REGION 3 - 5 A

28 minutes ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

Whoa, don't be so harsh on the Dragons. They will improve as the season goes along.

However, I feel a little down myself after OR didn't stand up to Maryville. I wonder just how far ahead of the Wildcats is Fulton.   

Unless we're holding back or playing vanilla, I just don't see us beating anyone in our region.  I don't like our lack of energy and not coming out fired up and ready to play.

Our offense was hard to watch yesterday. I just haven't seen anything to excite me yet, but then again I guess my bar is set a little higher than most. 

32 minutes ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

Whoa, don't be so harsh on the Dragons. They will improve as the season goes along.

However, I feel a little down myself after OR didn't stand up to Maryville. I wonder just how far ahead of the Wildcats is Fulton.   

Maryville will make most teams look like middle school programs. I know OR is young and inexperienced on the line and at qb play. But I feel confident that OR's coaching staff will coach up those young players as the season goes along and OR should be just fine.

OR's early tough schedule may hurt them at first. It wouldn't surprise me if OR started out 0-3 but finish the season strong. 

Seems like Fulton did pretty well against Greeneville. #1 is a very underrated QB if you ask me. The kid is good.

I didn't see Clinton against AE but they looked pretty rough against Rhea County. They got CAK on Wednesday but I don't expect much. Dragons looking at another bottom two finish. Hope I'm wrong.

I work with several Alcoa parents, they felt West was a much tougher scrimmage than Catholic, their linebackers were tough to deal with. Alcoa ran through Catholic, as Catholic's coach said in post-scrimmage interviews. 

Maryville's offense was supposed to be rebuilding after having  several seniors move on, but put up big numbers on Friday against OR. Fulton looked very good against a senior loaded, defending state champion Greeneville (Yah, I know 4A vs 5A, Greeneville would beat 90% of the 5A teams right now)

1. Fulton   2.West   3.OR   4. Powell (Matt Lowe will get them in the playoffs)

Fulton in semi-finals against Central/SD......at Fulton

Don't mean to step on toes, just my opinion!

27 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

I work with several Alcoa parents, they felt West was a much tougher scrimmage than Catholic, their linebackers were tough to deal with. Alcoa ran through Catholic, as Catholic's coach said in post-scrimmage interviews. 

Maryville's offense was supposed to be rebuilding after having  several seniors move on, but put up big numbers on Friday against OR. Fulton looked very good against a senior loaded, defending state champion Greeneville (Yah, I know 4A vs 5A, Greeneville would beat 90% of the 5A teams right now)

I feel like Powell will be the surprise team this year. 

20 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

In the Alcoa scrimmage. Catholics starting skilled players only played 11 snaps. #1 and #2 Wr only touched the ball once each. So not much to gage off that. Matthews isn't trying to win a scrimmage. He's trying to see if he has backups that can play. Not saying we might not struggle this yr at times. We only have 3 starters from last yrs offense returning this yr and their all Lineman. But 3 really good lineman. I know what Matthew's said about the scrimmage. But the starting OL had their way with Alcoas DL and LB. Mccallies DL and LB core is full of power 5 offer kids. Catholic scrimmage then yesterday and the OL shut them down. No sacks, No TFL. Cant wait for the season to start. Good luck to all the teams this yr.

47 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

Maryville's offense may be "rebuilding" but those guys have played a lot of football on Friday nights given that the Rebels had big leads early on in most games and guys got a lot of playing time and Friday night experience.  They may have new starters, but they certainly aren't without talent, and especially at the skill positions with guys like Hodge, Davis, Kimble, Jones, etc.  The QB played in some huge games, including the regular season game at Oakland and the second half at Alcoa when the starting QB was out with injury issues. 

I like what I have seen from Powell thus far.  They have some nice skill guys, and Matt Lowe and his new staff (only 2 carryovers from the previous staff) will definitely coach them up.  The QB, Trussley, is a tremendous athlete (an ETSU baseball commit going in to his junior year).  They have some talent in the starters, but developing some depth may take a while.  I can definitely see them in the playoff this year and then see them taking a huge step in 2019.  

18 minutes ago, HTV said:

Maryville's offense may be "rebuilding" but those guys have played a lot of football on Friday nights given that the Rebels had big leads early on in most games and guys got a lot of playing time and Friday night experience.  They may have new starters, but they certainly aren't without talent, and especially at the skill positions with guys like Hodge, Davis, Kimble, Jones, etc.  The QB played, and played well, in some huge games, including the regular season game at Oakland and the second half at Alcoa when the starting QB was out with injury issues. 

I like what I have seen from Powell thus far.  They have some nice skill guys, and Matt Lowe and his new staff (only 2 carryovers from the previous staff) will definitely coach them up.  The QB, Trussley, is a tremendous athlete (an ETSU baseball commit going in to his junior year).  They have some talent in the starters, but developing some depth may take a while.  I can definitely see them in the playoff this year and then see them taking a huge step in 2019.  

3 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

Dawgs82, no toes stepped on. You made good points. West certainly has a good defense like last season. 

One question, if Fulton is playing either Central or South Doyle in the State 5A semifinals that means somebody knocked out Catholic, who do you think that is?

One last thing, do not be surprised if Oak Ridge improves night and day as the season goes along. We have a lot of talent and good coaching. Time will tell though.

If everyone stays healthy, Region 3-5A may have 3 teams that can play with Catholic. Catholic will be good, but I just don't see them being what they were last year. Lost to many skill position players. And their schedule, early on, is brutal. Of their first 5 games, Soddy Daisy may be the weakest and they played Catholic to a 1 point game last year. And they can't overlook Rhea Co. @ RC

With what Fulton had last year and whats coming back, they will be hard to beat. West should be better, and I think OR will get things running.

Fulton/Central at Central on Aug. 23rd will be interesting.