NCS at USJ

Bellsburg2

This week 1 region battle provides a rematch of last year's state semifinal game. The Bruins won the last meeting 28-7 after losing a close one at home to the Eagles in the season 28-27. USJ was scheduled to travel to Bellevue this year, but due to current restrictions in the midstate, they requested to travel to Jackson for the game. I would expect both teams to come out a little rusty with the lack of scrimmages and jamborees this year.

NCS lost some talent on both sides of the ball, but should return a lot of experience in the trenches and a good amount of their offensive production. USJ will be strong up front on both sides of the ball and I would expect the battle on the line of scrimmage to dictate the ballgame. Andrew Smith will be the clear starter at QB after gaining some valuable experience starting a handful of games each of the last 2 seasons, but he will be looking at several new targets as the Bruins replace nearly all of their skill player production from 2019. Senior transfer Myles Mayo could be an upgrade at tailback. Steele Haynes and Tyke Tabor, both impact players on the defensive side last year, look to make a difference on offense as potential targets for Smith. 

Crowd limitations and other protocols may temper the environment a bit, but I know I'm ready to watch some Friday night football. Overall, I am expecting a fairly low-scoring and probably ugly football game. I may get brave enough to make a score prediction later in the week, but I'll leave it at that for now.

USJ defense will force a lot of turnovers this game.   It may be the key to success in this practice shortened pre season.   If they roll in D players to keep fresh, USJ will pull away in the 4th.   If they don't, then will come down to last possession like last years regular season game. 

6 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

I know that this game was originally supposed to be played in Nashville. Did it get moved to Jackson because of the China virus and any possible restrictions in the Nashville area?

yes, can't have crowds of over 25 people.  No football games in Davidson County week one

Weather may be iffy for Friday night. Current forecast has high chances of rain throughout the day that seem to clear up a little before game time. If that forecast holds, might just be a good night for football (and not even feel like August).

Kickoff at 7:00, gates open at 6:00 and lock at 7:30.

Home seats are sold out but they did have some SRO tix left over. Hoping NCS fills their allotment and we should have a decent (spaced and masked) crowd on hand.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:47 PM, Bellsburg2 said:

Weather may be iffy for Friday night. Current forecast has high chances of rain throughout the day that seem to clear up a little before game time. If that forecast holds, might just be a good night for football (and not even feel like August).

Home seats are sold out but they did have some SRO tix left over. Hoping NCS fills their allotment and we should have a decent (spaced and masked) crowd on hand.

Prayers for a safe and spirited contest!

On 8/19/2020 at 11:47 PM, Bellsburg2 said:

I hope that "clear up a little before game time" comes trues. There's some pretty significant rain out there right now. 

A few sprinkles early but turned into a beautiful night for football. Defenses dominated early until USJ pushed NCS back for a safety, then responded quickly with a TD on the resulting possession. The Bruins' front 7 set up camp in the NCS backfield most of the night, disrupting much of their game plan and forcing 3 INTs on the night. USJ was balanced on offense, moving the ball fairly well all night. Both teams added a late TD with the final score USJ 30, NCS 7. As is the case with most games, turnovers and winning the LOS was the difference.