West TN b-ball

Some more food for thought as far as Lowery goes. I think a lot of people have forgotten how far the Huntingdon program has fallen before he came back. They were lucky to win 6-7 games a year if my memory serves correct. If I’m not mistaken they’ve won at least 18-20 games every year since he’s been back. That’s what people forget so whether he’s teaching fundamentals or not he’s doing something right or they wouldn’t be winning that many games. I remember the Goodman years and the girls team was a joke. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, CarrollCountySportsFan said:

To me though fundamentals should be taught at the middle school level. Saying a high school coach should teach kids fundamentals is outrageous. Would you expect a high school football coach to teach a kid how to block, tackle, or get in a three point stance? A kid might need some tweaking on their fundamentals once they get to high school but they shouldn’t have to be taught the fundamentals of a game they’ve played for most of their lives. Just my opinion and I don’t have a dog in the race I do know that Lowery is respected in coaching circles though. He may not be respected is social circles but he definitely is in the coaching circles. 

You teach fundamentals every day every practice. Our shooting technique is awful. Our staff doesn't know how to shoot a basketball. We don't use our speed. We ought to shoot lay ups all night long

1 minute ago, Croppygenius said:

You teach fundamentals every day every practice. Our shooting technique is awful. Our staff doesn't know how to shoot a basketball. We don't use our speed. We ought to shoot lay ups all night long

Well if we ought to be shooting lay ups all night long then shooting technique shouldn’t matter should it?  That’s what I don’t get people who have never coached in their life other than maybe little league or something along those lines think they know how a team should be coached. They lost one game dude ONE and your still aren’t happy about the job he’s doing. I’m sure you want Swenson gone as well? Lowery out as softball coach? What about Kee as boys b-ball coach? I mean you may want to go back and look at the record before Lowery showed up. It wasn’t that great. The parents and “fans” have gotten greedy and want more and more every year. Might want to quit acting that way or it could be back to winning 6-8 games a year and then I bet even people like you would want Lowery back. I mean if you can do a better job go talk to whoever it is that’s in charge and see if they will let you coach. 

5 hours ago, CarrollCountySportsFan said:

I can’t speak on whether he has or not although I’m sure he has been at games some time or another. I won’t even disagree with you that maybe the little ones should be running the same offense/defense as the high school from the jump. Here is where I don’t agree. If I were a middle school coach (which I’m not) I honestly don’t think I’d want the high school coach whether it’s football, basketball, baseball, or even softball coming to practices or things like that to tell me how I should coach/run my team. I’m my point there should be communication there but I would feel a little disrespected if the high school coach wherever I was coaching thought he/she should put there two cents in on how I do my job. If they don’t like the way the middle coach is doing things if it ever comes available because the middle school coach leaves then they should do both. But I don’t think you should just show up and tell someone who is getting paid how to do their job. 

In football, a lot of programs have the high school assistants be the head coaches for the middle school, freshman and junior varsity teams. Schools that I have worked the high school basketball assistant coach was the middle school coach. This is a good practice and brings a lot of continuity to a program. 

6 hours ago, CarrollCountySportsFan said:

I can’t speak on whether he has or not although I’m sure he has been at games some time or another. I won’t even disagree with you that maybe the little ones should be running the same offense/defense as the high school from the jump. Here is where I don’t agree. If I were a middle school coach (which I’m not) I honestly don’t think I’d want the high school coach whether it’s football, basketball, baseball, or even softball coming to practices or things like that to tell me how I should coach/run my team. I’m my point there should be communication there but I would feel a little disrespected if the high school coach wherever I was coaching thought he/she should put there two cents in on how I do my job. If they don’t like the way the middle coach is doing things if it ever comes available because the middle school coach leaves then they should do both. But I don’t think you should just show up and tell someone who is getting paid how to do their job. 

High school coaches and their affiliates can get their hands on coaching middle school and elementary school kids through AAU programs in the spring and summer. I agree with you that it is hard to teach fundamentals in HS, especially shooting. Hard to change a shot in HS. Ball handling drills, rebounding, and passing all get worked on to a certain extent. Lowry's critics from what I have heard is that he is set in his ways. He talks about retiring and don't retire is what I have heard. Lot of old school coaches are like that, but still win a lot of games. Some coaches always play man and never adjust to a zone. To me a HS coach doesn't have a ton of time to work with a kid if they are involved in other sports. Grass isn't always greener on the other side. Enjoy the ride and be glad you have the talent. You could get a new coach in there that can't motivate the girls or communicate with them and all quit. They play hard for him and that means a lot. Good luck in the Boro.

