Covington @ SS --- SGC @ Wooddale

Jokur

20 minutes ago, Jokur said:

My alma mater isnt mentioned in this so the ACT thing is a stupid subject.  Are you trying to call SS players stupid by bringing it up?

SGC has teams playing together from the time they are 6 years old and up and still can't win in ANY sport in the postseason.  

A lot of people move to South Gibson to escape the education and reputation of Jackson public schools. And this is an opinion from an outsider looking in. 

2 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Thanks for your kind words about SGC Jokur. I appreciate it. Speaking of private schools would you like to compare ACT scores from your high school to SGC? I certainly wouldn't mind taking a look at them. I take pride in the fact that we are educating kids to be productive members of society. Also, we do not need to save any money. SGC is going to go give Wooddale our best shot. We gave them a game last year and expect we will do the same again this year. That is the spirit of competition. I think our boys have that competitive drive to play hard regardless of who the opponent is. Thanks again for your kind words.

Hold on, I just looked up the ACT scores.  I thought it was going to be a great number. 21.9!???!!?  With all of those high income families?  Are we sure y'all are doing a great job?  There is a direct correlation between household income and educational performance and that does not appear to be a great score for that area.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jokur said:

My alma mater isnt mentioned in this so the ACT thing is a stupid subject.  Are you trying to call SS players stupid by bringing it up?

SGC has teams playing together from the time they are 6 years old and up and still can't win in ANY sport in the postseason.  

Well sir, your original post was stupid and low class. It is stupid to say something like that about kids. These boys have busted their tails to be the best team they could be and have played with class and sportsmanship at every turn. I do not appreciate it when someone hides behind the internet with the keyboard cowboy mentality, and spits trash about a great group of young men. 

Did I call any of them stupid? Think not. Read the post again. 

And SGC is a public school with problems and challenges like other public schools, but we must be doing pretty good because there is a line of people waiting to get in the doors every single year. 

Also, your ignorant comment about not winning in the postseason in " ANY " sport. Fun fact for you.... SGC went on the road and beat Wooddale of all schools in the first round of the playoffs in the 18/19 year. O yea, I forgot to mention Wooddale was the 1 seed with home field advantage and SGC was the 4 seed. 

Now, lets move on talk about positive things like the good brand of BBall that is being played by our West TN teams. I wish the hawks and all of our West TN teams luck moving forward. 

2 hours ago, JacksonSportsFan07 said:

I thought this was about basketball, but since you went there.  Yeah I will compare ACT scores apples to apples.  SGC is at the national average (21), with the demographics that they have, it isn't anything special.  You do not have the same kids that these schools have.  There are kids at these schools that can compete academically with the best at SGC.  Meanwhile the private schools in the area have similar demographics and their average ACT scores are closer to 30.  SGC is a good school, but they have the luxury of having their demographics.  I really do think SGC is a good school, but it really makes me mad when you want to come at other schools in the area.  Look at what you got at SGC and what the other schools are working with.  Every decent person in education takes pride in what they do and wants to produce good productive members of society.  Yes SGC should make the trip and I hope they give them heck and win.  I wish the best of luck to both teams out of Region 7AA.  I want West TN to dominate every sport.  

Welcome to CoachT, who's your school that you're representing?

4 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Thanks for your kind words about SGC Jokur. I appreciate it. Speaking of private schools would you like to compare ACT scores from your high school to SGC? I certainly wouldn't mind taking a look at them. I take pride in the fact that we are educating kids to be productive members of society. Also, we do not need to save any money. SGC is going to go give Wooddale our best shot. We gave them a game last year and expect we will do the same again this year. That is the spirit of competition. I think our boys have that competitive drive to play hard regardless of who the opponent is. Thanks again for your kind words.

2 hours ago, JacksonSportsFan07 said:

I thought this was about basketball, but since you went there.  Yeah I will compare ACT scores apples to apples.  SGC is at the national average (21), with the demographics that they have, it isn't anything special.  You do not have the same kids that these schools have.  There are kids at these schools that can compete academically with the best at SGC.  Meanwhile the private schools in the area have similar demographics and their average ACT scores are closer to 30.  SGC is a good school, but they have the luxury of having their demographics.  I really do think SGC is a good school, but it really makes me mad when you want to come at other schools in the area.  Look at what you got at SGC and what the other schools are working with.  Every decent person in education takes pride in what they do and wants to produce good productive members of society.  Yes SGC should make the trip and I hope they give them heck and win.  I wish the best of luck to both teams out of Region 7AA.  I want West TN to dominate every sport.  

