Head Coaching Vacancies

One thing I missed I no it has bit us over and over. I call it situational football example  when the other team has the ball 4th and 20 on the other side of 50. 5 or 10 seconds til half everybody rushing 1 man covering 1 receiver. Out come td. I believe rush 4 put everyone back darem to pass attack run. 

2 hours ago, Tiger77dad said:
2 hours ago, Tiger77dad said:

One thing I missed I no it has bit us over and over. I call it situational football example  when the other team has the ball 4th and 20 on the other side of 50. 5 or 10 seconds til half everybody rushing 1 man covering 1 receiver. Out come td. I believe rush 4 put everyone back darem to pass attack run. 

I agree with you completely on situational football. After watching Waverly play this year. Could you give me an example of when that situation happened? I attended most of Waverly’s games this year and in the past, I can’t recall a situation that your referring to. I am intrigued to know. You seem to have a lot of football knowledge, about as much as running a restaurant. 

10 hours ago, JoeyFreshwater said:

Davidson Academy at the end of the game 1 min left two time outs left we had been running all over them. 4 income plete passes ballgame. We had trouble passing on them all night. And we still had 2 time outs in our pocket. Way to many times on 3 or 4th and long we give up big plays lot of tds

1 hour ago, Tiger77dad said:

Davidson Academy at the end of the game 1 min left two time outs left we had been running all over them. 4 income plete passes ballgame. We had trouble passing on them all night. And we still had 2 time outs in our pocket. Way to many times on 3 or 4th and long we give up big plays lot of tds

Let's see................I guess McConnell had a hard decision to make in the heat of battle.  Put the ball in the hands of the reigning TSSAA Class 2A Mr. Football winner and throwing it to the current TSSAA 2A Mr. Football Finalist.........or let Bradley run the ball.  I am sure most coaches would love to have that problem.  lol

1 hour ago, ocac said:

Let's see................I guess McConnell had a hard decision to make in the heat of battle.  Put the ball in the hands of the reigning TSSAA Class 2A Mr. Football winner and throwing it to the current TSSAA 2A Mr. Football Finalist.........or let Bradley run the ball.  I am sure most coaches would love to have that problem.  lol

It is but that's the problem. When you have the players you haft to play the situation. JD  had run for alot of yards in that game they were stopping pass not run still had 2 time outs to move the ball down the field 

39 minutes ago, H2Oman said:

Has the Waverly coach been fired??? I’m noticing all this Waverly talk on a head coaching vacancy thread and was just curious...

No sir.  He is rumored to be in the running for other jobs West of TN River.  He has done a good job at Waverly, looking in from a distance.  I think the best thing he has done besides cosmetically changing the program is to get the athletes out for football.  Jimmies & Joe's, not X's & O's.

Edited by ocac

I don't know how this got turned into a McConnell is leaving, Waverly is gone suck again,  admin should do better thread, lol, but I would like to say a little something to defend my friend. Me and McConnell move to Waverly the same year. My oldest son was a Senior and my two youngest boys where 7th and 8th grade. At the end of that first magical season me and McConnell had a good personal talk. Turns out, me being from Memphis, we both had some ties with Brighton, the school he came from, so we became cool people and we talk from time to time. One day after  the first season was over we were talking and I jokingly told him  with him being as good as he is I'm just praying for him to have 20/20 vision,  which means that he'll be here to at least 2020 so that all my boys could play for him and only him. His response to that was "You don't have to worry about that, I'm not looking to go nowhere period. Waverly is the job I always wanted and this is where I want to be. I'm going to rebuild this program and make it mine, and we will be winning a state championship!" This was at a time similar to this where everyone is speculating and seem to be already making his decision for him, so it's is easy to say he just told me that to quite the noise, but as a counselor and a preacher of the Gospel for 15 years, I've come to develop a sense of if someone is being sincere or not. On "that day", when he looked me in the eyes and made that statement, I felt without a doubt he meant every word of it to the point where I've never even bought it up again to him because I already feel I know his answer. That being said, that was 4 years ago and I've also have heard the horror stories of how he's had to struggle to get money from admin to get things done and  I don't know if these small town problems and good ole system have made him change his heart, but I do know "that day" he was sincere and was already "bleeding blue!" And if you notice, whenever he wants to get something done and admin won't cooperate he just takes it to the people and get it done, because he knows that even if admin doesn't back it, the community will because we love our boys and our team and I think that's why he will stay...............maybe, lol. I will finish by saying this, I'm not a born and bred homer like a majority of you Waverly posters, but whether he stay or go I thank God everyday for sending him here for my boys to play for him! When we moved here, we moved from Murfreesboro and my son was a junior at Oakland high school and was going to be a starter the next year! So when we got here and I found out about Waverly football, I was devastated! I immediately started praying for the Lord to bless this town and this team because my son had his heart set on playing football in college, which he would not be able to do if he can't get exposure because he's playing for a horrible team. Two months later McConnell was hired, they had that magical first turn around season and the rest is history! And just a little side note to show how good God is, my son was the only one that went to college and played football from that first year's team! This is all true and anyone that knows me can do a little research to see that it was so. I said all that to say this, I know after so many years of losing and sticking your head in the sand,  to get to being considered great and then having the real possibility of going back to obscurity is frightening! But we can't take this out on McConnell if he does leave. I'm not going to be bitter towards anyone that makes a decision to put their family in a better position, that is the duty of a man, that's how I ended up in Waverly, a town I didn't even know existed until I moved here almost 5 years ago. Now I myself have did some sideline coaching and question some of his decisions as we all do, but I've never questioned his loyalty to this team, our boys, and this town!

