Haywood at Jackson Southside

reddyrebel6

Game, game, no game, game, no game, game, game, open date,  no game...the South Side game will be Haywood's first game in three weeks.  The Tomcats have not played more than 2 games in a row this season.

I  think the  lack of continuity or consistency has hurt Haywood more than anything else, and I believe that ties into the penalty problem as well.  No amount of practice can substitute for in game situations and experience.

Despite some senseless penalties in the Ripley game, the Tomcats did play well.  I hope the momentum of the Ripley game will carry over into the South Side game this week and the Obion Central game next week.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think Haywood has a very talented team. They might not have you guys believing in them right now, but they are still a good team with a ton of potential. Guys like Jaylen Lewis and Cam Douglas seem to come through year in and year out and make plays time and time again. I do believe the region is more competitive this year from top to bottom. These playoffs could be very interesting. Also I believe it is hard to hold some inconsistencies with teams against them too much due to Covid and the restrictions that they have faced this year. Some places were held out longer than others and had more restrictions that hindered their preparation for the season. Some where full go the whole time and that is the reason they started out more consistent in my opinion. This may not hold true for everyone, but I believe if you did some digging you would be suprised. Also one thing is for sure Coach Smith is a heck of a coach and will put his guys in a position to win. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Game, game, no game, game, no game, game, game, open date,  no game...the South Side game will be Haywood's first game in three weeks.  The Tomcats have not played more than 2 games in a row this season.

I  think the  lack of continuity or consistency has hurt Haywood more than anything else, and I believe that ties into the penalty problem as well.  No amount of practice can substitute for in game situations and experience.

Despite some senseless penalties in the Ripley game, the Tomcats did play well.  I hope the momentum of the Ripley game will carry over into the South Side game this week and the Obion Central game next week.

They’re eager to play most definitely 

2 hours ago, PeabodyPride said:

I really don't know a team thayz not returned mostly seniors that aren't having uncommon issues with penalties,busted coverages and pre snap penalties this year .

Yes, everyone is having some issues and rightfully so. However it has cost Haywood thus far and will continue to do so if it doesn't get resolved in a big way.

3 hours ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

Penalties or not it was a shut out lol. That same ripley team went out a week later and hung 51 on Dyersburg who had no penalties on defense 

Ask any Dyersburg fan how great their defense is. If they are honest they will tell you it's not. 

Good luck with the rest of your season, I hope your guys clean it up and reach their potential.

23 hours ago, BLACKFRIDAY said:

Haywood is good, fast, athletic team. BUT, horribly undisciplined.

They will beat themselves against a good team. (See Covington & South Gibson)

SGC played its best game this season.... I'm not taking anything from Haywood but, SGC did play its best game. I think that Haywood is suffering from the same thing a lot of schools/teams are suffering from. Lack of discipline from the kids. With almost half the kids doing virtual learning, are they getting any discipline at home? I know that it is a problem here.

It does not make a bit of since to me.... You keep your kid at home to protect them from the cooty virus.... BUT you let them go knock the snot out of each other on a football field... O yea and where a mask. That fabric is surely a deterrent. It's magic fabric... Its a new thing called one way fabric...   OK never mind I'll shut up about the whole stupid cooty virus.

The coaches have there work extra cut out for them this year. I believe Haywood has a fine coach and will have them primed for a playoff run.  

• Like 1

It’s kind of fitting how people are throwing shots at both of these teams for “lack of discipline.” I remember listening to a Saturday morning radio show in Lexington (who previously played North Side the night before) saying that the Indians weren’t “disciplined” in the game. Yet, the Indians created more turnovers and had fewer penalties than Lexington. I wonder if teams like Gleason, South Fulton, Gibson County, and Obion Central aren’t “disciplined”... 

• Like 1

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I gained a TON of respect for the boys from Haywood. I saw several players leaving the SGC side of the locker room area..... immediately thought the worse. I thought there were some words spit and some nasty shared.... could not be more wrong. Several of the Tomcats came to the SGC area to congratulate the Hornets on the win..... Much respect. That is all. I wish the cats nothing but success moving forward. 

• Like 3