Whitehaven vs Lausanne, Friday, Wk 4, at Rhodes College

kwc

9 hours ago, WilsonJr1990 said:

Word that but I’m hearing is Rhodes double booked their facilities. Not sure how that happens, but at least this happened on Monday rather than Wednesday I guess. 

Double booked? What in the world? How does that even happen?

Like you said, better to find out on Monday rather than Wednesday.

On 9/2/2018 at 8:42 PM, WilsonJr1990 said:

Both teams want to run the ball and I think both will have success. Having McBride back for Whitehaven will be huge. If they are able to handle the Lausanne D line and get to the LBs, it may be a long night for the Lynx. However, if the D line is able to keep the Whitehaven OL away from their backers, they won’t have as much success. Middle linebacker Yusef Thomas is maybe the most underrated LB in the city. I think  Lausanne will have more success running than they did last year. They have looked good this year (against inferior competition obviously). They returned 3 starters from last year and Eric Gray has put on 10-15 pounds of muscle and gotten faster. Missing Bryson Eason (if he doesn’t suit up) may end up being the difference in the game. I hate to see injuries, especially with a big game like this. 

I agree that both teams want to run the ball. However, Whitehaven's has a South Carolina commit on the wing (Mullins). A Vandy commit on the wing (Bodie). An Ohio State commit on the wing (Hamilton). And a WR offered by the U of M on the wing (Page). There are three others on the wing who are all speed merhants who may get some type of offer before it is all said and done. The Whitehaven QB has looked better and better as a passer. The emphasis has been to get the ball out on the wings to the play makers. The QB and receivers are all getting a better sense of syncopation with each other. Lausanne is going to have to contend with a better passing game then last year's team.

Whitehaven will also get a DL back who has been missed (Walker). We will miss Bryson, but we have some capable under studies filling in. 

I don't think Lausanne RB breaks 100 yards in carries. If he does, I don't think it will  be by much. He will probably do similar to last year. That is Whitehaven's defensive M.O. The defense shuts down the opposing team's run game. He broke a few for gains over 20 yards about 3 different times in the game last year. Lausanne is going to have to pass.

Edited by kwc

• CoachT changed the title to Whitehaven vs Lausanne, Friday, Wk 4, at Rhodes College
10 hours ago, kwc said:

I agree that both teams want to run the ball. However, Whitehaven's has a South Carolina commit on the wing (Mullins). A Vandy commit on the wing (Bodie). An Ohio State commit on the wing (Hamilton). And a WR offered by the U of M on the wing (Page). There are three others on the wing who are all speed merhants who may get some type of offer before it is all said and done. The Whitehaven's QB has looked better and better as a passer. The emphasis has been to get the ball out on the wings to the play makers. The QB and receivers are all getting a better sense of syncopation with each other. Lausanne is going to have to contend with a better passing game then last year's team.

Whitehaven will also get a DL back who has been missed (Walker). We will miss Bryson, but we have some capable under studies filling in. 

I don't think Lausanne RB breaks 100 yards in carries. If he does, I don't think it will  be by much. He will probably do similar to last year. That is Whitehaven's defensive M.O. The defense shuts down the opposing team's run game. He broke a few for gains over 20 yards about 3 different times in the game last year. Lausanne is going to have to pass.

I do believe Lausanne is ready to throw it when they have to this year. They return the QB and many receivers. QB Sky Forrest has been very efficient this far this season, though I’m sure the holes is the defense won’t be as open as they have been in the first 2 games. 

Just out of curiosity, do you know the last back to rush for over 100 against Whitehaven? 

21 minutes ago, WilsonJr1990 said:

I do believe Lausanne is ready to throw it when they have to this year. They return the QB and many receivers. QB Sky Forrest has been very efficient this far this season, though I’m sure the holes is the defense won’t be as open as they have been in the first 2 games. 

Just out of curiosity, do you know the last back to rush for over 100 against Whitehaven? 

Oh wow. Good question. I'm going to need some help with this one. I think when we played Maryville in the 2012 championship game their backfield had over 100 yards. I think 150 or something like that. It was a combined effort though. Other then that, I don't remember a RB who has rushed for over 100 yards against a Whitehaven 'D'. If they broke 100 yards, it wasn't by much. I know the Cane Ridge RB broke off a 60 yarder (+/-) to get the go ahead TD. But, I don't think he broke 100 yards total. Somebody help me here.

