RYAN VS FRA

heartbreakkid

The article on the match in this morning's Nashville City Paper by Dominic Bonvissuto is posted on the CoachT.com home site.

I was at the match. Ryan looked really good-----upper weights were big and strong, lower weights were quick and strong. A really talented bunch. Millshalf-----Joe Oddo, 9th grader, did wrestle and picked up an impressive win at 112. Both Dunnings and Hiller looked like they are headed for big seasons. The MBA-Ryan match will be worth the price of admission folks-----go see it.

Though the score was lopsided in this opening match, I think FRA will have better results as the season goes forward. While they do have a good number of returning startersfrom last season ( Sanders looked good in getting his pin as did Scruggs), they fielded a relatively young team last night, with 5 ninth graders in the line-up. Two of them had to wrestle Whitt Dunning and Jimmy Hiller-----talk about baptism by fire! Jesse Murphy, a state qualifier last year as an 8th grader for FRA, is recovering from an injury, and last year's HWT, Jason Layman, did not wrestle last night. Also, Cody Taylor and Brandon Gass, two starters who were injured last season are not able to wrestle this season because of those injuries. This is not to take anything away from Ryan's impressive show last night. That train was leaving the station-----having these guys might have just slowed it down a bit.

While Wipperman is getting down to wrestle 171, he had to wrestle 189 against Ryan. Zach Ingle still has another week before being able to wrestle again, and Jesse Murphy is recovering from a dislocated elbow, I think, suffered this fall while wrestling. Brandon Grass, a state qualifier in 8th grade, suffered some concussions last year and is unable to wrestle. Cody Taylor, the coaches son, suffered a serious neck/spinal injury last year and is unable to participate in physical sports anymore. Last years heavy weight Taylor Layman is also not wrestling so to not risk injury for football. Despite all this, i still think FRA's wrestling program will only get stronger in coming years.