Avoiding another Fayetteville

Indian

1 hour ago, Salem said:

No way more rules will help this situation. Only way to eliminate this is to either:

1. All transfers must sit out 12 months or

2. All transfers are immediately eligible. 

3. Compromise. Every athlete gets one free transfer after 9th grade begins. He/she is immediately eligible at new school. All subsequent transfers must wait 12 months no matter the reason - no exceptions. 

#3!

1 hour ago, Indian said:

Mix would be roughly 1-450, 450 to 800, 800-1300. Only a few rural above that and they'd have to go with the urban schools, if they have 1500 to 2000 students and aren't successful it's on them. 

What would be your definition of rural?  people per sq mile?  Also you can't say well your rural by definition but since you have over 1,300 students you not rural....has to be more clear cut.

Edited by Swipes

Reason for cutting off the top rural class at 1,300 would be the size difference between those schools and the smallest in the "3A" class. Can't have a Warren County at 2,000 with schools with 800. 

State listings mostly on the definitions. Looking at it very quickly, likely would be Shelby, Madison, Montgomery, Sumner, Davidson, Williamson, Wilson, Rutherford, Hamilton, Bradley, Anderson, Knox, Blount, Hamblen, Sullivan, Washington, Carter county schools. 

The reason these would be separated, with open transfers, would be the greater access to more student athletes. You could look at it further and classify schools in the far reaches of the counties as rural, possibly. Some counties have large urban sections but do have some scattered rural spots, some are all rural. 

"Even though most of the state’s 95 counties remain largely rural, only about a third of Tennessee’s total population is rural, decreasing slightly from about 36.4% of the state total in 2000 to 33.6% in 2010." 

Tennessee.gov stats and figures. 

21 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

How does this avoid another Fayetteville though? Schools still have designated school distrcts and this kid didn't live in them? Some of these rule changes are interesting but I'm not seeing the connection

I may have ready the article wrong but i believe this particular issue stems from Fayetteville High being open to anyone inside the county but only provides transportation to students within the city limits. The TSSAA establishes the zone as where bus routes are provided for the school and the kid lived outside the city limits. 

If it's trully how I explained it and understand it, i'm surprised other schools/students haven't had issues as well. I know there are several counties or school systems with Open Enrollment but not sure how they provide transportation for those areas. 

Honestly thankful to live in a one horse town where we will never experience this problem. 

Edited by BCB~MVP

1 minute ago, BCB~MVP said:

I may have ready the article wrong but i believe this particular issue stems from Fayetteville High being open to anyone inside the county but only provides transportation to students within the city limits. The TSSAA establishes the zone as where bus routes are provided for the school and the kid lived outside the city limits. 

If it's trully how I explained it and understand it, i'm surprised other schools/students haven't issues as well. I know there are several counties or school systems with Open Enrollment but not sure how they provide transportation for those areas. 

Honestly thankful to live in a one horse town where we will never experience this problem. 

From what I understood the kid lived outside of Fayetteville city limits and only kids inside city limits could enroll. 

7 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

From what I understood the kid lived outside of Fayetteville city limits and only kids inside city limits could enroll. 

I pulled this from one of the articles in The Tennessean.

"The TSSAA's bylaws define a public school's territory as the "geographic boundaries and bus routes of the area served by that school as established by the local board of education," according to the letter.

Fayetteville city director of schools Janine Wilson wrote on Oct. 21 to the TSSAA that, under Fayetteville city school board policy, the board recognizes the lines of Lincoln County to be the defined territory and geographic area that the system serves.

However, the TSSAA reviewed the school system's website and wrote that according to the site, attendance at Fayetteville High School is open to all Lincoln County residents, but transportation is only provided by students in the Fayetteville city limits.

The athlete was eligible to attend Lincoln County High School. "

From this i take it that the TSSAA may need to review their policy. If the District allows for students to live anywhere in the county, who cares if the bus drives past the house. Just my opinion though. 

On 10/31/2019 at 2:58 PM, Indian said:

Reason for cutting off the top rural class at 1,300 would be the size difference between those schools and the smallest in the "3A" class. Can't have a Warren County at 2,000 with schools with 800. 

State listings mostly on the definitions. Looking at it very quickly, likely would be Shelby, Madison, Montgomery, Sumner, Davidson, Williamson, Wilson, Rutherford, Hamilton, Bradley, Anderson, Knox, Blount, Hamblen, Sullivan, Washington, Carter county schools. 

The reason these would be separated, with open transfers, would be the greater access to more student athletes. You could look at it further and classify schools in the far reaches of the counties as rural, possibly. Some counties have large urban sections but do have some scattered rural spots, some are all rural. 

"Even though most of the state’s 95 counties remain largely rural, only about a third of Tennessee’s total population is rural, decreasing slightly from about 36.4% of the state total in 2000 to 33.6% in 2010." 

Tennessee.gov stats and figures. 

I don't see how Anderson County or Carter County would even be close to non rural if you have been to either counties. (Oak Ridge has its own system outside the Anderson County System and so does Elizabthton  outside of Carter Co School Board).  Carter Co schools are Hampton, Unaka, Happy Valley, and Cloudland (All 1a or 2a schools).  Anderson Co schools are Anderson County and Clinton.  Big difference in Anderson and Carter Co compared to the other's you listed above.

My point was you can't say it's a rural split and then leave out one county high schools that would classify as Rural by all other definition just because they have 2,000 kids.  You would just keep it the same that it is right now and do it by school population

11 minutes ago, BCB~MVP said:

I pulled this from one of the articles in The Tennessean.

"The TSSAA's bylaws define a public school's territory as the "geographic boundaries and bus routes of the area served by that school as established by the local board of education," according to the letter.

Fayetteville city director of schools Janine Wilson wrote on Oct. 21 to the TSSAA that, under Fayetteville city school board policy, the board recognizes the lines of Lincoln County to be the defined territory and geographic area that the system serves.

However, the TSSAA reviewed the school system's website and wrote that according to the site, attendance at Fayetteville High School is open to all Lincoln County residents, but transportation is only provided by students in the Fayetteville city limits.

The athlete was eligible to attend Lincoln County High School. "

From this i take it that the TSSAA may need to review their policy. If the District allows for students to live anywhere in the county, who cares if the bus drives past the house. Just my opinion though. 

It's the exact some way in a lot of counties that are classified as open zoned.  Greeneville is the same way.  School buses run just in the city limits but students can apply and if accepted can attend the school but have to provide their own transportation.  Greene Co school system are open zoned also and can apply to transfer to another county high school.  You would still have to provide your own transportation since the bus that runs to your house doesn't go to the high school you have been accepted to transfer to.