 23, 2018

NASBrd_05-17-2015_Tennessean_1_C004--2015-05-16-IMG_MUR-NEWS_Childress_Q_2_1

(Photo: Larry McCormack / File / The Tennessean)

They don’t make the headlines, their names are not in the box scores and they don’t make the all-star teams, but perhaps the most important individuals in high school sports are the contest officials.

These individuals are so important that, in fact, there would be no organized competitive sports at the high school level without the men and women who officiate these contests every day across the country. Subtract the dedicated men and women who officiate high school sports and competitive sports would no longer be organized; they would be chaotic.

In some areas, high school officials are retiring faster than new licenses are being issued. And junior varsity, freshmen and middle school games are being postponed – or even cancelled – because there are not enough men and women to officiate them.

Anyone looking for a unique way to contribute to the local community should consider becoming a licensed high school official. For individuals who played sports in high school, officiating is a great way to stay close to the sport after their playing days have ended.

Officiating helps people stay in shape, expands their social and professional network and offers part-time work that is flexible, yet pays. In fact, officiating is a form of community service, but with compensation.

Another benefit of officiating is that individuals become role models so that teenagers in the community can learn the life lessons that high school sports teach. Students learn to respect their opponents and the rules of the game and the importance of practicing good sportsmanship thanks, in part, to those men and women who officiate.

And the objectivity and integrity that high school officials display is an example that every young person needs to observe firsthand. In short, communities around the country will be stronger because of the life lessons that high school officials help teach the next generation. 

Officiating is a great way to stay connected to sports and to give back to the local high school and community. We need dedicated men and women to become involved so that high school sports can continue to prosper for years to come.

Individuals interested in learning more about becoming a high school official, and even begin the application process, can do so at www.HighSchoolOfficials.com.

Bob Gardner is the executive director of the National Federation of State High School Associations. Bernard Childress is the executive director of the TSSAA.

7 hours ago, kwc said:

National federation, Tennessee high school association make plea for more referees

Bob Gardner and Bernard Childress, Special to The TennesseanPublished 12:54 p.m. CT Jan. 23, 2018

NASBrd_05-17-2015_Tennessean_1_C004--2015-05-16-IMG_MUR-NEWS_Childress_Q_2_1

(Photo: Larry McCormack / File / The Tennessean)

They don’t make the headlines, their names are not in the box scores and they don’t make the all-star teams, but perhaps the most important individuals in high school sports are the contest officials.

These individuals are so important that, in fact, there would be no organized competitive sports at the high school level without the men and women who officiate these contests every day across the country. Subtract the dedicated men and women who officiate high school sports and competitive sports would no longer be organized; they would be chaotic.

In some areas, high school officials are retiring faster than new licenses are being issued. And junior varsity, freshmen and middle school games are being postponed – or even cancelled – because there are not enough men and women to officiate them.

Anyone looking for a unique way to contribute to the local community should consider becoming a licensed high school official. For individuals who played sports in high school, officiating is a great way to stay close to the sport after their playing days have ended.

Officiating helps people stay in shape, expands their social and professional network and offers part-time work that is flexible, yet pays. In fact, officiating is a form of community service, but with compensation.

Another benefit of officiating is that individuals become role models so that teenagers in the community can learn the life lessons that high school sports teach. Students learn to respect their opponents and the rules of the game and the importance of practicing good sportsmanship thanks, in part, to those men and women who officiate.

And the objectivity and integrity that high school officials display is an example that every young person needs to observe firsthand. In short, communities around the country will be stronger because of the life lessons that high school officials help teach the next generation. 

Officiating is a great way to stay connected to sports and to give back to the local high school and community. We need dedicated men and women to become involved so that high school sports can continue to prosper for years to come.

Individuals interested in learning more about becoming a high school official, and even begin the application process, can do so at www.HighSchoolOfficials.com.

Bob Gardner is the executive director of the National Federation of State High School Associations. Bernard Childress is the executive director of the TSSAA.

In a perfect world i will say that this would be ideal. BUT, we are not having any fast paced retirements in our area, In fact when have had the same retreads for years. Hardly ever do we get a new face. In shape? hmmmm but we all could lose a few pounds i guess. Anyways great piece to recruit i guess but it seems to be saying those no hope to get the ones we have now to be better so the kids can have those role models now. Instead we will wait for the next generation to have consistent calls by officials.

