Basketball shorts rule

CoachHolly7

So there is a huge MidTn wide petition being started for T$$AA to change the rule of rolling up shorts during games.   Almost 1500 have signed this petition.  Twitter is blowing up.  Since this is a NFHS rule, can T$$AA change it for TN?  Players and coaches are complaining that the shorts run too big for many of their players.  

7 minutes ago, bigredmachine said:

So there is a huge MidTn wide petition being started for T$$AA to change the rule of rolling up shorts during games.   Almost 1500 have signed this petition.  Twitter is blowing up.  Since this is a NFHS rule, can T$$AA change it for TN?  Players and coaches are complaining that the shorts run too big for many of their players.  

Yes, the TSSAA may adopt a different rule other than a NFHS rule.  However, to the best of my knowledge the TSSAA has never done this and has always followed the NFHS rule book to the letter of the law.  JMO, but you will probably have to wait for the NFHS to change the rule.

1 hour ago, bigredmachine said:

TSSAA will not change it

my question is why this rule was put into place.  Does it offer an advantage to a player?  In my experiences, it's been more of a disadvantage to a player if his shorts are too big... If TSSAA is about the players, they should look into changing/modifying that rule, or not enforcing the rule so strictly... (we all know there are certain rules that are not followed exactly as written... from game to game, season to season, or even team to team, at all different levels). 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, threeball said:

my question is why this rule was put into place.  Does it offer an advantage to a player?  In my experiences, it's been more of a disadvantage to a player if his shorts are too big... If TSSAA is about the players, they should look into changing/modifying that rule, or not enforcing the rule so strictly... (we all know there are certain rules that are not followed exactly as written... from game to game, season to season, or even team to team, at all different levels). 

+1

On 10/22/2018 at 12:00 PM, threeball said:

Rolling shorts is not necessary. Teams can get shorts that fit. The style now is to wear smaller shorts. When I played 94-98 and continuing through the 2000's oversized was the "style" now the style is to wear shorts small. This is why all of the sleeves, undershirts, headbands etc.. have been regulated. People take it too far. The only thing the refs and higher-ups need to say is the drawstring being exposed as a safety hazard. 

Basketball's one area of individuality has been shoes. There is a major subculture and mini-economy just for basketball shoes. 

23 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Rolling shorts is not necessary. Teams can get shorts that fit. The style now is to wear smaller shorts. When I played 94-98 and continuing through the 2000's oversized was the "style" now the style is to wear shorts small. This is why all of the sleeves, undershirts, headbands etc.. have been regulated. People take it too far. The only thing the refs and higher-ups need to say is the drawstring being exposed as a safety hazard. 

Basketball's one area of individuality has been shoes. There is a major subculture and mini-economy just for basketball shoes. 

It would seem that TSSAA and NFHSS would have better things to do...................... No Safety issues, No Advantage gained....What's all the fuss about? Let's just play ball!

38 minutes ago, chattaauhoops said:

It would seem that TSSAA and NFHSS would have better things to do...................... No Safety issues, No Advantage gained....What's all the fuss about? Let's just play ball!

Safety issue for fingers.

This is the same reason that some leagues I've seen, especially when I was on the military base in Korea, had players turn their shorts inside out or put tape over there pockets. I asked a ref what that was all about. He told me a year earlier a guy got his hand caught in a guys pocket and it broke his finger at the knuckle. They thought it was a freak accident until guys kept getting their fingers hung in their pockets and dislocating/breaking fingers or pulling guys shorts down. It was all inadvertent but it happened.

Now, imagine a kid with his shorts rolled and the drawstring exposed. Another kid is guarding him and just by chance another kid gets his hand or fingers caught in the drawstring. You can have a dislocation/break of a finger(s). A guy's shorts get pulled down because another guy is hung up in his drawstring. 

That's all the reason that they need to continue this rule. 

Individuality has no place in high school sports.

3 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Safety issue for fingers.

This is the same reason that some leagues I've seen, especially when I was on the military base in Korea, had players turn their shorts inside out or put tape over there pockets. I asked a ref what that was all about. He told me a year earlier a guy got his hand caught in a guys pocket and it broke his finger at the knuckle. They thought it was a freak accident until guys kept getting their fingers hung in their pockets and dislocating/breaking fingers or pulling guys shorts down. It was all inadvertent but it happened.

Now, imagine a kid with his shorts rolled and the drawstring exposed. Another kid is guarding him and just by chance another kid gets his hand or fingers caught in the drawstring. You can have a dislocation/break of a finger(s). A guy's shorts get pulled down because another guy is hung up in his drawstring. 

That's all the reason that they need to continue this rule. 

Individuality has no place in high school sports.

Bless you 

22 hours ago, chill said:

Menees said this rule will be strictly enforced. Buy shorts that fit. His words...

It is easy to say "buy shorts that fit" but if you buy shorts that fit your team this year then the following year you may not have as many heavier players or you might have a plethora of younger guys make the team because your team was senior heavy. This is high school and I coach in Fl and we only buy new uniforms once every 4 or 5 years so the change in the size of players each year will vary immensely. I am not for individuality at all as you wear team shoes or you don't play in our program, but sometimes the shorts just don't fit. I guess if you can't "buy shorts that fit" you get your players removed for their shorts sagging which I also don't allow, but if they are too big then it might happen during a play or even worse they fall all the way down. I just think there are much bigger issues and also it gives power hungry referees something more to look for that they can show their authority over. To me common sense should prevail. But like the saying goes, common sense isn't so common anymore. 

18 hours ago, thegame523 said:

It is easy to say "buy shorts that fit" but if you buy shorts that fit your team this year then the following year you may not have as many heavier players or you might have a plethora of younger guys make the team because your team was senior heavy. This is high school and I coach in Fl and we only buy new uniforms once every 4 or 5 years so the change in the size of players each year will vary immensely. I am not for individuality at all as you wear team shoes or you don't play in our program, but sometimes the shorts just don't fit. I guess if you can't "buy shorts that fit" you get your players removed for their shorts sagging which I also don't allow, but if they are too big then it might happen during a play or even worse they fall all the way down. I just think there are much bigger issues and also it gives power hungry referees something more to look for that they can show their authority over. To me common sense should prevail. But like the saying goes, common sense isn't so common anymore. 

Many schools here only buy new uniforms every 3-5 years also.

This trend has nothing to do with shorts that don't fit. The kids see the NBA guys do it so they wanna be like them. 

The problem comes in places (Memphis is a great example) where coaches don't care what shoes, shorts, socks, sleeves, etc... that kids wear. 

There would be players showing up in a completely different uniform if it wasn't part of the rules. 

Rolling shorts is no different trend than the baggy shorts and black socks that started so long ago with the Fab 5 at Michigan. It's a trend and a simple Google search will prove that.

• Like 1