Edited by kwc

54 minutes ago, WilsonJr1990 said:

Rushing                                  No      Gain      Loss      Net      TD      Lg      Avg

Prevo, Shawn                         30       162        6         156        3        23      5.2

Shuler, Trenton                     10          73        5             68        0       32      6.8

Myers, Nick                              5          37        0             37        0       13      7.4

Cunningham, Ritchie              0            0        0               0        0         0      0.0  

This is from 2012.

30 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

Rushing                                  No      Gain      Loss      Net      TD      Lg      Avg

Prevo, Shawn                         30       162        6         156        3        23      5.2

Shuler, Trenton                     10          73        5             68        0       32      6.8

Myers, Nick                              5          37        0             37        0       13      7.4

Cunningham, Ritchie              0            0        0               0        0         0      0.0  

This is from 2012.

Thanks Red. I couldn't remember the numbers. I remember Shawn and the crew giving our 'D' fits that game. The Maryville passing attack pretty much matched those numbers somewhat.

WIlsonJr1990, that is the answer to your question I believe. I think the Oakland 'backfield' broke the 100 yard mark, I think, but not an individual RB in the 2016 championship game. I will need help with that as well. Other then that, No one else comes to my mind. Guys? Help me out here.

20 minutes ago, kwc said:

Thanks Red. I couldn't remember the numbers. I remember Shawn and the crew giving our 'D' fits that game. The Maryville passing attack pretty much matched those numbers somewhat.

WIlsonJr1990, that is the answer to your question I believe. I think the Oakland 'backfield' broke the 100 yard mark, I think, but not an individual RB in the 2016 championship game. I will need help with that as well. Other then that, No one else comes to my mind. Guys? Help me out here.

Wow, obviously I know how good that defense has been but that’s amazing. 6 YEARS?!?! Maybe Eric Gray and the Lynx can make some more history come Friday night. I can’t wait for this game. Wish it were Friday!

3 hours ago, WilsonJr1990 said:

Whitehaven is well aware of the Lausanne QB. He's very good. Whitehaven is knowledgeable about the receivers as well. Fast, quick, and good hands, Whitehaven can't allow Sky to sit back in the pocket and just find receivers when they do pass. Whitehaven has to make him VERY uncomfortable when they pass. He's too good to not put pressure on him. Hopefully, we can get pressure without having to blitz a lot. The Whitehaven D-line will have their work cut out for them. Whitehaven has to be disciplined when rushing him and not leave gaping holes in the D-line when Lausanne passes the ball.

How has Lausanne's 'D' done against opposing team RBs?

Edited by kwc

Lausanne RB Eric Gray dedicating season to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Drew Hill, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 10:54 p.m. CT Aug. 17, 2018 | Updated 7:26 a.m. CT Aug. 20, 2018

August 14, 2018 - Lausanne's Eric Gray Jr. runs with the ball during Friday's season-opening game at Lausanne versus Rosa Fort (Mississippi) on Aug. 17, 2018.

August 14, 2018 - Lausanne's Eric Gray Jr. runs with the ball during Friday's season-opening game at Lausanne versus Rosa Fort (Mississippi) on Aug. 17, 2018. Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal,

High School Football

(Photo: Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal, )

Eric Gray took the pitch from Lausanne Collegiate School quarterback Schyler Forest and cut left, evading two tacklers on his way to a 57-yard score in the first quarter of the Lynx’s 47-14 home win over Rosa Fort High School from Tunica, Miss., on Friday night.

The University of Michigan commit has scored plenty of touchdowns in his high school career, but this one was different. Not only would the score help the Lynx tie the Shelby County record for consecutive wins (28), but it was also his first touchdown that would have an impact on the children of St. Jude. 

"Knowing that my touchdowns mean so much more than just points on the board, it's really giving me the chance to save lives," Gray said. "It's really impactful on me."

Using an online fundraising tool called pledgeit.org, Gray is dedicating his senior season to St. Jude by allowing fans to make a one-time donation or pledge a specific dollar amount for each touchdown he scores. 

"One day my dad was telling me I should start thinking about a charity that I could do, and at our school, they actually require a creativity, action and service type of project. So me and the kicker, Isaac (Weiss), thought about the touchdown-for-cancer thing. He does it for his kicks, and I do it for my touchdowns, so we could really raise some good money for the St. Jude's kids."

Gray shared his intentions on his Twitter account Thursday, setting a lofty goal of $10,000 by the end of the season. The four-star running back said he was inspired by other athletes using their platforms for a cause.

"I think it gives people the opportunity to see what we've known about him all along," Lausanne coach Kevin Locastro said. "Everyone sees his records and highlights and commitment to Michigan. The general public sees him as a super football player, but we've known since he's been on campus that he's an outstanding young man."

