District to State is an eternity

CoachHolly7

25 minutes ago, thehardtruth said:

That will weed the weak ones out!  Will put more emphasis on depth of the bench.

I think it would be a awesome format. At the end the best teams are going to be there. You might have 4 or 5 from one side of the state and maybe only one from the other. It is a shame that some districts are loaded but only a couple advance then you get to state and your like the team that is there couldnt beat our 6th place team in our district. But they are there because their district, region, and sectional is awful. 

That a good point, but if a region runner-up is good enough to go on the road and beat a region champ they do deserve a spot in the state. There's also the location question, if you just took region champs who would hosts. Neutral court isn't always easy to obtain. 

7 hours ago, Indian said:

That a good point, but if a region runner-up is good enough to go on the road and beat a region champ they do deserve a spot in the state. There's also the location question, if you just took region champs who would hosts. Neutral court isn't always easy to obtain. 

If only region champions were taken there would be no need to "host" The region champions will be in the state quarterfinals already as there are only 8 regions in basketball.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:21 PM, AllVolHere said:

I think it would be a awesome format. At the end the best teams are going to be there. You might have 4 or 5 from one side of the state and maybe only one from the other. It is a shame that some districts are loaded but only a couple advance then you get to state and your like the team that is there couldnt beat our 6th place team in our district. But they are there because their district, region, and sectional is awful. 

So you are saying that the sixth place team from your district is at least better than the "worst" team in the state quarterfinals?  I personally feel that the way the post season weeds out the pretenders in basketball is better than it does in football. A team first has to get through a district tournament, then a regional tournament; then a sectional match up before it make to the state quarterfinals. By the time that time I feel confident that while they may not be the eight best teams in the state, no team is worst that the tenth best. But your district is so good the sixth best team is still better than the eighth "best   team at the quarter finals. Keeping in mind that any team making it to the quarterfinal is one of the better teams from two regions/ four districts.

On March 1, 2019 at 8:41 PM, midtnmale said:

If only region champions were taken there would be no need to "host" The region champions will be in the state quarterfinals already as there are only 8 regions in basketball.

That is correct. I would just feel bad for someone in Riverdale's district, or a Clarkrange, an another example, that might be a top 3 team in their class but may get shut out. I think 4 classes are needed with all the new magnet/charters starting up, but as far as the layout I'd keep it the same. If four classes is too much for MTSU play the first round at area high schools. It wouldn't be the same but it would be more incentive to make it to the final 4. 

On 3/1/2019 at 8:58 PM, midtnmale said:

So you are saying that the sixth place team from your district is at least better than the "worst" team in the state quarterfinals?  I personally feel that the way the post season weeds out the pretenders in basketball is better than it does in football. A team first has to get through a district tournament, then a regional tournament; then a sectional match up before it make to the state quarterfinals. By the time that time I feel confident that while they may not be the eight best teams in the state, no team is worst that the tenth best. But your district is so good the sixth best team is still better than the eighth "best   team at the quarter finals. Keeping in mind that any team making it to the quarterfinal is one of the better teams from two regions/ four districts.

To answer your question No our 6th place team in District is not that good but there is 6 teams in our region that are but only 2 advanced to sectionals. A couple of those teams have beaten teams from other regions that are going to State. They were also way better than the two teams that advanced to our sectionals and got put out. So if you are saying the best 8 showed up at state that would be inaccurate. There are weak districts, regions, and sectionals

22 hours ago, AllVolHere said:

To answer your question No our 6th place team in District is not that good but there is 6 teams in our region that are but only 2 advanced to sectionals. A couple of those teams have beaten teams from other regions that are going to State. They were also way better than the two teams that advanced to our sectionals and got put out. So if you are saying the best 8 showed up at state that would be inaccurate. There are weak districts, regions, and sectionals

Go back and read my post. I never said that the state tournament has the top 8 teams.  In fact, I said they probably aren't eight best. I then went on to suggest that they are likely no worse than top ten. 

Now you are backing out on your assertion that the 6th best team in your district could beat one of the lesser teams in the state. You now want to expand the population and say they are six teams in your region that could do it. I don't know your region. But I'm still not so sure about that. But I will give a slim possibility that a particular region could do it in a given year. 

Finally, who beat whom in the past is irrelevant. It is tournament time. What is important is who you beat now; just like the NCAA tournament.  I'm sure there were plenty of teams last season, from strong conferences, who didn't get in the tournament but would have otherwise beaten Loyola-Chicago. But the Ramblers were the ones who made it to the Final Four.