Alcoa Tornadoes - Sam Vaulton

BCsportsfan

19 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

If Rutherford County built a high school and combined Oakland, Blackman, Siegel, Stewarts Creek, LaVergne, Smyrna, and Rockvale it would be interesting to see how a Mega-High School with 10-15 thousand kids would compete on a national level.  

Blount County just isn't big enough numbers/size-wise.  Alcoa is great.  Maryville is great.  In the realm of Tennessee High School Football they are the two greatest programs in the state's history and that is a fact that cannot be disputed.  

What???

9 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

Numbers definitely help, but what I think is lost is the fact that they are system feeder schools, especially in Fl & TX.  Kids have been running the same schemes since elementary school.  I remember when I moved to TX and my son was playing football in 3rd grade.  I debated with a parent on why we were running the gun and that the lineman couldn’t line up in a 3-pt stance since they only practiced the 2-pt stance.  To the other parents defense, he was right because we tossed the pill a lot....just like the rest of the league.  That may be why the QBs get an early jump.

Larger schools may seem attractive for numbers, but more numbers means more parents. More parents means more politics, especially with the tryouts to make the teams.  Talent wise, TN stacks with best of them when you consider that the Dallas metroplex, and the Houston area each have the population of TN.

Didn't realize they had tryouts and cut kids from hs football teams 

From any state

• Upvote 1

On 4/20/2020 at 9:28 PM, howdoitknow said:

If Rutherford County built a high school and combined Oakland, Blackman, Siegel, Stewarts Creek, LaVergne, Smyrna, and Rockvale it would be interesting to see how a Mega-High School with 10-15 thousand kids would compete on a national level.  

Blount County just isn't big enough numbers/size-wise.  Alcoa is great.  Maryville is great.  In the realm of Tennessee High School Football they are the two greatest programs in the state's history and that is a fact that cannot be disputed.  

I never thought about it like that and it makes me wonder now. Why do we need so many HS in a county?

On 4/21/2020 at 5:19 PM, TornadoLeadRecruiter said:

Didn't realize they had tryouts and cut kids from hs football teams 

From any state

Learned this about 3 years ago when having a debate about youth football. Those same states purple mentioned also dont play with age groups. It's how much you weight in most parts.

9 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

I never thought about it like that and it makes me wonder now. Why do we need so many HS in a county?

Could you imagine if Pearl-Cohn, Maplewood, Stratford, Whites Creek, East Nashville, Hume Fogg, Hillwood, Hillsboro, Hunters Lane, Glencliff, Cane Ridge, Antioch, Overton, McGavock, MLK, etc. were one super-sized public high school?  They could play their games at Dudley Field and look like an SEC team walking on the field every Friday night.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Could you imagine if Pearl-Cohn, Maplewood, Stratford, Whites Creek, East Nashville, Hume Fogg, Hillwood, Hillsboro, Hunters Lane, Glencliff, Cane Ridge, Antioch, Overton, McGavock, MLK, etc. were one super-sized public high school?  They could play their games at Dudley Field and look like an SEC team walking on the field every Friday night.  

Schools in Tx run between 4000-5500 at the highest level. 
what schools are closest to PC that would add up to about 5000

Look at blount count schools

alcoa - 650

maryville - 1750

william blount - 1800

heritage - 1600

if we pulled Greenback from Loudon county they have about 250 kids
you could add alls these together and not be as big as Allen Tx hs

thats crazy to me. Oh we could compete with any school anywhere with alcoa and Maryville combined by the way

Ga-Tx-Fl-Ca

2 hours ago, TornadoLeadRecruiter said:

Schools in Tx run between 4000-5500 at the highest level. 
what schools are closest to PC that would add up to about 5000

Look at blount count schools

alcoa - 650

maryville - 1750

william blount - 1800

heritage - 1600

if we pulled Greenback from Loudon county they have about 250 kids
you could add alls these together and not be as big as Allen Tx hs

thats crazy to me. Oh we could compete with any school anywhere with alcoa and Maryville combined by the way