Gray rushed for 248 yards on 17 carries with three touchdowns. He was already a go-to player around the end zone for Lausanne, but now Locastro has an added incentive to help his player put points on the board.

“We are going to do what we've always done," Locastro said. "It's been a pretty good model in the past for scoring a lot of touchdowns. Last year I think he scored 45 rushing and four receiving."

Gray said he has visited St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in the past, and he plans to make another trip at some point this season. 

Lausanne's Eric Gray, a Michigan football commitment, sets lofty goals for senior season

Chris Van Tuyl, USA Today Network - TennesseePublished 8:00 a.m. CT Aug. 12, 2018

State_Football_Division-II-AA_44

(Photo: Caitie McMekin / News Sentinel)

When it comes to listing goals for the 2018 high school football season, Lausanne’s Eric Gray doesn’t hesitate.

“Senior year, you want to go out with a bang,” said Gray, a 5-foot-10, 190-pound running back. “My goals for this year are to win Mr. Football again, definitely win a state championship again and try to go get that National Gatorade Player of the Year.”

Those are three lofty ones Gray will adhere to when the Lynx open their season Friday against visiting Tunica (Miss.) Rosa Fort.

But ones he may be able to back up.

Gray, a Michigan commitment, is the state's No. 9 prospect in the state and No. 3 all-purpose back in the country according to the 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 246 overall prospect in the country.

Recapping 2017, Lausanne finished 13-0 with Gray rushing for 3,151 yards on 323 carries and 45 touchdowns. He also had 268 receiving yards and three TDs. Gray’s final act – in the Division II-AA title game against Chattanooga Notre Dame – featured 281 yards to go along with five scores, as the Lynx coasted to a 41-13 victory.

“That game really goes to our offensive coordinator (Patrick Nagoski),” said Gray, who ran for touchdowns of 39, 35, 19, 12 and 44 yards in the championship. “He drew up some plays that made it look easy. Those plays were wide open holes we were running through. And that’s a testament to our line.”

But it also helps having a talented back like Gray.

“Eric is just a phenomenal player,” Lausanne coach Kevin Locastro said. “I’ll start my 30th year of coaching this year and I can say this with 100 percent accuracy: He’s the best running back I’ve ever had the opportunity to coach and be around.

"We’re going to enjoy the heck out of him while we’ve got him. He’s going to leave a legacy, and he’s helped us have a tremendous amount of success since he started his career at Lausanne.”

In 2017, the Lynx outscored their opponents, 528-177. That dominance could continue this season with Gray in the backfield.

However, that also could allow Locastro to start working on the future.

“Hopefully we’ll be put in a situation this year where we’ll be able to get (other running backs) in some games and do some things,” Locastro said. “I think Eric has kind of taken it upon himself to be that mentor to those kids, which we certainly appreciate as a coaching staff. It’s obviously going to do nothing but help those guys become better players.”

Vols gain 20th commitment in 2019 recruiting class in Memphis' Melvin McBride

Blake Toppmeyer, Knoxville News SentinelPublished 12:25 p.m. CT Aug. 22, 2018 | Updated 2:22 p.m. CT Aug. 22, 2018

Melvin McBride of Whitehaven High School in Memphis.

Melvin McBride of Whitehaven High School in Memphis. 247Sports

Tennessee's 2019 recruiting class now stands at 20 commitments after offensive guard Melvin McBride of Whitehaven High School in Memphis announced his pledge via Twitter on Wednesday.

McBride is rated a three-star prospect by the 247Sports composite.

"I am 100% committed to the University of Tennessee. #RockyTop," McBride wrote on Twitter.

McBride is the third instate prospect to join the class. He's the fourth offensive lineman to pledge to the Vols.

The 6-foot-4, 315-pound McBride is ranked 15th nationally among offensive guards by the 247Sports Composite, and he's the No. 17 overall prospect in Tennessee and the No. 430 overall prospect.

"Extremely athletic for a man that size — actually, scary athletic for a guy that size," Whitehaven coach Rodney Saulsberry said. "Extremely strong, extremely driven and extremely coachable. The kid is a sponge to learning. He wants to get better.”

McBride plays tackle for Whitehaven but projects as a guard in college. McBride didn't play football until last season, and "his upside is tremendous," Saulsberry said.

Following McBride's commitment, UT is 10th in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings.

McBride chose UT over Arkansas, Louisville, Memphis and Indiana, among others.

