CPA vs LA

TTate

For those that saw the game what did you think?

Great game with completely different styles of offense...costly turnovers on both sides.  I guess the first play of the game ended up being the difference.  Lipscomb has more speed, CPA has more size and both teams play to their strengths.  I think the state championship will be a rematch and honestly not sure who will be “favored” to win. 

3 hours ago, TTate said:

For those that saw the game what did you think?

Great game with completely different styles of offense...costly turnovers on both sides.  I guess the first play of the game ended up being the difference.  Lipscomb has more speed, CPA has more size and both teams play to their strengths.  I think the state championship will be a rematch and honestly not sure who will be “favored” to win. 

With the two hour delay and all the long tv timeouts, I've enjoyed other games more :)

Lipscomb definitely deserved the win, but I thought we were going to get lucky and pull it out at the end.  In 10 years of watching CPA football, it always seems like special teams is our weakest part of the game, but maybe that is true for high school football in general.

Broome is a special runner.  The quarterback looked very accurate and also ran well.  And the kicker was very impressive with two 47 yard field goals and not allowing a kickoff return all night.  All juniors I believe, so they should be even more impressive next year.

Murphy Fair said before the game he thought it was a matchup where the loser might be in a better position in the playoffs because it would be hard for either team to sweep the other.  I rolled my eyes a bit when he said that, but I want to believe now, LOL.

I know CPA can play a lot better than they did last night.  But perhaps Lipscomb can also.  We just didn't look right, the turnovers, mistakes, and penalties are not normally what we see.  It's not lost on me though that the quality of the opponent can make games appear that way. 

I hope we get to see a rematch.  It's actually fun to have a competitive rival in our region.  I think both programs will get even better because of it.

Here is the link to the TV recording.  It says different teams, but it's the CPA/Lipscomb game.  From what i see the goal line fumble on 4th down was going to be stopped anyway.  The two teams traded fumbles about mid-field.  The final turnover was a late game interception to end the game. 

Lipscomb had 3 huge impact holding penalties that put them way behind the chains to end drives where they were moving the ball with pretty much ease.  Lipscomb let #10 get a breakout run, but the defense appeared to be in a bend, but don't break defense.

I agree with an earlier post that two really well coached and talented teams amplifies any and all mistakes in a big game.  It would be great to see the two play for the championship.  It's always harder to beat a team twice.  I bet both teams make a lot of adjustments for a second game.

http://mytv30web.com/sports/friday-night-rivals/fnr-creek-wood-vs-springfield

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

CPA has changed their lineup and moved 2 RB's to WR to move Patterson to RB for the tough state games, and CPA did get the better bracket by losing. Most folks expect LA to play CPA in Cookeville again. Broome TD on KR to open game set tone and CPA had some chances but LA stood their ground. CPA offense looks bette with Tyler Reid and Will Hays at WR, strong at TE and Langston Patterson will be turned loose at RB, that did not happen vs LA. I feel good about CPA making it to the finals, the other side is up to LA and looks much tougher to get thru Memphis for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. CPA's propensity to start slow is going to hurt them against Lipscomb.  Dilfer has the team well coached and confident. I hope I am wrong but have not seen the true grit from this CPA team that we have seen with past teams.

Edited by jett