Whitehaven at Houston - Round 2

reddyrebel6

2 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

In the playoffs you get out of area officials. Do you still think this will be a factor? I've noticed in the playoffs, on our end of the state, sometimes you get officials who aren't used to calling 6A schools in a big time environment. We've had crews, who you can tel,l aren't used to the speed of the game.

Not sure about that one.  It does make sense to have refs from the outside come in though.  

5 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

In the playoffs you get out of area officials. Do you still think this will be a factor? I've noticed in the playoffs, on our end of the state, sometimes you get officials who aren't used to calling 6A schools in a big time environment. We've had crews, who you can tel,l aren't used to the speed of the game.

RR, I have to admit that I haven't been paying attention to that in particular. I mean, I know that the refs are from out of the area, but it hasn't been anything that I've focused upon. The 1st round game at the Haven was interupted by lightning and the rain didn't help matters. 

I like that the refs are from different areas because that will help to remove certain mindsets. Familurarity breeds contempt ... and it can become apparent even in high school football games. Whether the contempt is real or just perceived. 

On another note ... Is the Houston field turf or grass. I think it's turf, but I'm not sure.

8 hours ago, Respect901fball said:

Whitehaven can play when the calls aren't going their way. 

After the Germantown game, I erroneously stated that two of our players were ejected. I was wrong. It was only one player. Late in the 4th quarter when the Whitehaven D was trying to strip a Germantown RB, the MLB got frustrated when the calls didn't go our way. While up in the stands, it was pointed out by someone to numerous people who were sitting around me, that the White Hat was engaging the Whitehaven MLB in conversation after he had assessed a 'delay of game' call against him earlier in the 4th quarter. I don't know what the conversation was about, but coach Saulsberry ... WISELY ... pulled the MLB and most of the starters on defense at that point of the game. I don't remember how much time was on the clock, but it wasn't a lot of time left in the game. I was informed by someone in the stands that the MLB had been ejected. That was wrong information. He wasn't. But, coach Saulsberry saw his MLB getting emotional as the conversation was going on with the White Hat. It probably saved him and some of his team mates from getting ejected. 

Poise and composure are imperative to progress. I think the coaching staff used that opportunity to TEACH. The calls aren't going to go your way all of the time. When the White Hat wants to talk, you can't lose you composure ... even if you think the calls are bogus. You just can't.

Whitehaven has had issues with Personal Foul calls all season. I don't have an issue with those that are done because our guys are aggressive. That come with the aggresivness. I have issues with the one that come as a result of a lack of poise and composure.

I think the coaching staff has been addressing poise and composure issues all season. It's a good thing the coaches KNOW their players and their mentalities. It's important that these young men learn to control how they react to issues when they aren't going their way. It only gets tougher.

Champions don't lose their cool. They prevail. If you are going to be a champion. Poise and composure are paramount. 

I'm confident the coaches have gotten the message across. I know our D1 OL got it, after he let his team down by losing his cool with Germantown's #99. You can't be selfish and blow a fuse just because you think the ref is being unfair. You suck it up and compose yourself, and play the next play.

We keep our composure. We win.

I'm anxious to see how we do against a good Houston team.

Edited by kwc

13 hours ago, Respect901fball said:

This game is going to be pretty good. I picked Houston to win ONLY because I've seen the way Whitehaven can play when the calls aren't going their way.  This game is going to be at Houston where i'm sure they'll get the benefit of the doubt on some calls.  Whitehaven will self implode. 

MY prediction

It's the Playoffs... we're going to the semifinals at least boss

10 hours ago, kwc said:

After the Germantown game, I erroneously stated that two of our players were ejected. I was wrong. It was only one player. Late in the 4th quarter when the Whitehaven D was trying to strip a Germantown RB, the MLB got frustrated when the calls didn't go our way. While up in the stands, it was pointed out by someone to numerous people who were sitting around me, that the White Hat was engaging the Whitehaven MLB in conversation after he had assessed a 'delay of game' call against him earlier in the 4th quarter. I don't know what the conversation was about, but coach Saulsberry ... WISELY ... pulled the MLB and most of the starters on defense at that point of the game. I don't remember how much time was on the clock, but it wasn't a lot of time left in the game. I was informed by someone in the stands that the MLB had been ejected. That was wrong information. He wasn't. But, coach Saulsberry saw his MLB getting emotional as the conversation was going on with the White Hat. It probably saved him and some of his team mates from getting ejected. 

Poise and composure are imperative to progress. I think the coaching staff used that opportunity to TEACH. The calls aren't going to go your way all of the time. When the White Hat wants to talk, you can't lose you composure ... even if you think the calls are bogus. You just can't.

Whitehaven has had issues with Personal Foul calls all season. I don't have an issue with those that are done because our guys are aggressive. That come with the aggresivness. I have issues with the one that come as a result of a lack of poise and composure.

I think the coaching staff has been addressing poise and composure issues all season. It's a good thing the coaches KNOW their players and their mentalities. It's important that these young men learn to control how they react to issues when they aren't going their way. It only gets tougher.

Champions don't lose their cool. They prevail. If you are going to be a champion. Poise and composure are paramount. 

I'm confident the coaches have gotten the message across. I know our D1 OL got it, after he let his team down by losing his cool with Germantown's #99. You can't be selfish and blow a fuse just because you think the ref is being unfair. You suck it up and compose yourself, and play the next play.

We keep our composure. We win.

I'm anxious to see how we do against a good Houston team.

Excellent post KWC , Good Luck Friday night !

Whitehaven (8-3) at Houston (10-1)
The last time these two teams met in the playoffs was all the way back in 2000 as the Tigers won 29-0. They have played in the regular season in 2015 & 2016 and both of those were won by Whitehaven. You take a look at Whitehaven's record and think that it was a down year by their standards. However, when you dig a little closer, you will see that the combined record of the three teams that Whitehaven lost to (Lausanne, North Little Rock, Germantown) is 31-0. 11 of the 12 teams they have played this year have/are still playing in the playoffs.

RB Cameron Sneed had 3 TD in the opening round victory over Collierville and has over 1,000 yds rushing and 12 TD on the year. QB Vincent Guy, a UT Martin commit, has over 1400 yds passing with 25 TD and only 3 interceptions. South Carolina commit WR Keveon Mullins, has 32 catches for 656 yds (20.5/catch) with 10 TD while Vandy commit Devin Boddie averages almost 15 yds a catch with 6 TD. The Tigers have always been outstanding on defense and last week vs Collierville, they had 4 interceptions including a 100 yd pick 6 for Ariyon Paige. Whitehaven allowed 187 yds on 74 plays (2.5 yds per play). I think Coach Saulsberry would be happy with that again this week.

Houston's only loss on the year came to Germantown back in week 2 and the Mustangs have been rolling ever since. Standout RB Lincoln Pare led the way in their playoff win over White Station with 191 yds rushing and 4 TD. Pare has 1870 yds rushing on the year (8.2/carry) & 25 TD.  QB Ethan Burns has had a good year throwing for over 1500 yds & 18 TD. WR Grayson Hitt has 9 of those TD & is averaging over 20 yds/catch. Nick Anewalt has been solid in all phases of the kicking game for the Mustangs. Houston is 5th in the Shelby Metro area at 376 yds/gm on offense.

Edited by dannyq