Thoughts on William Blount's 2020 Season

Governm

WB needs a break from Maryville. Neither team gets anything out of that game right now and the fans don't get excited. There's no mystery and everyone knows what's going to happen.

After we drop Maryville for a few years and do better in the new region, I bet you anything there will be bigger crowds when we add them back to the schedule in a few years. It will be like when we played Alcoa during Shad's first two years at WB. The crowd at the 2015 Alcoa game was the biggest crowd I have seen at WB since the 2007 Maryville game.

Edited by TheGreatWallofAlnwick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/20/2020 at 11:42 AM, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

WB needs a break from Maryville. Neither team gets anything out of that game right now and the fans don't get excited. There's no mystery and everyone knows what's going to happen.

After we drop Maryville for a few years and do better in the new region, I bet you anything there will be bigger crowds when we add them back to the schedule in a few years. It will be like when we played Alcoa during Shad's first two years at WB. The crowd at the 2015 Alcoa game was the biggest crowd I have seen at WB since the 2007 Maryville game.

Good idea. 

Won't be the first time William Blount and Maryville hadn't met during the season. I can understand possibly why they did this but after watching D-B last Friday Night play Maryville in a very good ballgame it looks as if WB is jumping from the oven to the frying pan except their driving 117 miles to do the jumping.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Won't be the first time William Blount and Maryville hadn't met during the season. I can understand possibly why they did this but after watching D-B last Friday Night play Maryville in a very good ballgame it looks as if WB is jumping from the oven to the frying pan except their driving 117 miles to do the jumping.

DB is graduating 31 seniors, most of them starters, so we'll just have to wait and see what they have next year.   You can get stronger, bigger, faster, etc in the off season but one thing you cannot get is game-time experience.      I still expect DB to be good though, as big as the school is they statistically have to have a fair share of athletes roaming the halls.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 12:37 AM, Red Rebels said:

One of the biggest crowds I’ve ever seen at a Blount County football game was a WB vs Maryville game. I heard 15,000. That’s a lot of $$$ to make up against Karns and Clinton.

Interesting thought about HS football crowd size.   Not sure how it has been down your way the last 50 years, but up here I think the overall crowds were biggest in the 70's, maybe 80's.    There just has not been the same level of enthusiasm up here (NET) in 40 years, of course we generally are not producing championship teams but still the local rivalries should be bringing out way more fans.

So now you drop Alcoa and Maryville for Clinton and Karns Etc?LOL.Shag is looking for some moral wins to get over the #4 bump.Thats one way to do it.Best year this year with a win over a 1A school.

Maryville added better competition with Powell, SH and West. That will only help to prepare for playoffs. 

9 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Interesting thought about HS football crowd size.   Not sure how it has been down your way the last 50 years, but up here I think the overall crowds were biggest in the 70's, maybe 80's.    There just has not been the same level of enthusiasm up here (NET) in 40 years, of course we generally are not producing championship teams but still the local rivalries should be bringing out way more fans.

To many choices for Friday Night in today's world. I set up on the top row at all the games to get a good view of how the play is opening up but I also see 75% of the fans in front of me with their face glued to a phone like what's in front of them on the field isn't enough. I also like going by myself and not dragging someone who doesn't understand beans about football asking 1st grade questions ruining the game for me. I also set around a lot of knowledgeable like minded people that have a full understanding of what's going on like I do.

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

To many choices for Friday Night in today's world. I set up on the top row at all the games to get a good view of how the play is opening up but I also see 75% of the fans in front of me with their face glued to a phone like what's in front of them on the field isn't enough. I also like going by myself and not dragging someone who doesn't understand beans about football asking 1st grade questions ruining the game for me. I also set around a lot of knowledgeable like minded people that have a full understanding of what's going on like I do.

Preach it brother!

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Like band parents!!