2019 Ladies Classic in Greenevillle, TN

Americal198

42 minutes ago, jimbo44 said:

The Lady Bees outscored N Greene 55-38.  I wonder who they play next?  Dekalb Co plays Pulaski Co. KY in the finals at Daytona. I saw a screenshot where Pulaski defeated Cookeville, were was no score on it.

Upperman plays Jefferson Co next, I say Upperman wins this game handle, Meigs played JC back in the summer and right before the season and won both games by 20+

I watched every winner's bracket game today.

It seems like it has been four or five years since guards Alexis Gramman and Makayla Alvey first graced the Ladies Classic. Here they are again! My view of the two girls has been as bookend guards. Not now. Alvey has grown at least three inches since last Ladies Classic. Madee Denton and Cayla Smith also returned from last year's team. Jeff County is solid. They beat Lanier, Georgia fairly easily.

Upperman has been a very impressive team. They don't make many mistakes. The player that kept North Greene from getting back in to the game, in the second half, was Torie Brooks—making three straight three point shots. Guard play between these two teams (Jefferson County and Upperman) is even.

The player that is going to make the difference in the next game will be #44 Freshman post for Upperman, Abigail Johnson. I don't see anyone on Jeff County matching up with her.

Dobbins-Bennett led for most of the game, but could not shake Meigs County. I've tried to figure out how Meigs stayed in this game and have to conclude it was their point guard, Jacelyn Stone. She is the heart of this team.

D-B was up by one, with about 29 seconds left. D-B was in-bounding the ball, when one of their players was called for a foul by flagrantly and unnecessarily, pushing off the Meigs player that had been holding her. D-B fans were po'ed, but the Dobyns-Bennett player was clearly in the wrong. (My own eyes saw it.) A foul that lost them the game.

Finally, I thought that Oak Ridge would give Dacula, Georgia a good game, but did not expect the complete thrashing a much smaller Oak Ridge gave to them! It was something to watch. Oak Ridge showed how pure athleticism, once in a while, can overcome a "Goliath."

I don't like to make picks, but will predict Oak Ridge and Upperman in the final game. Upperman's coach needs to stop lobbying the refs. It's past the point of merely being an annoyance.

Edited by Americal198

11 minutes ago, Americal198 said:

I watched every winner's bracket game today.

It seems like it has been four or five years since guards Alexis Gramman and Makayla Alvey first graced the Ladies Classic. Here they are again! My view of the two girls has been as bookend guards. Not now. Alvey has grown at least three inches since last Ladies Classic. Madee Denton and Cayla Smith also returned from last year's team. Jeff County is solid. They beat Lanier, Georgia fairly easily.

Upperman has been a very impressive team. They don't make many mistakes. The player that kept North Greene from getting back in to the game, in the second half, was Torie Brooks—making three straight three point shots. Guard play between these two teams is even.

The player that is going to make the difference in the next game will be #44 Freshman post for Upperman, Abigail Johnson. I don't see anyone on Jeff County matching up with her.

Dobbins-Bennett led for most of the game, but could not shake Meigs County. I've tried to figure out how Meigs stayed in this game and have to conclude it was their point guard, Jacelyn Stone. She is the heart of this team.

D-B was up by one, with about 29 seconds left. D-B was in-bounding the ball, when one of their players was called for a foul by flagrantly and unnecessarily, pushing off the Meigs player that had been holding her. D-B fans were po'ed, but the Dobyns-Bennett player was clearly in the wrong. (My own eyes saw it.) A foul that lost them the game.

Finally, I thought that Oak Ridge would give Dacula, Georgia a good game, but did not expect the complete thrashing a much smaller Oak Ridge gave to them! It was something to watch. Oak Ridge showed how pure athleticism, once in a while, can overcome a "Goliath."

I don't like to make picks, but will predict Oak Ridge and Upperman in the final game. Upperman's coach needs to stop lobbying the refs. It's past the point of merely being an annoyance.

