Riverdale...........

Lost Old Dad

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, oaklandfan said:

Lost Old Dad back in the day wasnt there an unwritten rule that Riverdale in genral would get all the football players and Oakland would get all the basketball players?

Not a rule.  Just that Oakland had a much better BB coach, and R'dale had the better football program according to some.  Oakland HAS had a bunch of really good football Coaches though.

R'dale had the advantage in football as the School Superintendent looked the other way when R'dale was 'recruiting' and YES they did it.  The jokes about the football apartments was NOT far off.  R'dale also was the first school that had the players lifting weights during their PE period.  Freshmen lifted 5th period and Varsity lifted 6th period.  R'dale also had the best Coaching TEAM.  Freshmen had a complete team of Coaches and Varsity had a BIG group of Coaches.  R'dale during its hayday had a complete staff of both hired and Volunteer Coaches numbering more than most of the Colleges in Tn.  UT, Vandy, and Memphis were the only Colleges that had more coaches.  I was amazed as R'dale had MORE Coaches than my team had when I played for the Jacksonville Sharks in the WFL and more than when I played for Edmonton in Canada.  Can you tell they had a really good system going?   Only thing that really beat them was the other school that recruited and had a really good staff.  BA was good and that really made Rankin mad.  Thus the lawsuit and split.

I sat on the sidelines one day and discussed it with a BA QB that told me how he was recruited.  I in turn told him about how the Thomas brothers QB team was recruited from South Carolina.  He also told me about how he had heard that MBA was trying to recruit the 'clone', and yes the Privates (MBA, BA, and now Ensworth)  recruited from Rutherford Co heavily!

BTW, WELCOME to the Board.

On 2/23/2018 at 6:08 PM, Lost Old Dad said:

Not a rule.  Just that Oakland had a much better BB coach, and R'dale had the better football program according to some.  Oakland HAS had a bunch of really good football Coaches though.

R'dale had the advantage in football as the School Superintendent looked the other way when R'dale was 'recruiting' and YES they did it.  The jokes about the football apartments was NOT far off.  R'dale also was the first school that had the players lifting weights during their PE period.  Freshmen lifted 5th period and Varsity lifted 6th period.  R'dale also had the best Coaching TEAM.  Freshmen had a complete team of Coaches and Varsity had a BIG group of Coaches.  R'dale during its hayday had a complete staff of both hired and Volunteer Coaches numbering more than most of the Colleges in Tn.  UT, Vandy, and Memphis were the only Colleges that had more coaches.  I was amazed as R'dale had MORE Coaches than my team had when I played for the Jacksonville Sharks in the WFL and more than when I played for Edmonton in Canada.  Can you tell they had a really good system going?   Only thing that really beat them was the other school that recruited and had a really good staff.  BA was good and that really made Rankin mad.  Thus the lawsuit and split.

I sat on the sidelines one day and discussed it with a BA QB that told me how he was recruited.  I in turn told him about how the Thomas brothers QB team was recruited from South Carolina.  He also told me about how he had heard that MBA was trying to recruit the 'clone', and yes the Privates (MBA, BA, and now Ensworth)  recruited from Rutherford Co heavily!

BTW, WELCOME to the Board.

They had Hartsfield dead to rights!  Everybody was scared to pull the trigger.  

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, oaklandfan said:

Corn Elder was a kid from Rutherford County. Correct

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, GWAVE1 said:

They had Hartsfield dead to rights!  Everybody was scared to pull the trigger.  

Yes.  as well as many others.

Ensworth has had kids from Mt. Pleasant to  McEwen and all points in between.

What about the big tackle at BA from Texas?

Ryan is working the Metro middle  schools so hard just trying to stay relevant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...