TN NHSCA RESULTS

durdon

11 minutes ago, cbg said:

I have not been able to verify this but was told that Horst does not and has not every attended Beech.  Apparently he and some others attend a Sumner County magnet school that is allowed to co-op for wrestling with the Beech team.  Is Sumner County opened zoned where kids may attend any school as long as they provide their own transportation to and from school?

He attends Station Camp high school. They are just a regular public school with no wrestling team that does co-op with Beech. 

8 hours ago, cbg said:

I have not been able to verify this but was told that Horst does not and has not every attended Beech.  Apparently he and some others attend a Sumner County magnet school that is allowed to co-op for wrestling with the Beech team.  Is Sumner County opened zoned where kids may attend any school as long as they provide their own transportation to and from school?

7 hours ago, LBJ6 said:

He attends Station Camp high school. They are just a regular public school with no wrestling team that does co-op with Beech. 

Yes. Both Noah and Trey Bates attend Station Camp and co-op with Beech. Been that way for as long as SC has been open I believe

4 hours ago, Bump11 said:

Yes. Both Noah and Trey Bates attend Station Camp and co-op with Beech. Been that way for as long as SC has been open I believe

Bottom line is this, if he is allowed to transfer and wrestle to another school this coming season, then ALL kids should be able to transfer schools. The rules need to be equal and fair to all, and currently they are not.

I noticed it as well.  Is Noah transferring to Baylor?  He was wearing a Baylor Wrestling Club singlet.  He did not have Coach Roberts coaching him.  He had Baylor wrestlers coaching him and Baylor wrestlers in his corner.  

Is he transferring?  If so, I am sure Beech is not happy about this develpment if this is true.  Will he be eligible?  I am told that many kids that transfer have to sit out a year.  Will Noah?

Edited by facenthecrowd

1 hour ago, facenthecrowd said:

I noticed it as well.  Is Noah transferring to Baylor?  He was wearing a Baylor Wrestling Club singlet.  He did not have Coach Roberts coaching him.  He had Baylor wrestlers coaching him and Baylor wrestlers in his corner.  

Is he transferring?  If so, I am sure Beech is not happy about this develpment if this is true.  Will he be eligible?  I am told that many kids that transfer have to sit out a year.  Will Noah?

Baylor is a private boarding school, in D2. He will be eligible. Different rules for private schools...this is precisely why they have separate divisions.

I know we all would love to see one division at the state tournament....but, as you can see here.....not quite the same, level playing fields, right? 

Not sure why we couldn’t keep the team state’s separate, and combine  the individual state, though.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Twofdr said:

Baylor is a private boarding school, in D2. He will be eligible. Different rules for private schools...this is precisely why they have separate divisions.

I know we all would love to see one division at the state tournament....but, as you can see here.....not quite the same, level playing fields, right? 

Not sure why we couldn’t keep the team state’s separate, and combine  the individual state, though.

This is completely 100% wrong.  The private schools are part of the TSSAA and are under the exact same rules as every other program in the state. 

THE EXACT SAME RULES.  

D2 schools are not allowed to give any athletic scholarships or athletic monies of any kind and must abide by the EXACT same transfer rules as every other TSSAA MEMBER  school.  It is a completely level playing field for all schools. 

Wrestling is an individual sport and as such there should be a single individual state tournament for everyone.  Have as many team dual divisions as you want.  In fact, I say double the number of dual team divisions, so more teams can go to state as I think it grows the sport.  But the individual state tourney should be one, because this diluting of the individual state tournament is hurting our sport. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, durdon said:

This is completely 100% wrong.  The private schools are part of the TSSAA and are under the exact same rules as every other program in the state. 

THE EXACT SAME RULES.  

D2 schools are not allowed to give any athletic scholarships or athletic monies of any kind and must abide by the EXACT same transfer rules as every other TSSAA MEMBER  school.  It is a completely level playing field for all schools. 

Wrestling is an individual sport and as such there should be a single individual state tournament for everyone.  Have as many team dual divisions as you want.  In fact, I say double the number of dual team divisions, so more teams can go to state as I think it grows the sport.  But the individual state tourney should be one, because this diluting of the individual state tournament is hurting our sport. 

I agree in that the individual wrestling state tournament should just be one division.  In fact I will so go far as to say that all individual sports (track & field, cross country, tennis, etc...) should only have one division.  

The one rule that is not the same is that if a student athlete transfers from a school to a boarding school they do not have to sit out one season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cbg said:

I agree in that the individual wrestling state tournament should just be one division.  In fact I will so go far as to say that all individual sports (track & field, cross country, tennis, etc...) should only have one division.  

The one rule that is not the same is that if a student athlete transfers from a school to a boarding school they do not have to sit out one season.

why does where someone lives change the rule? All that does is give the boarding schools an unfair advantage. And now the rest of the state isn't allowed to change because they will live in a house? The rules need to be the same for ALL kids

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cbg said:

You don’t just transfer to a boarding school, it is a physical move.  The student has to live full time at the boarding school.  This is no different than if the student transfers after their entire family moves other than it is significantly harder on the student to leave their family and go off to live of there own.  

19 minutes ago, durdon said:

You don’t just transfer to a boarding school, it is a physical move.  The student has to live full time at the boarding school.  This is no different than if the student transfers after their entire family moves other than it is significantly harder on the student to leave their family and go off to live of there own.  

I do agree it's hard on the kid, but that does not take away from the advantage one or two schools have over the rest of the state.

And I'm gonna disagree with you there. Seems there were a bunch of people trying to stop one or two kids from wrestling this past season after they moved.

1 hour ago, PurpleWrestler said:

I do agree it's hard on the kid, but that does not take away from the advantage one or two schools have over the rest of the state.

And I'm gonna disagree with you there. Seems there were a bunch of people trying to stop one or two kids from wrestling this past season after they moved.

Advantage??   How many kids that were boarders wrestled varsity for Baylor and McCallie this past year?  

The answer is 1 each..  and the one that wrestled for McCallie  didn’t go to McCallie to wrestle and had to be talked in wrestling last year as a freshman. 

The fact that those schools offer boarding really doesn’t give those schools a sports advantage.  

Now yes there were a lot of people that were upset about some of the transfers last year, personally I wish the TSSAA would just do away with all the transfer rules like Illinois has and just let kids go to the programs that fits them best.