Admirulls att 825

STARSNBARS

14 hours ago, pepvol said:

EXACTLY !! I thought we got hosed several times so if one call went our way I don't understand being embarrassed by anything . The Farragut DB's were definitely trying to get by with as much as possible and twice hit the receiver before the ball got there . 

I remember 2009 very well , never saw so much crying about the refs in my life ! The Game was at Farragut !! Nothing against you Former44 , you're a credit to Farragut and a very classy guy , hope we meet again in the Playoffs !

Thank you. I hope we can keep up our end of the deal. I think the next three games will go a long way toward determining our playoff fate.

I think there were some positive things for the Farragut kids to take away from the game. I hope they will try to build on those things get better.

As far as the Mark Packer thing, I have never been a fan. I have listened to him denigrate high school kids and judge them comparatively as though they were professional athletes with $140 million no-cut contracts. I muted him for good when he commented about a kid, "Well, he is certainly no… so and so!", and he made the comment on a broadcast for the kid's family, friends, teammates and classmates at school to hear.

There is no question that Packer has done a great deal to promote local high school programs and student/athletes; however, in my opinion, this is largely incidental. I think Mark Packer's primary objective is self-promotion and self glorification. After all, Mark Packer is the play-by-play guy, but he doesn't have to be. He could assign someone to the play-by-play position that actually has a modicum of talent for the trade, which he decidedly does not ( I suppose I wouldn't have a problem if he wanted to stand out in the rain and do the sideline interviews and play cornhole). He could still be a benefactor without the unabated need for personal recognition. However, he fancies himself, I believe, as the next Musburger; only, nobody else does, so these high school games are his only outlet. 

I can't speak for everyone, but this is one Farragut fan who has no use for him in the play-by-play role.

Edited by Former44
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Packer has a steep hill to climb now,  He made a huge mistake, the only person who should approach the referee to get an explanation or question a call is the head coach or a coach he designates on his staff. A fan or media person should never interfere or question a referee on the field during a game. I don't know what he was thinking, The call may have been wrong, but it isn't his place to question it, I guess this might be up to the TSSAA now,

I do like what he does for high school football with the Rivalry Thursday telecasts, that is a good thing, but his personality sometimes comes across as pompous and arrogant, he needs to work on that if he continues to call games.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Packer has a steep hill to climb now,  He made a huge mistake, the only person who should approach the referee to get an explanation or question a call is the head coach or a coach he designates on his staff. A fan or media person should never interfere or question a referee on the field during a game. I don't know what he was thinking, The call may have been wrong, but it isn't his place to question it, I guess this might be up to the TSSAA now,

I do like what he does for high school football with the Rivalry Thursday telecasts, that is a good thing, but his personality sometimes comes across as pompous and arrogant, he needs to work on that if he continues to call games.

I agree with you about the Rivalry Thursday games. We get to see teams that we don’t get to watch. 

6 hours ago, Former44 said:

As far as the Mark Packer thing, I have never been a fan. I have listened to him denigrate high school kids and judge them comparatively as though they were professional athletes with $140 million no-cut contracts. I muted him for good when he commented about a kid, "Well, he is certainly no… so and so!", and he made the comment on a broadcast for the kid's family, friends, teammates and classmates at school to hear.

There is no question that Packer has done a great deal to promote local high school programs and student/athletes; however, in my opinion, this is largely incidental. I think Mark Packer's primary objective is self-promotion and self glorification. After all, Mark Packer is the play-by-play guy, but he doesn't have to be. He could assign someone to the play-by-play position that actually has a modicum of talent for the trade, which he decidedly does not ( I suppose I wouldn't have a problem if he wanted to stand out in the rain and do the sideline interviews and play cornhole). He could still be a benefactor without the unabated need for personal recognition. However, he fancies himself, I believe, as the next Musburger; only, nobody else does, so these high school games are his only outlet. 

I can't speak for everyone, but this is one Farragut fan who has no use for him in the play-by-play role.

Agreed! 100%

On 9/26/2020 at 5:41 PM, rollnoles said:

Good for you guys glad to here. But what was the halftime score with Bearden and last night. Good coaching

Last time I checked the game wasnt decided by the half time score. Lol 

But hey if that gives you some solace then who am I to take that away from ya.  Enjoy that big ol L that got branded on your A $ $  friday night

On 9/27/2020 at 8:46 PM, GREYRIDERx said:

Last time I checked the game wasnt decided by the half time score. Lol 

But hey if that gives you some solace then who am I to take that away from ya.  Enjoy that big ol L that got branded on your A $ $  friday night

Sounds like a DB fan till they loss lol

Edited by rollnoles

On 9/26/2020 at 10:22 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

Why did you expect that, is that the word on the street in Knoxville when you come over to Maryville. Just curious not meaning anything smart by it at all.

I think most teams that play smaller communities that have a single school like Maryville or Oak Ridge feel they are getting biased officiating from the referee association in that community. On both of Maryville's touchdown drives in the first half there were controversial calls in Maryville's favor, both prolonging the drives. In the end it turned out not to effect the final score, but could have effected the mindset of the players.