USJ - CPA

pitw

After seeing USJ Friday night and reading the posts from CPA contingent it would appear this game is going to be won at the line of scrimmage and in the CPA secondary. USJ is very undersized on both lines but makes up for it in quickness and punishing hitters in the their secondary. It's clear that CPA outmans USJ upfront but so did Bruceton. USJ won the Bruceton game, and the initial game with CPA by exploiting weaknesses. Bruceton's was the lack of a real threat in the passing game and a suspect secondary. What are the weaknesses with CPA now.

I will give you the gameplan to beat USJ in a reply post, but I would like the CPA groups thought on the weaknesses of your team first. Let's keep this thread free of smack and score predictions if you don't mind.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CPA has been more run oriented lately. Their offensive line has played very well. They have 2 good tailbacks. They are throwing 10 to 15 times per game primarily to 2 good wide receivers.

CPA has stopped the run very well all year. They used a 3-man front at Ezell and only gave up 37 yards. They also have gotten good presure of the QB out of this set. Their secondary has played very well the last 2 weeks against two good passing teams.

[Edited by Bighurt on 11-25-02 1:16P]

This one is a little tougher to prepare for in my opinion as USJ offer more offense options to worry about. Ezell and Collinwood both have great offenses but you basically know what to expect with their offensive game strategy. (You can't always defend against it, but at least you know what is coming).

Both USJ and CPA are entirely different teams from Game 1 so we can't go too much on history. USJ lost their QB, CPA lost our tailback Eric Holt in that game and both squads have recovered well from these serious setabacks. I think this is a wonderful credit to both sets of coaches.

Since Bighurt does not indicate any CPA weaknesses, I will give you what I see as the Bruins potential shortcomings.

There are really two. Marley relies on the QB to make quick decisions and deliver the ball accurately. Against a big front like CPA he will roll the QB as well. If the ball is not delivered on time or in the right spot the potential for picks is high. The bottom line on this is if the QB has an off night - they're done.

The second is that it appears the Bruins have little depth. They are playing a lot of sophomores and juniors & most play both ways. I would doubt if CPA gets much going in the 1st half on offense. The defense is too quick and flies to the ball. Team speed is USJ's strength. However, if CPA will continue to pound the ball, I think USJ will wear down in the 4th quarter. In the closest game of the year Bruceton trailed 21-7, going to the 4th, but kept pounding the ball with Willis. They ended up scoring two TD's in the 4th and almost winning. They got away from him in the second half of last weeks game and it really cost them.

[Edited by pitw on 11-25-02 4:31P]

Let's let 2000 go. There is really no comparison between either squads 2000 team and the 2002 edition. The 2000 CPA squad was one of the all time best in 1A and the number of quality Division 1 signees backs that up. IMHO that squad would have dominated the Ezell 2001 edition. The 2000-2001 DeLoach-Payne-Fay teams were the best we have had and were simply manhandled by the Lions in 2000. I have been told that we gave away the game in 2001 at USJ but thats history now.............

When we arrived at the Bruceton game, the Bruins were driving for their first TD and it was like, 3rd and 7 from the Bruceton 45. It was a big play. Did Marley appear nervous?? Not at all, he was just strolling the sideline, like a walk in the park, sipping on a cup of coffee, while they converted the 1st down and three or four plays later scored. I think the kids feed off his confidence.

[Edited by pitw on 11-28-02 10:16P]

Have a safe trip down 40 to Jackson. There hasn't been much talk about this game on the board, but it doesn't really need any. Two good teams and coaches. With all the young guys playing for both teams this won't be the last time these two see each other in the playoffs.

Go Bruins!!!