LA vs ECS

huntlandIII

11 hours ago, huntlandIII said:

Really nice atmosphere at ECS last night.  Lipscomb dominated on most every aspect of the game but the sportsmanship was great and the host school was very gracious and welcoming.  

Given David Lipscomb was born in Huntland, TN; I’m guessing you’re a fan. Welcome to CoachT. 

ECS’s sportsmanship had to have been exceptional given their opponent was still passing with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, with all their starters still in the game, under a running clock, to go up 49 points...

9 hours ago, BreadTruck28 said:

Given David Lipscomb was born in Huntland, TN; I’m guessing you’re a fan. Welcome to CoachT. 

ECS’s sportsmanship had to have been exceptional given their opponent was still passing with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, with all their starters still in the game, under a running clock, to go up 49 points...

They have sold their souls for a few football wins out there. The true Lipscomb identity is, I am afraid, gone forever. Sad to see. I was appalled to see how their sideline acted this year. Both players AND supposed adults.

Coach Mac would be embarrassed.

• Like 1

You will need to provide some specifics because what I am hearing from Alumni is that Coach Mac has been honored and some important traditions continued.  The highly touted back Broome and family has an incredible linkage to Coach Mac that is not known to many.  Perhaps Nashville will know in time.  The biggest surprise to Alumni that played for Coach Mac is that the current program is no longer afraid to play other private schools in fear of getting athletes recruited away.  Spiritual mentors, academic coaches, nutrition coaches in conjunction with the strength and conditioning program appear to be what has them on a winning trajectory.  So - it sounds like Coach Mac would actually be pleased with traditions carrying on, the ability to play who you want without fear of recruiting issues and a culture of mind, body, soul development.  It sounds like have witnessed something else.  Examples are good.

58 -22

56 - 13

need not to say much but the economic engine of the LA program is Burton Elrod of the two families and many frowned upon behaviors.  Standards of behavior and conduct have fallen in general and many alum duck before talking about school days any more. I work with plenty of em at Vandy. I know of no better man than Dr Fox who owns Donut Den and is a teaching legend from dinosaur days. He told me that this too shall pass when all the Elrod shenanigans came out.

On 11/21/2020 at 3:49 PM, huntlandIII said:

Really nice atmosphere at ECS last night.  Lipscomb dominated on most every aspect of the game but the sportsmanship was great and the host school was very gracious and welcoming.  

Glad you had a positive experience at our school.  Wish we could have made it a better game, but playing without our starting RB (and biggest offensive weapon) certainly didn’t help.  Not that it would have changed the outcome, though.  LA is a very talented football team and played virtually mistake free all night.  It was a great season for the Eagles but we just ran in to a better team on Friday.  
LA vs CPA will be an excellent game for the Gold Ball.  Best of luck to both teams.

1 hour ago, Rastus said:

need not to say much but the economic engine of the LA program is Burton Elrod of the two families and many frowned upon behaviors.  Standards of behavior and conduct have fallen in general and many alum duck before talking about school days any more. I work with plenty of em at Vandy. I know of no better man than Dr Fox who owns Donut Den and is a teaching legend from dinosaur days. He told me that this too shall pass when all the Elrod shenanigans came out.

Are you saying Elrod is still involved with the football program and is part of something sketchy?.....and that you heard this from Norman, the loony owner of the donut den?

Please share some details...this should be good.

13 hours ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

You will need to provide some specifics because what I am hearing from Alumni is that Coach Mac has been honored and some important traditions continued.  The highly touted back Broome and family has an incredible linkage to Coach Mac that is not known to many.  Perhaps Nashville will know in time.  The biggest surprise to Alumni that played for Coach Mac is that the current program is no longer afraid to play other private schools in fear of getting athletes recruited away.  Spiritual mentors, academic coaches, nutrition coaches in conjunction with the strength and conditioning program appear to be what has them on a winning trajectory.  So - it sounds like Coach Mac would actually be pleased with traditions carrying on, the ability to play who you want without fear of recruiting issues and a culture of mind, body, soul development.  It sounds like have witnessed something else.  Examples are good.

58 -22

56 - 13

Coach Mac would be embarrassed by the behaviors shown by both players and coaches on the field and sidelines. The language used by both would never have been tolerated.

He would be embarrassed by the constant self promotion. He always said "when you are good you don't have to tell anybody. They already know." Dilfer is a product of the "Me" generation and it shows.

He would be embarrassed by the need to leave starters in the game up 40+ points and trying to continue to score with big plays. He would have simply run the ball (with subs) to run the clock out.

He would have been embarrassed to have the circus going on around the program. i.e. barbers, concerts,  35 assistant coaches."No yellow anything" etc.

And in all actuality, he would have been embarrassed that the current culture would be used to honor him. He would never have wanted to be a part of it. Mathew 6:5 would have been brought up for sure.

You obviously didn't know him.

3 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Coach Mac would be embarrassed by the behaviors shown by both players and coaches on the field and sidelines. The language used by both would never have been tolerated.

He would be embarrassed by the constant self promotion. He always said "when you are good you don't have to tell anybody. They already know." Dilfer is a product of the "Me" generation and it shows.

He would be embarrassed by the need to leave starters in the game up 40+ points and trying to continue to score with big plays. He would have simply run the ball (with subs) to run the clock out.

He would have been embarrassed to have the circus going on around the program. i.e. barbers, concerts,  35 assistant coaches."No yellow anything" etc.

And in all actuality, he would have been embarrassed that the current culture would be used to honor him. He would never have wanted to be a part of it. Mathew 6:5 would have been brought up for sure.

I honestly think you're correct for the most part.....the first was for sure an issue last year, not so much this year, but I think you're spot on regarding your other points.  I didn't have a huge problem with the 3rd quarter against ECS.  It's a little harder for LA to sub since they have 22 starters and play probably 30-35 every week.  They don't have a ton of backups and for the most part the backups are freshman and underdeveloped sophomores.  The backup QB got hurt in the preseason, so the starter probably plays more than he should.  Up 42-7 at the half and then "winning" the second half 14-6, doesn't seem that bad to me but I agree with throwing the slant in the 3rd made me cringe a little, but that's their offense.

Unfortunately, it takes a little more these days to be successful especially at this level....no more Stewart County, White House, etc on the schedule.  Goodpasture was the biggest game of the year by far (it maybe again soon as their coach is awesome).  Pre Coach Dilfer, we were going down an unsustainable path.  The school was lethargic and apathy had set in with football program.  Tilman's last year, he only had 5 seniors.  There was some talent in the Freshman/Sophomore class that Dilfer is benefitting from, but the football program needed to be overhauled.  Enrollment is up, and the school seems to be in a pretty good spot.  The new headmaster is doing a great job and the coaches in place are solid.

For the most part, the folks complaining about the program/school are the same ones that wish it was still David Lipscomb College with an enrollment of 2,000 and playing basketball in Mcquiddy.  

4 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

You are correct.  I didn't know him.  I was on teams that beat his teams regularly by 50+ points.  I do know quite a few in the Lipscomb community.  Ttate said it, the direction it was headed was miserable.  A lot of the core 22 starters + 11 unique punt team starters (per ECS commentators) have been there for many years.

Still waiting for the loony doughnut guy examples though.  Can't please everyone, but you can minister to everyone.