McNairy at Westview

I figured this would be a track meet and it didn't disappoint. I thought the McNairy defense would be the one to get that one stop to win but it did not. My take on the game will be from more of the McNairy view point. I knew we had issues with our secondary, we replaced everyone from last year and are playing 2 freshmen back there. The freshmen havent been too bad but we struggle bad in the tackling department. Big key to the loss tonight. Westview has some good skill players and I'm not talking just about tackling one on one, but as a team. We had many times where we had 4 or 5 guys hit the ball carrier and not bring him down. Not wrapping up and gang tackling. Just arm tackling and throwing shoulders into them. Gave up too many big plays and plays that could have stopped the offense on these types of plays.

I didn't like the way we attacked offensively in the 1st half. Westview pretty much had everyone in the box and played Man to Man tight and press coverage on the receivers and brought the house a lot plays. We ran up middle with no success a few times and the outside with not much success a couple times. Most of our routes were quick 3 to 4 yd routes which worked into Westview favor with their coverage. We did run some plays that were deep routes that got behind the defense and we either just missed it or made a play on a couple of them. We had our most success on screens and the RB being in 1 on 1 coverage.

Down 38-21, we make huge adjustments at halftime. We come out on offense and run a 3 WR set to the left with a TE attached to the line on the right. The right side of the field had lots of space and once we got the RB in space, Westview couldn't tackle him. First two drives we run 6 or 7 plays out of this and score 2 TDs. The passing game, we start running deep routes. Two of our WRs are running by the secondary all 2nd half. Our TE is attacking the middle of the field intermediate and deep. This was there in the 1st half. Defensively, we made personnel changes in the secondary. We put our WRs in as DBs and they are a lot more athletic. This help slow down the Westview offense along with a couple penalties on a couple drives. 

Another big difference in the game, it took us until halftime to make major adjustments and it took Westview about a half quarter to a quarter to make an adjustment. Westview was killing us with their outside WR all 1st half. Seems like with our personnel  adjustment help slow that down, but Westview adjusted to it by getting a slot WR on our LB and running  a quick out route. They were running this a ton it seemed like late 3rd qtr and throughout the 4th 

It all came down to Westview defense making a play and McNairy defense didn't. McNairy had about 4 chances at an INT and couldnt make the play, Westview has one chance at an INT and they make the play to seal the game. Another note, it kills me when these kids get a dumb personal foul called on them. McNairy got two called on them after stopping Westview and 3rd and long. If not for the penalty, they probably punt the ball. Westview tackled McNairy for a loss on 2nd down that would have set up a 3rd and 13 I believe but got a personal foul that gave them an automatic 1st down. All three possessions end up going for TDs.

Thoughts on Westview. Offense is really good. They got some playmakers. A couple WRs, the RB looks good and of course the QB. I'd be interested to see them against a more athletic defense. We had opportunities to stop them but didnt make the play. We got pressure on Simpson but he was able to escape many times and either run or scramble and finally hit a WR deep downfield. I'd like to see how they handle some DBs that stay with their WRs. Not saying they will shut them down because they wont. But they will keep them in the mid 30s to low 40s. As long as the Westview defense can keep you bottled up, they play well. But, I dont think they are very good in space and they are not very good in coverage. Westview was very good in special teams. Kicker is very good, punter done a very good job and they were very good on kick return. They had two good kick returns and then took the 3rd one to the house. After that, we started squib kicking it and they did not handle those too well.

Westview is still a young team (only 8-9 seniors) so I’m pleased with where they are so far. They still have quiet a bit of work to do on defense and need to clean up some of the dumb penalties but other than that the offense and special teams are looking pretty good. Sophomore quarterback threw for 402 yards and two touchdowns, while also rushing for 66 yards and two scores last night. Junior running back rushed for 78 yards and two touchdowns, plus he caught two passes for 44 yards, and he ran back a kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown. Senior wide receiver had eight catches for 171 yards and two touchdowns. The sophomore kicker was solid as well. Then a freshman defensive back had the interception to seal the win. Will be interesting to see how they improve from here on out and how they handle the more athlete defenses.