On 11/29/2018 at 9:40 PM, tradertwo said:

Bad post. We here at Scotts Hill had our own "McConnell" with Coach Stroup...he took over our young program with 24 players, a short history of being everyone's homecoming date, and winning 2 games per year against below average competition. Within 2 seasons he won us a playoff game, and in four we lost a heartbreaker to your Waverly Tigers in the quarterfinals, with 66  kids on the roster. USJ made him an offer that he couldn't refuse, not because we were a stepping stone, but because he had/has a family and career to consider. Could we be bitter about it? Yes, but the truth of the matter is that he left us far better off than when he came here, and both benefited greatly from his being here. I have nothing but respect for the MAN and the coach that he is, wish him well in every endeavor, and am proud to call him a friend. Waverly has attained the status of a premier program under McConnell's watch, and if it's over, you still owe the man your gratitude for what he's done for your community, your school, and your young men who learned from him the right way to play the game.

Always love your post. They're always passionate, but logical and responsible. Didn't get a chance to meet up with any of you posters outside of Waverly's this year because of my schedule, but I'm hoping to meet up with some of you guys next season because most likely after next year I won't be on the T as much. Hoping to catch up with you Big Ed, and Bass. Hopefully you guys are as cool in person as you are on here, ;) lol.

Edited by Super8Dad
Left out word.

2 hours ago, Super8Dad said:

Always love your post. They're always passionate, but logical and responsible. Didn't get a chance to meet up with any of you posters outside of Waverly's this year because of my schedule, but I'm hoping to meet up with some of you guys next season because most likely after next year I won't be on the T as much. Hoping to catch up with you Big Ed, and Bass. Hopefully you guys are as cool in person as you are on here, ;) lol.

Didn't want to tag both your posts, so I went with your reply to mine, but I loved your previous statement. Coach Stroup moved here (across the street), and knew no one, so we got to be friends early in his tenure here... I got the same feeling from him as you from McConnell about being "bought in" to the program and community. Not saying that to be negative about your coach leaving/staying, but to the contrary, I still count him as a close friend, and will forever know in my heart that he regretted leaving while following God's path for him and his family. Just as he did much for us, McConnell has resurrected Waverly's program, and the community's relationship with the school. With success comes the offers, and just as Stroup turned down many before accepting USJ's offer, I'm sure that your coach has also... one day, there'll be "the one that he can't ignore" and he will consider leaving. If he feels that his responsibility to his family dictates that he goes, I hope that the fans there allow him to always look back with nothing but good memories of his time there, because both the fans and him deserve that. That's a long way of saying that I appreciate your view of your coach and his priority's, understanding that life doesn't always go as scripted (by us), and that if he does go, it wasn't because he just used Waverly to get where he wanted to be . If it's any consolation, I don't believe that Westview's job is as appealing as Waverly, and unless there's some personal reasons behind the scenes, I can't see him taking that job over the one that he has.

• Like 1