Ga-Tx-Fl-Ca

Well Texas is the I believe 2nd largest state population wise in the union. They have a lot of people and Texas lives for football. As for Georgia imo they just have a great quality of ball. Marietta the 7A champ has about 2500 kids enrolled and they could play with anyone. To go further, my mom's high school in Illinois has about 3500-4000 kids any given year and I wholeheartedly believe Alcoa or Maryville would house them home away or neutral field. Personally I don't believe enrollment is the end all be all. Coaching culture and money invested into athletic programs have way more to do with a teams toughness and success. That's one reason I would love to see Alcoa move up. Not knocking Alcoa at all but y'all know every single year you're about to win 3A. You have to get up and really play your butts off about 3 games a year and that's the best ball y'all play imo. I couldn't imagine how good y'all would be if you had to get up like that 7-8 games a year plus playoffs. Competition breeds success, it's true in a locker room and it holds true to scheduling. That's another reason Georgia Florida TX Cali are top notch, they rarely just know they'll show up and roll

6 hours ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Well Texas is the I believe 2nd largest state population wise in the union. They have a lot of people and Texas lives for football. As for Georgia imo they just have a great quality of ball. Marietta the 7A champ has about 2500 kids enrolled and they could play with anyone. To go further, my mom's high school in Illinois has about 3500-4000 kids any given year and I wholeheartedly believe Alcoa or Maryville would house them home away or neutral field. Personally I don't believe enrollment is the end all be all. Coaching culture and money invested into athletic programs have way more to do with a teams toughness and success. That's one reason I would love to see Alcoa move up. Not knocking Alcoa at all but y'all know every single year you're about to win 3A. You have to get up and really play your butts off about 3 games a year and that's the best ball y'all play imo. I couldn't imagine how good y'all would be if you had to get up like that 7-8 games a year plus playoffs. Competition breeds success, it's true in a locker room and it holds true to scheduling. That's another reason Georgia Florida TX Cali are top notch, they rarely just know they'll show up and roll

Let me ask you a questions. How many tough games does Murvall have per season?

Where the clock doesn’t run in the 3rd qt

2-3 maybe

On 4/27/2020 at 11:02 PM, TornadoLeadRecruiter said:

Let me ask you a questions. How many tough games does Murvall have per season?

Where the clock doesn’t run in the 3rd qt

2-3 maybe

Well they can't move up lol and Marivul could easily seek some tough out of state competition but we both know that's not happening

11 hours ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Well they can't move up lol and Marivul could easily seek some tough out of state competition but we both know that's not happening

My point which I’m sure you know that i was going to make in turn caused you to say the same crap that most people that wish they won like Maryville and Alcoa make every time

Alcoa should move up -
if we did we would only have about 3-4 non running clocks just like we do now

Murvall should play out of state competition - cut the check for them. I’m sure they would

same Old crap Every time

oh the yrs Alcoa beat M we hear - well they should go outta state and play Hoover or some team in Ga and just see what happens. SMH

Let's look at this for a moment:

Maryville won the State Championship in 6A football last year.  On their way to the State Championship the only team that played them competitively was Oakland.  In recent years Oakland has been Maryville's most difficult challenger in the Semifinals of the playoffs.  Oakland's top challenger in their Quadrant of the playoff bracket has been Blackman.  That's who they had to beat last year in the Quarterfinals. Those two schools have met in the playoffs in 2019, 2017, 2014, and 2013 with Oakland being 3-1 against Blackman.   

Maryville is in the Eastern region of the state obviously.  Their final obstacle more years than not in 6A in the Eastern Quadrant of the state is going to be Dobyns-Bennett.  That was the case in last year's Quarterfinals as well.  

So last year in the Eastern Quadrant of the Class 6A State Playoffs the 4 top schools were Maryville, Oakland, Blackman, and Dobyns-Bennett.  

Class 3A Alcoa played:

Blackman (W:  23-14)

Dobyns-Bennett (W:  21-6)

Maryville (L:  3-17)

With the exception of Oakland the facts are that Alcoa played the other 3 Top Teams on what would be their half of the Bracket in Class 6A.  The supposed argument of Alcoa "not challenging themselves by playing top competition" is simply inaccurate.  History will show that I'm not an Alcoa fan.  I'm not going to knock them for who they've played either though because honestly some of the teams that they've beaten through the years would have won State Championships in other classifications.