Hey, rook (@JacksonSportsFan07) please tell me what school that @ManOfMillions mentioned other than South Gibson? I'll be waiting 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Well sir, your original post was stupid and low class. It is stupid to say something like that about kids. These boys have busted their tails to be the best team they could be and have played with class and sportsmanship at every turn. I do not appreciate it when someone hides behind the internet with the keyboard cowboy mentality, and spits trash about a great group of young men. 

Did I call any of them stupid? Think not. Read the post again. 

And SGC is a public school with problems and challenges like other public schools, but we must be doing pretty good because there is a line of people waiting to get in the doors every single year. 

Also, your ignorant comment about not winning in the postseason in " ANY " sport. Fun fact for you.... SGC went on the road and beat Wooddale of all schools in the first round of the playoffs in the 18/19 year. O yea, I forgot to mention Wooddale was the 1 seed with home field advantage and SGC was the 4 seed. 

Now, lets move on talk about positive things like the good brand of BBall that is being played by our West TN teams. I wish the hawks and all of our West TN teams luck moving forward. 

LOL my original post was low class? By saying you should save your $ so you can afford that private school you so desperately aspire to be? Hit a nerve didn’t I? We’re talking ball and you bring up ACT scores. What else were you trying to get across?

oh and congrats on beating an inner city Memphis team in the playoffs. To think that doesn’t happen often in class 1A-4A is comical. SGC is known for choking in the postseason. 

Baseball? Choke.

Football? Choke.

basketball is a non factor to make it to state unless they somehow get aligned with middle Tennessee in substate matchups one day.

but let’s get back to the ACT talk, isn’t that what the CoachT SPORTS forums are for? Ha!!!

3 hours ago, Jokur said:

In looking back in ManofMillions post Indont see where he mentioned South Side. Maybe I’m missing something.....

35 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

In looking back in ManofMillions post Indont see where he mentioned South Side. Maybe I’m missing something.....

I mean it’s a COV-SS / SGC-Wooddale thread. Who else was he talking about when he said “your school” after I made the post claiming they’d get bounced easily lol.

ACT scores are irrelevant here regardless. He was stating that someone’s school (Won’t say which school) isn’t as smart as his (SGC).

bottom line is a 21 ACT isn’t exactly knocking it out of the ballpark when you’re teaching kids who have access to everything needed at school and home and whose families are bringing in $125K+ a year. We can pull up a state wide statistic and see how relatively low that score is for enrollment poverty levels 

2 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Hey, rook (@JacksonSportsFan07) please tell me what school that @ManOfMillions mentioned other than South Gibson? I'll be waiting 

What’s the name of the thread? He wants to compare SGC to Covington, Wooddale, and SS. I got on here to see what people were saying about the sub-state games and I see someone wanting to run down the other schools because he’s obviously upset his team got beat. He wants to bring up ACT score but like I said apples to apples they are far from impressive. I’m not representing any school. I care about him running down kids he doesn’t know by claiming they have lower ACT scores.  I just want to set the record straight. Boasting an average ACT score to sound superior is laughable. Germantown has a similar demographic for a public school and their ACT score average around a 26. Again, it’s basketball. Not who has the best ACT score in the thread. But hey maybe that should be SGC’s slogan when they lose. At least we have an average ACT score. 

2 hours ago, Jokur said:

I mean it’s a COV-SS / SGC-Wooddale thread. Who else was he talking about when he said “your school” after I made the post claiming they’d get bounced easily lol.

ACT scores are irrelevant here regardless. He was stating that someone’s school (Won’t say which school) isn’t as smart as his (SGC).

bottom line is a 21 ACT isn’t exactly knocking it out of the ballpark when you’re teaching kids who have access to everything needed at school and home and whose families are bringing in $125K+ a year. We can pull up a state wide statistic and see how relatively low that score is for enrollment poverty levels 

No need to look up statistics. And not sure what the ACT avg is at SGC but I can tell you that a school avg 21 on the ACT would put them in the top 20% in the state. However you are correct it is not necessarily relevant here. My only point is that he didn’t mention South Side. You can’t assume he meant them just because of the thread title.