38 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

High school coaches and their affiliates can get their hands on coaching middle school and elementary school kids through AAU programs in the spring and summer. I agree with you that it is hard to teach fundamentals in HS, especially shooting. Hard to change a shot in HS. Ball handling drills, rebounding, and passing all get worked on to a certain extent. Lowry's critics from what I have heard is that he is set in his ways. He talks about retiring and don't retire is what I have heard. Lot of old school coaches are like that, but still win a lot of games. Some coaches always play man and never adjust to a zone. To me a HS coach doesn't have a ton of time to work with a kid if they are involved in other sports. Grass isn't always greener on the other side. Enjoy the ride and be glad you have the talent. You could get a new coach in there that can't motivate the girls or communicate with them and all quit. They play hard for him and that means a lot. Good luck in the Boro.

You sir are the first person i completely agree with. The only question I have is what do the people you talk to mean when they say he’s stuck in his ways? Just curious is all. 

3 minutes ago, CarrollCountySportsFan said:

You sir are the first person i completely agree with. The only question I have is what do the people you talk to mean when they say he’s stuck in his ways? Just curious is all. 

Just what I have been told. They didn't elaborate. People I have talked too I asked them because I have heard criticism on here. People I have talked too says football is criticized too there maybe more. Whoever the coach there is going to be some criticism and I think a coach knows that and don't wear their feelings on their shoulders. Hard to fire a coach who has been to the state tournament two years in a row and lost one game this year. One's that want him gone better hope he retires I would think.

7 hours ago, CarrollCountySportsFan said:

Well if we ought to be shooting lay ups all night long then shooting technique shouldn’t matter should it?  That’s what I don’t get people who have never coached in their life other than maybe little league or something along those lines think they know how a team should be coached. They lost one game dude ONE and your still aren’t happy about the job he’s doing. I’m sure you want Swenson gone as well? Lowery out as softball coach? What about Kee as boys b-ball coach? I mean you may want to go back and look at the record before Lowery showed up. It wasn’t that great. The parents and “fans” have gotten greedy and want more and more every year. Might want to quit acting that way or it could be back to winning 6-8 games a year and then I bet even people like you would want Lowery back. I mean if you can do a better job go talk to whoever it is that’s in charge and see if they will let you coach. 

It takes great technique to put your self in position to shoot a layup. I thought we had the most talented team in the state last year. With a great coach we should be playing for back to back championships. We failed to adjust last year against Hampton and looked awful. Lowery at his best. We are wasting a run of talent that you see maybe once in a lifetime. As far as the boys we've won 4 district championships since the beginning of time! That's completely unacceptable!

1 hour ago, Croppygenius said:

It takes great technique to put your self in position to shoot a layup. I thought we had the most talented team in the state last year. With a great coach we should be playing for back to back championships. We failed to adjust last year against Hampton and looked awful. Lowery at his best. We are wasting a run of talent that you see maybe once in a lifetime. As far as the boys we've won 4 district championships since the beginning of time! That's completely unacceptable!

I saw the game you played against Hampton.  You had two players that missed a couple of shots badly in the first quarter and then NEVER shot the ball again despite playing the rest of the way.  How is that Lowery's fault?  Nerves got the best of the Fillies last year.  Hopefully, this year will be different.

2 hours ago, BullShark said:

I saw the game you played against Hampton.  You had two players that missed a couple of shots badly in the first quarter and then NEVER shot the ball again despite playing the rest of the way.  How is that Lowery's fault?  Nerves got the best of the Fillies last year.  Hopefully, this year will be different.

Last year was a wash for everybody because I don't think anyone was beating South Green anyway. I seen the Hampton game as well and Huntingdon was just nervous and trying too hard. Happens to all of them. Just too bad it lasted 4 quarters for them. I think the experience last year will help them. Just got to break a sweat and shake the butterflies. Reason I think Summertown is dangerous. They handled Murfreesboro well and played good ball last year. Just ran into a great South Green team but played well against them.

Edited by pioneer42

5 hours ago, Croppygenius said:

Here is the deal with this guy I know him I’ve talked to him several times at games and other places. He and some of the older men he hangs around with can solve any and everything wrong with everything in the schools sports program. It’s people like this in every little small across America who “think they are important” is what’s wrong. It’s the type of people who you could win 15 state titles in 20 years and they’d find away to not be happy about it. It’s like it’s not about the kids/team unless their kid is the “star”. If you don’t like how a coach is coaching don’t show up or if you do show up shut and support the kids it’s not about you anymore it’s about the kids still competing. 

3 hours ago, CarrollCountySportsFan said:

Here is the deal with this guy I know him I’ve talked to him several times at games and other places. He and some of the older men he hangs around with can solve any and everything wrong with everything in the schools sports program. It’s people like this in every little small across America who “think they are important” is what’s wrong. It’s the type of people who you could win 15 state titles in 20 years and they’d find away to not be happy about it. It’s like it’s not about the kids/team unless their kid is the “star”. If you don’t like how a coach is coaching don’t show up or if you do show up shut and support the kids it’s not about you anymore it’s about the kids still competing. 

Amen, amen and amen! We got way too many of these guys. And by the way, we only have one state championship in the history of our school. Let’s go Fillies! Make it two!!

Edited by KrisKringleberry