West at Farragut

FHS_Admiral

On 8/27/2019 at 10:25 AM, DavidGlasgow said:

I went to the west game last year and if my memory is correct they weren't a very disciplined team. They argued with the coaches a lot and it seemed like on one series they had so many penalties they ended up in a 4th and 60 plus yards situation. I watched the Bradley Central game yesterday on my laptop at the airport. Defense flew to the ball well but didn't finish once they got to the ball carrier. Defense really struggles open field tackling. #1 needs to be on the field more. Luckily the BC QB was not a very accurate passer. If he plays on Saturday it will be something other than QB. It seemed like it really took Farragut a while to get in sync on offense. Farragut seems to have found a RB but they are going to have to get on sync in the passing game. The QB didn't look like he has in the past but he also isn't surrounded by the big playmakers he's had the past couple of years. He did come out in the 2nd half and make some impressive throws so hopefully they are hitting on all cylinders to start the west game. Farragut has been spoiled the past few years by never having to worry about covering kickoffs. With the kicker transfer, the days of kicking into the end zone appear to be over. Coaches need to revisit the kick off coverage team and not use it as a chance to let kids get playing time.  

Them REBELS sank ole Glasgow's battleship! LOL! Love it!:lol:

On 8/30/2019 at 3:25 PM, Victorioussecrets said:

I think Farragut comes out firing on all cylinders and wins 31-14

Boy I missed that one. It might be a long season for the Admirals. Farragut is still in need of a running game. Not very creative playing calling. Way to many dive plays with no success. Don’t have the line or RB for the plays they are calling. Special team play almost lost the Bradley Central game and I feel like it lost this game. Farragut had momentum until the fumbled punt. The bright spot was that defense played pretty good. I don’t understand why #1 was not in the game on defense ALL the time. I am also confused why we punted the ball when we where down and had less than 3 minutes on the clock?

1 hour ago, BCsportsfan said:

Oh, I dont dislike Farragut a bit. Big fan of Coach Coatney.

I remember the days when Farragut would, at least, scrimmage Alcoa. They were always pumped getting off the bus, then very sad when getting back on. :lol: I guess that’s why we can’t get a scrimmage these days. Much less a real ballgame outta them... Could say that about several Knox teams. Sad.....

48 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

I remember the days when Farragut would, at least, scrimmage Alcoa. They were always pumped getting off the bus, then very sad when getting back on. :lol: I guess that’s why we can’t get a scrimmage these days. Much less a real ballgame outta them... Could say that about several Knox teams. Sad.....

We have maryville on our regular season schedule this year. I’d have been okay with not having to meet them until playoffs. And we did do 7 on 7 with Alcoa preseason. We scrimmaged Greenville preseason as well and have for the past three years. 

Edited by Bluegreymom
Added the word “season”

1 hour ago, Throwdeslant said:

I remember the days when Alcoa fielded teams made up mostly of kids that lived In Alcoa. Now they have kids from As far as strawberry plains and everywhere in between. Farragut has has one of if not the toughest regular season schedule and scrimmaged Central in the spring and Greeneville this summer so I don’t really know what you’re getting at. 

Farragut was in this game right until the end. Having just taken the lead, Farragut was off the field - forcing a West punt on the ensuing possession - when the muffed punt just absolutely killed Farragut’s momentum; and, it gave the West offense a second opportunity. To West’s credit, they took advantage of the turnover. You just can't give good teams additional opportunities. Dropped passes by open receivers that had big-play potential didn’t help either.

I was also disappointed that Farragut didn’t rotate more on the defensive front. I know #45 wasn’t dressed. However, why didn’t #44 play after the first series? Was he injured? I don’t recall a single DE substitution after the first or second series.

Farragut did well with the quick-hit run game. It was counter and delay action that allowed the West defensive speed to close on the C gap stuff - including the inside zone cutback where I thought West also maintained good leverage.

• Like 1

Also, there were two HORRIBLE calls that went against the Admirals on West’s first TD drive. No one has to take my word for it... watch the video. In the second quarter, On 2nd and 10 at the 8:49 mark, West is credited with a 14-yard reception. The kid ABSOLUTELY DID NOT CATCH the ball. In fact, he barely touched it! The ball can CLEARLY be seen rolling across the ground by the West players, coaches, cheerleaders, etc., on the sidelines! Later in the same drive, on 3rd and 13 at the 6;58 mark, West is credited with a reception that was DECIDEDLY OUT OF BOUNDS. I am not suggesting that these inexplicable calls decided the outcome of the game (there was still a lot of football to play and West may have converted anyway) and I know officials have a tough job; however, if a kid gets up off the field and he can’t produce a football (or even the existence of a football) within 1/4 mile of where he rests... he probably DIDN’T CATCH IT, REF! I can understand the out of bounds play a little easier, but I don't know how you award a reception without CONFIRMING the kid IS ACTUALLY IN POSSESSION OF THE BALL!

Edited by Former44
  • Like 1