Greene Devils verses the Sullivan South Rebels

noonesfool

2 hours ago, BlueDevil58 said:

This will be closer than people think.  South is huge up front on both sides of the ball and I think they have the advantage against Greeneville on the ground because of that--Greneville is not nearly as good up front as they have been.

Both teams are fairly one dimensional, with South getting the edge on the ground due to that big OL.  South has no passing game, but Greeneville's passing attack isn't the same without Cade Ballard throwing the ball--the difference is that Greeneville still has athletes everywhere who can score from anywhere when they get a crease.

My prediction is that South comes out and successfully plays 3 yards and a cloud of dust, and shortens the game, keeping it from getting out of hand until the 4th.  A healthy Reed could be a difference maker, but South's backups RB is decent.  Meanwhile, Greeneville has a habit of coming out flat and making mistakes in the first half that get them in a hole against average teams.

I look for those Greeneville athletes to be the big difference, limiting South to few explosive offensive plays while ripping off a bunch of their own when they get in the open field.

42-21 Greeneville.

Boone beat SS and Boone Coach, Coach Jenkins in the Press Chronicle said they had no answer for Greeneville’s front on either side of the ball.

3 hours ago, BlueDevil58 said:

This will be closer than people think.  South is huge up front on both sides of the ball and I think they have the advantage against Greeneville on the ground because of that--Greneville is not nearly as good up front as they have been.

Both teams are fairly one dimensional, with South getting the edge on the ground due to that big OL.  South has no passing game, but Greeneville's passing attack isn't the same without Cade Ballard throwing the ball--the difference is that Greeneville still has athletes everywhere who can score from anywhere when they get a crease.

My prediction is that South comes out and successfully plays 3 yards and a cloud of dust, and shortens the game, keeping it from getting out of hand until the 4th.  A healthy Reed could be a difference maker, but South's backups RB is decent.  Meanwhile, Greeneville has a habit of coming out flat and making mistakes in the first half that get them in a hole against average teams.

I look for those Greeneville athletes to be the big difference, limiting South to few explosive offensive plays while ripping off a bunch of their own when they get in the open field.

42-21 Greeneville.

BlueDevil58, where did you get the dominate thought. I looked at Hudle for a 1/2 an hour and saw large linemen sometimes struggling with their blocks. Boone dominated them up front. SS is a 5 and 5 football team this year.

large is not a requirement in HS football. GHS’s second best O lineman last year, weighed 190 and was a beast. He was a 3 time state wrestling champion at 182lbs. and is now wrestling collegiately. If your big fine, but being an athlete is better. And if your athletic and big well.......

Edited by noonesfool

8 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

BlueDevil58, where did you get the dominate thought. I looked at Hudle for a 1/2 an hour and saw large lineman sometimes struggling with their blocks. Boone dominated them up front. SS is a 5 and 5 football team this year.

large is not a requirement in HS football. GHS’s second best O lineman last year, weighed 190 and was a beast. He was a 3 time state wrestling champion at 182lbs. and is now wrestling collegiately. If your big fine, but being an athlete is better. And if your athletic and big well.......

Right on.    The world's fastest men do NOT play in the NFL.    The world's strongest men do NOT play in the NFL.   The world's biggest men (muscular) do NOT play in the NFL.     Speed, size, strength.... all very important in football, but ultimately you have to be a good athlete, as you so eloquently pointed out.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, noonesfool said:

BlueDevil58, where did you get the dominate thought. I looked at Hudle for a 1/2 an hour and saw large linemen sometimes struggling with their blocks. Boone dominated them up front. SS is a 5 and 5 football team this year.

Where did I ever say "dominate?"  I didn't.

I simply think they can handle Greeneville up front well enough to run the ball with consistently and milk the clock.  I don't think South wins this game.  I just think they milk the clock enough to hang around longer and keep it closer than people are expecting.  Greeneville won't have time to score 70 on them because South's going to have several 5 minute drives in there.

I also don't think you have to be big to be a good OL.  Plenty of big fat guys can't move or block.  Plenty of small, strong kids get moved from FB or LB and turn out good.  One of my own teammates in HS was our C who dominated a Parade All American NT in 3 separate meetings at just 190lbs and the LG beside him was our second best OL at just 180lbs--he was a converted FB who squatted over 500lbs.  You're preaching to the choir on that.  South's OL are both strong and big.

I'm basing what I said about Greeneville from what I'm told about the Sullivan Central game.  Central is tiny up front but I've heard their OL handled Greeneville's starting front 4 pretty well except for a couple of missed blocks.

19 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

I simply think they can handle Greeneville up front well enough to run the ball with consistently and milk the clock.  I don't think South wins this game.  I just think they milk the clock enough to hang around longer and keep it closer than people are expecting.  Greeneville won't have time to score 70 on them because South's going to have several 5 minute drives in there.

I also don't think you have to be big to be a good OL.  Plenty of big fat guys can't move or block.  Plenty of small, strong kids get moved from FB or LB and turn out good.  One of my own teammates in HS was our C who dominated a Parade All American NT in 3 separate meetings at just 190lbs and the LG beside him was our second best OL at just 180lbs--he was a converted FB who squatted over 500lbs.  You're preaching to the choir on that.  South's OL are both strong and big.

I'm basing what I said about Greeneville from what I'm told about the Sullivan Central game.  Central is tiny up front but I've heard their OL handled Greeneville's starting front 4 pretty well except for a couple of missed blocks.

When you say advantage over a very good front I would take that as dominate or maybe a better word control. Goodness according to your source Central highly dominated the line of scrimmage against GHS in their 70-6 loss. Except for couple of blocks.

glad you are another believer in the tough fast athletic lineman. You are right on.

Edited by noonesfool

20 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

You lost me at your last 2 sentences.  Greeneville Returned 2 DT starters but lost both DE (Their replacements have done a good job so far).  Central OL handled Greeneville starting 4 pretty well?  Stats say other wise with the starters coming out half way through the 2nd quarter and held Central to 97 total yards in the first half and only 30 yards coming on the ground on 24 carries is a far cry from handling anyone:popcorneater:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

You lost me at your last 2 sentences.  Greeneville Returned 2 DT starters but lost both DE (Their replacements have done a good job so far).  Central OL handled Greeneville starting 4 pretty well?  Stats say other wise with the starters coming out half way through the 2nd quarter and held Central to 97 total yards in the first half and only 30 yards coming on the ground on 24 carries is a far cry from handling anyone:popcorneater:

Went back and looked at Central and GHS on Hudle. It was very ugly for Central upfront. Huge holes.

27 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Went back and looked at Central and GHS on Hudle. It was very ugly for Central upfront. Huge holes.

Sounds like BlueDevil58  needs to find a new source :lol:.  I've never seen a team get beat 70-6 and think they handled a D line pretty well and only have the ball for 12:57 of the game to put up those 70 points

Edited by Swipes

On 10/9/2019 at 8:24 AM, WaCoJaCo said:

Is South's running back still on the injured list? He's a difference maker.

I do believe Julian is out for tomorrow, my son came home yesterday and like any 16 year old , it is hard to get any answers out of him, but he said more than likely.

On 10/9/2019 at 2:09 PM, noonesfool said:

Boone beat SS and Boone Coach, Coach Jenkins in the Press Chronicle said they had no answer for Greeneville’s front on either side of the ball.

Boone would have beat a lot of teams this year or played with them, 90 percent of there offense went out right after that game.