Is 3a football the best class pound for pound?

crow6424

2 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Maybe so, but in my experience, after 70-80 players, the rest is just for intimidation. McGavock is the biggest HS in the state, but they've almost never been really good

That is the point. McGavock is a bad 6a team but would be very competitive in 1a just by sheer numbers, not because they have a good program.

Edited by crow6424

29 minutes ago, crow6424 said:

That is the point. McGavock is a bad 6a team but would be very competitive in 1a just by sheer numbers, not because they have a good program.

End of the day, your playing at what ifs. Alcoa is the only 3A program that regularly plays elite 6A competition, so until that happens, best thing you can do is go to C A L P R E P S and project a matchup. If 3 A was that good, Alcoa wouldn't win it every year

Edited by MidTennFootball

7 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

End of the day, your playing at what ifs. Alcoa is the only 3A program that regularly plays elite 6A competition, so until that happens, best thing you can do is go to C A L P R E P S and project a matchup. If 3 A was that good, Alcoa wouldn't win it every year

But Cal preps wouldn’t measure pound for pound only current projections which isn’t the question. It is definitely a what if.

Most objective observers in East Tennessee would see Alcoa winning championships in 5A.  If it wasn't for Maryville they would probably win 6A in the East Region.  I can't speak for the teams in middle or West Tennessee, just don't see them enough, but I remember when teams in middle tn would go undefeated and see Alcoa with one loss (Maryville) and think, "We can beat Alcoa."  Then they played the championship game, well, we all know how that turned out.   Alcoa has been, and should continue to be a top ten team in any division, they are just that consistently good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oldhick76 said:

Most objective observers in East Tennessee would see Alcoa winning championships in 5A.  If it wasn't for Maryville they would probably win 6A in the East Region.  I can't speak for the teams in middle or West Tennessee, just don't see them enough, but I remember when teams in middle tn would go undefeated and see Alcoa with one loss (Maryville) and think, "We can beat Alcoa."  Then they played the championship game, well, we all know how that turned out.   Alcoa has been, and should continue to be a top ten team in any division, they are just that consistently good.

I agree absolutely. They rule 3A with a iron fist

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

We'll talk your coach into replacing Cookeville with Oakland and let's go 

Haha

Cookeville is a good matchup for us because we are neighbors. Oakland would beat us like a drum most years.

If Oakland had a passing game they would have about 4 more championships in the last 10 years. Their defense and running game has been tops. Seen them play many times.

Edited by crow6424

39 minutes ago, crow6424 said:

Haha

Cookeville is a good matchup for us because we are neighbors. Oakland would beat us like a drum most years.

If Oakland had a passing game they would have about 4 more championships in the last 10 years. Their defense and running game has been tops. Seen them play many times.

Oh I understand completely. Big rivalries are a part of what drives HS Football.

In the the years leading up to Creasy taking over, you might be right. Creasy has shown when he has the personnel, he's got no problem slinging it around. 2026 the threw for over 3,000 yards but lost in the title so it helps, but getting past Maryville and Whitehaven, the stars have to align just right