2009-2014 "Z-Plan"

LoveForTheGame

I think it may be time to bring it back. Too many 3-7 or worse teams in the playoffs. People complained that "teams with tough schedules" were the ones being punished but teams make their own schedules. If anything teams cannot control their regions so right now it's teams in tough regions who are the ones being "punished." Yeah, it may mean Oakland and Blackman have to play out-of-state teams to fill their schedule, tough for them, besides who doesn't like a nice nationally relevant matchup. 

Each district gets the same amount of teams in the playoffs right now. Karl Marx is somewhere smiling. No way that a 4th place team in Davidson or Shelby County should get in over a 5th or 6th team from Williamson or Rutherford.  In college and pro football, each game counts, so I don't get the fuss over making each high school game count either. 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, LoveForTheGame said:

I think it may be time to bring it back. Too many 3-7 or worse teams in the playoffs. People complained that "teams with tough schedules" were the ones being punished but teams make their own schedules. If anything teams cannot control their regions so right now it's teams in tough regions who are the ones being "punished." Yeah, it may mean Oakland and Blackman have to play out-of-state teams to fill their schedule, tough for them, besides who doesn't like a nice nationally relevant matchup. 

Each district gets the same amount of teams in the playoffs right now. Karl Marx is somewhere smiling. No way that a 4th place team in Davidson or Shelby County should get in over a 5th or 6th team from Williamson or Rutherford.  In college and pro football, each game counts, so I don't get the fuss over making each high school game count either. 

What's your shade on metro??

Hillsboro also beat Indy this year. Just saying. Everybody always looks at the bottom or even middle of metro and bases their whole opinion of metro on those schools. Well like some are finding out the more schools you add the more watered down others become. It is what it is but dont put metro down when the top of metro can beat just about anybody.

The top of metro is always very good. East Nashville, Cane Ridge, Hillsboro, etc. I or nobody else is denying that. But the middle of the pack is mediocre at best and the bottom is a word I’m not saying on a public forum. 

McGavock finished fourth in the greater metro district with a 3-7 overall record. Why are they in the postseason? Meanwhile White House at 6-4 isn’t in the playoffs and neither is Franklin County at 5-5. 

For the love of the game I see your point but I'm not sure you are comparing apples to apples. Yes McGavock finished fourth and are mediocre. But McGavock is not a top metro team. Likewise EN finished 2nd in their region but they are not metros second best team. Fairview finished first in their region. Are they Williamson county's best team? When Williamson county adds more schools you'll start to see similar results as metro. The more schools you add the more watered down it gets.

As for the topic, simply there are too many classes. There should be four public school classes and two private school classes. It won't happen with the current regime. Too much money would be lost.

2 hours ago, LoveForTheGame said:

The top of metro is always very good. East Nashville, Cane Ridge, Hillsboro, etc. I or nobody else is denying that. But the middle of the pack is mediocre at best and the bottom is a word I’m not saying on a public forum. 

McGavock finished fourth in the greater metro district with a 3-7 overall record. Why are they in the postseason? Meanwhile White House at 6-4 isn’t in the playoffs and neither is Franklin County at 5-5. 

Are you actually using White House as an example of a team that should be in the playoffs? Surely you are basing that opinion solely on Win-Loss record alone, and not the quality of the schedule. In fact, I put it to you that if White House and Stratford were to swap schedules you'd see very similar outcomes. Moreover, I wouldn't be surprise for Stratford to win in a head-to-head versus White House.

Edited by midtnmale

1 hour ago, midtnmale said:

Are you actually using White House as an example of a team that should be in the playoffs? Surely you are basing that opinion solely on Win-Loss record alone, and not the quality of the schedule. In fact, I put it to you that if White House and Stratford were to swap schedules you'd see very similar outcomes. Moreover, I wouldn't be surprise for Stratford to win in a head-to-head versus White House.

Okay. The z-plan determines playoff teams by overall record. So yes, I’m arguing that a system where 6-4 White House is left out of the playoffs and a 3-7 McGavock team gets into the postseason is flawed, regardless of class or strength of schedule. I’m I saying White House is better than McGavock or Stratford? No. But every game—region or non-region—should count towards playoff births. 

Yes, some “better” teams may miss the playoffs if their schedule is stronger, but that’s sports. Some teams in the NBA West will have an earlier summer than a worse team in the East. 

Is the z-plan perfect? No. Do I stand by it anyway? Yes

6 minutes ago, LoveForTheGame said:

Okay. The z-plan determines playoff teams by overall record. So yes, I’m arguing that a system where 6-4 White House is left out of the playoffs and a 3-7 McGavock team gets into the postseason is flawed, regardless of class or strength of schedule. I’m I saying White House is better than McGavock or Stratford? No. But every game—region or non-region—should count towards playoff births. 

Yes, some “better” teams may miss the playoffs if their schedule is stronger, but that’s sports. Some teams in the NBA West will have an earlier summer than a worse team in the East. 

Is the z-plan perfect? No. Do I stand by it anyway? Yes

I think what you want is for your team to make the playoffs. And if that means being under the Z-Plan and scheduling cream puffs to inflate wins, then so be it.

Get rid of all classifications and regions, other than a public and private postseason split. Take all teams with a .500 season record or better, divide them into 4 or 5 playoff classes by enrollment.  Teams schedule who they want but can’t just go totally for soft opponents since opponent winning percentage would be used to help order playoff brackets.