Whitehaven vs Lausanne, Friday, Wk 4, at Rhodes College

kwc

How South Carolina football landed Whitehaven star Keveon Mullins

Drew Hill, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 10:21 p.m. CT Aug. 31, 2018 | Updated 11:04 p.m. CT Aug. 31, 2018

Whitehaven Cordova Football

(Photo: Mark Weber, The Commercial Appeal)

Whitehaven football star Keveon Mullins doesn’t know life outside of Memphis. It’s where he grew up. It’s where he fell in love with football. It’s where he envisioned himself for a long time.

It’s a big reason why he committed to Memphis back in April, only to back off that decision and eventually choose South Carolina.

It’s why, when Whitehaven (3-0) marches to wins like its 41-13 victory over Cordova on Friday night, it means more to the four-star senior. This is his final season in the place he calls his home.

"This season will be very special to me," Mullins said. "This is my home, and I have to do what I do before I leave for South Carolina. I have to show this city what's up." 

For most of his recruitment, Mullins didn't have the opportunity to see some of the high-level programs who had taken interest in him. After all, he had not spent much time outside of his hometown. Whitehaven coach Rodney Saulsberry knew he needed to get Mullins and some his teammates on the road to some of the programs in the southeast that looked like a potential fit.

“As young kids, they obviously haven’t been outside of Memphis a lot,” Saulsberry said. “These kids that were attracting a lot of interest from all over the country, we wanted to make a point that they got to visit some of these places so they can make a wise decision on whether it’s a fit for them.”

The coach referred to the journey some of his players made through the South as a “tour” of colleges over a span of several days. The trip started at South Carolina and made stops at Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee, Louisville and Vanderbilt before coming back to Memphis. Before that trip, Mullins and his teammates went west, stopping at Arkansas, Oklahoma and Tulsa.  

In the end, Memphis and South Carolina felt like great opportunities for Mullins, but the Gamecocks were slightly more enticing. He loved the young, energetic nature of coach Will Muschamp and running backs coach Bobby Bentley. Muschamp had stayed in the thick of Mullins’ recruitment from its early stages.

"They were just a nice, truthful group of guys," Mullins said. "I knew they were telling me the truth when they told me how they were going to play me and use me."

Saulsberry knew the only thing left for Mullins to do before making his decision was to get his mother, another long-time Memphian, on board. When Mullins brought her along on a visit to the school she could see it in her son’s eyes.

“Once his mom saw everything, and knew that was where he wanted to go, it was over,” Saulsberry said. “The decision was made. Exposure was the key to everything.”

Mullins and Whitehaven will take on Lausanne next week in a rematch of the Lynx’s 14-7 win last season.

Edited by kwc

8 hours ago, kwc said:

Whitehaven is well aware of the Lausanne QB. He's very good. Whitehaven is knowledgeable about the receivers as well. Fast, quick, and good hands, Whitehaven can't allow Sky to sit back in the pocket and just find receivers when they do pass. Whitehaven has to make him VERY uncomfortable when they pass. He's too good to not put pressure on him. Hopefully, we can get pressure without having to blitz a lot. The Whitehaven D-line will have their work cut out for them. Whitehaven has to be disciplined when rushing him and not leave gaping holes in the D-line when Lausanne passes the ball.

How has Lausanne's 'D' done against opposing team RBs?

They’ve even stout so far, but haven’t seen anything like they will this week. Don’t think they are as good up front as they have been but the LBs are very good and they have safeties that aren’t afraid to get involved in the run game

9 hours ago, WilsonJr1990 said:

They’ve even stout so far, but haven’t seen anything like they will this week. Don’t think they are as good up front as they have been but the LBs are very good and they have safeties that aren’t afraid to get involved in the run game

Yeah, I agree. Rosa Fort and Harding Academy's run  games aren't on the same level as Whitehaven's. Our two RBs are fast as lightning. They vary from Witherspoon, who had a little more wiggle to him. These two guys are pure speed burners. When they kick in the turbo, it's very apparent. 

1 hour ago, kwc said:

Yeah, I agree. Rosa Fort and Harding Academy's run  games aren't on the same level as Whitehaven's. Our two RBs are fast as lightning. They vary from Witherspoon, who had a little more wiggle to him. These two guys are pure speed burners. When they kick in the turbo, it's very apparent. 

Tyler Moore - Harding Academy is a beast.  He is just as good as Sneed.  Go check him out. 

Elusive, strong, great hands.   Not the tallest, but a good back.  He has no help over there though.  

Not sure what Rosa Fort had.  

21 minutes ago, Respect901fball said:

Tyler Moore - Harding Academy is a beast.  He is just as good as Sneed.  Go check him out. 

Elusive, strong, great hands.   Not the tallest, but a good back.  He has no help over there though.  

Not sure what Rosa Fort had.  

Just as good as Sneed is saying something in my opinion because I THINK that Sneed is one of the best in the City in going from point A to point B in the shortest time possible. He was 2nd fiddle last year to Witherspoon as a sophomore. Before it is all said and done, Sneed will be considered one of the best in the city in his own right. It helps to have all of the talent on the wings, because teams can't stack the box, as in times past. Right now, Sneed just doesn't have the name recognition. Sneed and Andre Gooden, RB #2, who also plays Safety, can both flat out burn. 

Tyler Moore you say?

On 9/4/2018 at 11:18 AM, Red Rebels said:

Rushing                                  No      Gain      Loss      Net      TD      Lg      Avg

Prevo, Shawn                         30       162        6         156        3        23      5.2

Shuler, Trenton                     10          73        5             68        0       32      6.8

Myers, Nick                              5          37        0             37        0       13      7.4

Cunningham, Ritchie              0            0        0               0        0         0      0.0  

This is from 2012.

It’s a shame Cunningham didn’t get any carries in that game. He was a real game changer!!  Lol!!!