A lot of good discussion here on referees and being new to the board, I'd like to throw my .02 in as well.  Truth is numbers for officials is way down compared to what it used to be.  IMO there are a number of reasons for this from its not worth the money to it requires too much time and everything in between.  I have seen a few articles lately about how the game may be in trouble if something don't change.  These men and women are doing this as a part-time job, very few do it full time and those are the ones that want to move up in the official ranks usually so they don't do middle school or high school basketball very long.  So lets call it like it is amateur referees doing amateur games,  think about all of the legit mistakes people make playing basketball (violations and fouls) those are mistakes right? So whats the difference when a referee misses a call? It's just a mistake.  Maybe we all as fans, coaches, and lovers of the game could just come to realize mistakes are gonna happen and enjoy the game.  

Guest NumberOneSpectator
11 hours ago, DCDadCoachFan said:

In a perfect world i will say that this would be ideal. BUT, we are not having any fast paced retirements in our area, In fact when have had the same retreads for years. Hardly ever do we get a new face. In shape? hmmmm but we all could lose a few pounds i guess. Anyways great piece to recruit i guess but it seems to be saying those no hope to get the ones we have now to be better so the kids can have those role models now. Instead we will wait for the next generation to have consistent calls by officials.

From what I've read, you seem like a very hateful person, DC. I don't think anyone would want you officiating a ball game.

Having done the job before, the check is nice - but it would take a fool to do this solely for the check. Let's look at the outlays - TSSAA fees, association membership fees and assigning fees (that's about $150); add in the cost of a couple of uniforms - shirts, pants, patches, whistles and shoes (that's another $150); most of the varsity officials have to pay to go to a "camp" to work summer games for free every other year (you read that right, and another $100 plus two days' vacation out of pocket); then in the preseason, you're required to work (for free) preseason "play days," scrimmages and jamborees that raise funds for the hosting teams;  then you get to spend a couple of hours every other week during the season sitting through rules meetings; then you spend part of your gameday at your regular job coordinating with your partners and the game administration regarding that night's assignment (with the distinct possibility that the game time or site will get moved, or you may get changed to a different game at the last minute because of an emergency elsewhere); then you spend a couple of seasons toiling through 4pm middle school and JV games before you ever see the varsity floor.

My point...most of the people who do this job (in any sport, at any level) are doing it because they love being in or around the game. The check is nice, but the $105 for a B/G varsity doubleheader (MUCH LESS for middle school and JV games) is peanuts compared to the level of effort and dedication that most of these individuals put into the job.

For the record, I loved it - and would do it again - but my knees gave out and my work schedule became prohibitive. I made lots of friends - officials, administrators, coaches and parents alike. Those who would dare say that large numbers of these people are doing the job for "easy money" clearly have no concept whatsoever of what the total job entails.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bahudgins said:

Having done the job before, the check is nice - but it would take a fool to do this solely for the check. Let's look at the outlays - TSSAA fees, association membership fees and assigning fees (that's about $150); add in the cost of a couple of uniforms - shirts, pants, patches, whistles and shoes (that's another $150); most of the varsity officials have to pay to go to a "camp" to work summer games for free every other year (you read that right, and another $100 plus two days' vacation out of pocket); then in the preseason, you're required to work (for free) preseason "play days," scrimmages and jamborees that raise funds for the hosting teams;  then you get to spend a couple of hours every other week during the season sitting through rules meetings; then you spend part of your gameday at your regular job coordinating with your partners and the game administration regarding that night's assignment (with the distinct possibility that the game time or site will get moved, or you may get changed to a different game at the last minute because of an emergency elsewhere); then you spend a couple of seasons toiling through 4pm middle school and JV games before you ever see the varsity floor.

My point...most of the people who do this job (in any sport, at any level) are doing it because they love being in or around the game. The check is nice, but the $105 for a B/G varsity doubleheader (MUCH LESS for middle school and JV games) is peanuts compared to the level of effort and dedication that most of these individuals put into the job.

For the record, I loved it - and would do it again - but my knees gave out and my work schedule became prohibitive. I made lots of friends - officials, administrators, coaches and parents alike. Those who would dare say that large numbers of these people are doing the job for "easy money" clearly have no concept whatsoever of what the total job entails.    

Certainly wished there were the ones you are talking about at most venues i have been attending. For the guys and gals that truly put in the effort and have the love of the game, it shows on the floor and it is appreciated. We can see it in the stands. But i regret to say, many just are not at the level you were when you officiated. I hate it for the athletes, coaches, fans, parents and especially the refs who aren't mailing it in. WIshed the knee had held out. We all would have loved to have you calling the tournament as it gets going