I was surprised that Meigs won that game, after the way they shot the ball, they just struggled to get anything going, but you have to give credit to Dobyns-Bennett for coming up with a good game plan, to slow Meigs down, Meigs plays really fast and scores a lot of points off turnovers, and DB did a good job of slowing the game down. Meigs is still learning to play without Kassidy Kenny, she has lead the team in scoring science her freshman year, she scored 1000 points by the middle of her sophomore year, and that a lot of points to makeup, Meigs will have to play a little better against Oak Ridge to pull out the win, it’s a rematch of the first regular season game at Oak Ridge, Meigs lead for almost the hole game but Oak Ridge won it at the end. But Oak Ridge looks to be much improved.

2 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

I was surprised that Meigs won that game, after the way they shot the ball, they just struggled to get anything going, but you have to give credit to Dobyns-Bennett for coming up with a good game plan, to slow Meigs down, Meigs plays really fast and scores a lot of points off turnovers, and DB did a good job of slowing the game down. Meigs is still learning to play without Kassidy Kenny, she has lead the team in scoring science her freshman year, she scored 1000 points by the middle of her sophomore year, and that a lot of points to makeup, Meigs will have to play a little better against Oak Ridge to pull out the win, it’s a rematch of the first regular season game at Oak Ridge, Meigs lead for almost the hole game but Oak Ridge won it at the end. But Oak Ridge looks to be much improved.

"Meigs will have to play a little better against Oak Ridge to pull out the win," A little better? Are you kidding? You must not have watched Oak Ridge and Dacula tonight.

13 minutes ago, Americal198 said:

"Meigs will have to play a little better against Oak Ridge to pull out the win," A little better? Are you kidding? You must not have watched Oak Ridge and Dacula tonight.

Yes I did watch the game, that’s the same team Meigs played early this year at Oak Ridge and lead by 17 in the first half, but yes Meigs will definitely have to play better to win. I’m hoping tomorrow off will help a couple of the girls get over some sickness. It should be a really good game.

1 hour ago, Dadof2 said:

Yes I did watch the game, that’s the same team Meigs played early this year at Oak Ridge and lead by 17 in the first half, but yes Meigs will definitely have to play better to win. I’m hoping tomorrow off will help a couple of the girls get over some sickness. It should be a really good game.

Fair enough. However, every team has lost players on account of flu! It has to be looked at as equal for every team.

Tonight, Oak Ridge could have beaten any team in the state of Tennessee.

Doubtful any "bad" team could have done likewise.

Edited by Americal198
accuracy

6 hours ago, Americal198 said:

Fair enough. However, every team has lost players on account of flu! It has to be looked at as equal for every team.

Tonight, Oak Ridge could have beaten any team in the state of Tennessee.

Doubtful any "bad" team could have done likewise.

I think Meigs has a chance to win, but they will have to play a lot better to do it (IS THAT BETTER?) lol. They will have to start making some outside shots, which they usually do, but lately they haven’t been falling. Regardless of the outcome, you have two really good 2A and two good 3A teams left, and it has been fun watching this tournament that’s loaded with some talented teams.

I was there yesterday for the games...

Oak Ridge is so well coached that they simply ran right through a Dacula team full of talented players with no problem at all. I would think that Upperman will meet them in the championship game. 

Ive seen nearly all of the top A and AA teams in the state now. North Greene is solid... very comparable a Gleason or Dresden team. Meigs County is a scrappy group that plays hard. 

1 hour ago, GCPioneer said:

I was there yesterday for the games...

Oak Ridge is so well coached that they simply ran right through a Dacula team full of talented players with no problem at all. I would think that Upperman will meet them in the championship game. 

Ive seen nearly all of the top A and AA teams in the state now. North Greene is solid... very comparable a Gleason or Dresden team. Meigs County is a scrappy group that plays hard. 

Agreed. I would add that Oak Ridge did not match up with Dacula size-wise, but more than made up for that with their athleticism. As someone who mostly watches Class A and AA teams, the Oak Ridge and Dacula game was like watching two college teams.

On 12/29/2019 at 9:55 AM, Americal198 said:

It has been a fun tournament. Since I live in the area, it gives me a chance to renew acquaintances with many people I don't normally have a chance to visit with.

Meigs is a fine team. I wish them well and hope they can make it back to the Ladies Classic next year.

Well Meigs has their chances but just made a few mistakes in the second half, almost every quarter was even but the 3rd. 

Oak Ridge 16 10 19 24

Meigs Co.   15 11 11 23