David Crockett has a new coach

BlueDevil58

Just now, stockton4182 said:

Crockett has athletes if they stay and not move anywhere 

Every school has athletes.  The thing is getting them out to play.  Moving doesn't have a lot of options in Washington County.  Kids are either going to their assigned high school or they are paying tuition to go to another school.  I'd probably say the ones who move from an assigned school to another system already had that in mind before they entered Crockett or Boone.  Heck, Boone still has (not as much) problems with kids living in Gray going to South.  Some of those kids ended up huge playmakers for South during the Carter years.

If kids from Boone or Crockett transfer anywhere it's more than likely going to be SH. I go to church with a few kids zoned for both Boone and Crockett whose parents are moving them to Johnson City schools in the fall. Johnson City schools are already full enough as it is though and some of these kids looking to transfer in might get turned away .

3 minutes ago, WBNC83 said:

If kids from Boone or Crockett transfer anywhere it's more than likely going to be SH. I go to church with a few kids zoned for both Boone and Crockett whose parents are moving them to Johnson City schools in the fall. Johnson City schools are already full enough as it is though and some of these kids looking to transfer in might get turned away .

I know it was like that in Bristol a few years ago.  I believe Bristol during 1 year was close to being 4A vs. 5A and had they not had those transfers, they would have been a 4A school.  DB is an obvious choice too depending on what part of the county you are at.  It all comes down to money.  How much is tuition a year at DB and SH I wonder?

2 hours ago, formerblazer said:

I know it was like that in Bristol a few years ago.  I believe Bristol during 1 year was close to being 4A vs. 5A and had they not had those transfers, they would have been a 4A school.  DB is an obvious choice too depending on what part of the county you are at.  It all comes down to money.  How much is tuition a year at DB and SH I wonder?

I really don't have any idea. 4 of my buddies in high school were zoned for Boone (3 of them) and Crockett (1). They all transferred in and started attending Johnson City Schools in the 8th grade. I don't think tuition was too terrible when I was in school but that was 15 yrs ago. Now, especially with the overcrowding of the school system, I would have to think it's pretty pricey. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, formerblazer said:

If the student lives in Washington County, it costs them $1650 a year to go to SH.  If they live outside the county, it's $2150 a year.  They get a 50% discount if their parent works for the city or the school system.

For Dobyns-Bennett, it's a little bit less, but they have a bunch of "exemptions" that students can apply for, like "documented justifications related to the child's specific education experience" (i.e. "I'm a talented athlete who wants to play football at D-B.").

2 hours ago, BlueDevil58 said:

The only one that's been reported is the former QB under Bosken, Ryan Burger, who graduated in 2016, and Chandley may interview former assistants under Sensabaugh and Lingerfelt and keep some holdovers.

I think he's also working behind the scenes to get friends and acquaintances from his playing days and college experience to join him.   He told the media he'd announce his staff within the next week, but there hasn't  been a single posting for assistants on the county site or on any coaching job boards.

Well, I wish that young coach well. Seems like he has a mountain to climb. I did hear that the OC from last year is possibly staying. That would be a good choice with his offensive performance last year. But then again with the situation there it might be wise to start completely new and fresh. 

Devil, do you think they got a chance of having a successful up-coming season or is it going to be one of those things that it might take time?

1 hour ago, Bucsback said:

Well, I wish that young coach well. Seems like he has a mountain to climb. I did hear that the OC from last year is possibly staying. That would be a good choice with his offensive performance last year. But then again with the situation there it might be wise to start completely new and fresh. 

Devil, do you think they got a chance of having a successful up-coming season or is it going to be one of those things that it might take time?

It really just depends.

Keeping the OC there when they fired him 1 game into a tenure as interim just seems like a mistake.  The guy about started a riot with the way he handled the post-game, even though he didn't say anything that bad.  It was just tone deaf and the Director of Schools personally fired him over it the next day.  He's clearly a good OC with an impressive background who was put in a terrible position, but if I were him I wouldn't even want to stay.

Chandley is confident and I hear nothing but good things about him, but he's very young and only has 2 years of coaching experience, so in terms of coaching he's not much more experienced than GS was, though he seems a lot more professional already.  It looks like his staff will be even less experienced than he is.

I wish Chandley the best and DC has some talent coming back, but it's a long road ahead.  Still, their schedule is fairly weak and they might even be able to get some breaks and win the conference next year.  Things are just that unpredictable.

Edited by BlueDevil58

I'm not a Crockett fan but the first hire as a member of Coach Chandley's new staff seems very suspect. The Burger kid is what, 20 yrs old? And as far as I know has no coaching experience. Considering Chandley is only 25 himself and has very little coaching experience you'd think he'd try and surround himself with guys with a lot of experience. 

3 hours ago, WBNC83 said:

I'm not a Crockett fan but the first hire as a member of Coach Chandley's new staff seems very suspect. The Burger kid is what, 20 yrs old? And as far as I know has no coaching experience. Considering Chandley is only 25 himself and has very little coaching experience you'd think he'd try and surround himself with guys with a lot of experience. 

Oh Lord, I didn't realize he was that young. Sounds like trouble with that program is far from over. Not much life experiences there to deal with the possibly of protest from parents or players if they don't get their way. Probably will have to wait a few seasons to get that out of them and under the right adult coaching.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, BlueDevil58 said:

The only one that's been reported is the former QB under Bosken, Ryan Burger, who graduated in 2016, and Chandley may interview former assistants under Sensabaugh and Lingerfelt and keep some holdovers.

I think he's also working behind the scenes to get friends and acquaintances from his playing days and college experience to join him.   He told the media he'd announce his staff within the next week, but there hasn't  been a single posting for assistants on the county site or on any coaching job boards.

Bringing in his "friends and acquaintances" is risky to the program. So many things can go wrong there.