SOUTH GREENE AT COCKE COUNTY

GCFB

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, GCFB said:

Sure, I'm not putting anyone down. It's no different than saying a teams O line is weak or a teams linebackers can't tackle or a receiver can't catch. All I'm saying is you take to head coaches that collectively have won about 10 games in last 10 years and put them together on the same team, then all of a sudden they have some success last year. It's not like they changed there coaching styles or suddenly learned how to win. They obviously had a lot of size and talent.

I disagree. Coach Verran has made a difference. I personally know that there was a serious possibility neither of the Myers boys would be at SG if we still had Jordy.  And our biggest lineman wouldn’t be playing if he was still our HC. And if I recall while Coach Verran was at ng he beat us 23-6 at ng in 2014. When NG beats us that’s something we shouldn’t ever forget. I’m not saying he’s a football god who never makes mistakes but he’s helped lead us in a direction we wouldn’t have found on our own.  He changed our offense from an air attack with soft blocking to a smash mouth  hard hitting trench dominating ground control with a side of air assault. Yes we have good players with size on OL. But Kids don’t wake up one day and just figure out how to block if they’ve never done it before. That was taught. I’m not taking anything away from them but it takes someone who works with the other coaches to get that done.  We didn’t have that before and if you’ve been around long you know what I mean.  Our leading rusher who rushed for 1000+ last yr wasn’t even a RB until Coach Verran came.  And he didn’t have 4.5 speed.  Regardless of what kind of coach Coach Verran is, he is better than what we had with Jordy.  

2 minutes ago, RebRebReb said:

I disagree. Coach Verran has made a difference. I personally know that there was a serious possibility neither of the Myers boys would be at SG if we still had Jordy.  And our biggest lineman wouldn’t be playing if he was still our HC. And if I recall while Coach Verran was at ng he beat us 23-6 at ng in 2014. When NG beats us that’s something we shouldn’t ever forget. I’m not saying he’s a football god who never makes mistakes but he’s helped lead us in a direction we wouldn’t have found on our own.  He changed our offense from an air attack with soft blocking to a smash mouth  hard hitting trench dominating ground control with a side of air assault. Yes we have good players with size on OL. But Kids don’t wake up one day and just figure out how to block if they’ve never done it before. That was taught. I’m not taking anything away from them but it takes someone who works with the other coaches to get that done.  We didn’t have that before and if you’ve been around long you know what I mean.  Our leading rusher who rushed for 1000+ last yr wasn’t even a RB until Coach Verran came.  And he didn’t have 4.5 speed.  Regardless of what kind of coach Coach Verran is, he is better than what we had with Jordy.  

I'm SURE that's the truth! And Scotty is good....But you should have seen that sucker carry the rock in high school!

Just now, RebRebReb said:

Wish I could’ve seen that. One of the guys from SG who played against him said Coach Ricker’s defense didn’t prepare for HV they just prepared for SV. LOL

Riker was a hard nosed type of guy, loved playing against his teams back in the day. Think we beat um every time but it was always a WAR.

4 minutes ago, pujo said:

Riker was a hard nosed type of guy, loved playing against his teams back in the day. Think we beat um every time but it was always a WAR.

Coach Larry Ricker and Coach Chris Ricker were two of the best on the football field and the hardwood.  Hard nosed is an understatement. What years did you play?

Edited by RebRebReb

Just now, RebRebReb said:

Coach Larry Ricker and Coach Chris Ricker were two of the best on the football field and the hardwood.  Hard nosed is an understatement. What years did you play?

Wasn't me playing, I was just a Cloudland fan. My brother was the head coach. Cloudland was a couple of handsful in those days. And Yes Ricker was a goodun.

36 minutes ago, RebRebReb said:

I agree, RebRebReb.  It’s true, some of our players would probably not still be at SG if Coach Verran wasn’t there.   Not taking anything away from the players, but it takes a smart coach to put it all together to form a really good team.  That didn’t happen at SG when Jordy was there. Yes, we have a ways to go to be great, but thanks to Coach Verran, we are definitely headed in the right direction.

I'm not saying the SG coaches are bad coaches, and I for sure never compared them to any previous coaches. I'm only saying that every chain has a weekest link, and that compared to the other top teams in region 1-2A SG's weakest link might be on the side line. To try an reiterate what in saying before somebody gets there feelings hurt! Is that just like it is okay to say one teams QB might be better than another teams or one teams D- line might be better than another teams. It is also okay to say one teams coaching staff might be better than another teams.

Since I got everyone all torn up and off topic. My apologies, and I'll try to bring it back around.

I'd like to see SG make it a game, and if they have a chance to win that they capitalize on it. Most importantly I hope they all come out in good shape ready to make the milk can game a good one.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:11 PM, GCFB said:

Sure, I'm not putting anyone down. It's no different than saying a teams O line is weak or a teams linebackers can't tackle or a receiver can't catch. All I'm saying is you take to head coaches that collectively have won about 10 games in last 10 years and put them together on the same team, then all of a sudden they have some success last year. It's not like they changed there coaching styles or suddenly learned how to win. They obviously had a lot of size and talent.

not so sure about that.  new offense and a new defense skeem but your right better players.

wing tee & stack 3 5 3 defense is what they went with.