“That’s where I felt more at home, and I already have a close relationship with the coaches and the players there, too,” McBride told GoVols247.

“I was on the phone with Drew Richmond last night, and Jerome Carvin. I’ve got a relationship with the players, so I felt more at home going to Tennessee than at Arkansas.”

McBride told GoVols247 he plans to take official visits to two other schools.

“I do plan on still taking my official to Arkansas and Louisville,” he said. “They’re still recruiting me even though I’m committed, and I’ll still take my officials to those schools.

“But other than that, this is it.”

Memphis' CorMontae Hamilton so determined to play at Ohio State, he took solo bus trip, got offer

Jason Munz, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 7:04 a.m. CT Aug. 24, 2018

Cormontae Hamilton

(Photo: Mark Weber, The Commercial Appeal)

CorMontae Hamilton has recounted the Greyhound bus story so many times by now, he could likely tell it in his sleep.

The 4 a.m. wakeup call in the middle of summer. The 24-plus hours the 17-year-old spent going from Memphis to Columbus, Ohio, and back — alone. The countless number of Lil Baby, Young Dolph and YoungBoy Never Broke Again tracks that pumped through his Beats by Dre to keep him company. The Uber driver who kindly stopped at a Columbus Chick-fil-A before dropping him off at a Comfort Inn for the night. The gloves and cleats he threw into a backpack and wore the next day at Ohio State’s Friday Night Lights football camp.

Hamilton, a three-star tight end and one of Whitehaven’s senior captains, so coveted a scholarship offer from the Buckeyes that he was willing to do whatever it took to put himself in the right place at the right time to get it.

“My team growing up was the Florida Gators,” said Hamilton, whose family moved to Memphis from Decatur, Illinois, almost a decade ago. “And Urban Meyer was the head coach there at the time. So I had been feeling Ohio State for a long while.”

Whitehaven's Cormontae Hamilton runs through drills

Whitehaven's Cormontae Hamilton runs through drills during a recent practice.  (Photo: Mark Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

Why trip to Columbus, Ohio, was on a Greyhound

But Hamilton’s plans hit a snag shortly before he was set to head north on June 21. The 6-foot-1, 246-pounder’s mother, Nikki Gilmore, couldn’t get off work in time to make the drive. So she nervously agreed to let him board a Greyhound at the Airways Boulevard station.

“I think it was worse for me,” said Gilmore, who dropped her son off early the morning before the one-day camp. “Between me, my mom and my sister, we worried the whole time. They were like, ‘Did you talk to him? Have you heard from him?’ So I called him, like, every other second. And when I wasn’t calling, I was texting. I was telling him to watch the people around him. ‘Watch your surroundings. Make sure you carry your backpack with you at all times. Don’t be texting and tweeting while you’re walking.’

“He was like, ‘Mom, I’m fine.’”

Despite battling an injured shoulder, Hamilton earned the scholarship offer he was after and committed to the Buckeyes on July 27. 

Hamilton admitted his trek, which made stops in Nashville, Bowling Green, Louisville and Cincinnati before reaching Columbus, wasn’t the most glamorous. Besides the backpack, folder full of bus tickets and headphones, he carried a pillow and a jar of juice (consisting of apple cider vinegar, ginger and green tea) his mother concocted.

Gilmore has been preparing the all-natural homemade beverages since her youngest son, MarQuavius Jones, died in 2015 at 4 years old from a rare form of cancer (alveolar soft-part sarcoma). Only 80 cases are diagnosed per year, according to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

“They gave him chemo and radiation and he beat it the first time,” Hamilton said of his half-brother’s battle with the disease. “But it somehow came back and my mom decided to try some natural ways to make him better. And it really helped him. But it came back worse.”

“We wanted to eat like (MarQuavius), so he didn’t have to eat that way alone,” Gilmore said. “So ‘Tae’ has kept it going.”

Whitehaven senior Cormontae Hamilton (9) is verbally committed to Ohio State.

Whitehaven senior Cormontae Hamilton (9) is verbally committed to Ohio State. (Photo: Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal)

What CorMontae Hamilton said about Urban Meyer

Meyer was suspended Wednesday night for the first three games of the season for how he handled what an Ohio State investigation called "a pattern of troubling behavior" by former assistant coach Zach Smith.

Hamilton said the controversy has done nothing to shake his commitment. 

"Not at all," he said, noting offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson has served as his primary recruiter. "Like I tell everyone else, it doesn't bother me. When I heard about it a few weeks ago, I texted (Meyer) and said, 'Wish you well. Hope everything will be all right.'"